Heart Rate Of 48 Bpm? Low Or Normal

thms

Hello ALl,

I have a resting heart rate of around 48 bpm..

is this (too) low for a normal energylevel and metabolism?

my hands and feet are also freezing cold during the day.

what would be normal ranges for temp and heartrate?

any tips are welcome thank you

Ella

Forum Supporter
Yes, it too bloody low. Eat more food. More carbs and fruit/sugar. How much food are you eating? Check thyroid!!

OP
thms

thms

I eat Around 4000 kcal a day 3 quarts of milk + potatoes + chocolate + white sugar

Hands are freezing and heart rate is 48 .....

Should i get. My thyroid checked?

DaveFoster

Under 60 is bradycardia; 48 isn't abnormal if you're athletic. Aerobic exercise can lower your heart rate. I workout, but my pulse is always 90 - 100; I'm wanting it to go down closer to 90.

OP
thms

thms

Under 60 is bradycardia; 48 isn't abnormal if you're athletic. Aerobic exercise can lower your heart rate. I workout, but my pulse is always 90 - 100; I'm wanting it to go down closer to 90.
I dont do cardio only weights low reps

How do i get my pulse at 90?? Thyroid hormone?

DaveFoster

I dont do cardio only weights low reps

How do i get my pulse at 90?? Thyroid hormone?
How To Raise Pulse?

Coffee can as well, as can anti-serotonin drugs, most B-vits (niacinamide comes to mind). T3 can of course, as well as bag breathing.

DaveFoster

marsaday

My pulse was always 48 at rest when i was a teenager / 20's. I take T4 and a little T3 now, but no matter what i do i cannot raise my HR. I am very well generally and temp is normal, but HR is always low. It is often now at 40 at rest. As you age HR does drop. I am 45 now. I have always played sport, but i don't do any training as such. Just still very active.

So don't get too worried about the low HR, unless you feel crap. If you are going to try thyroid meds get some blood tests first.

M

member 2106

What can i do to fix this

There are many forum members who will be better placed to advise you on this. I've always had a resting bpm of around 60-75, but my dad has been jogging a lot over the last year, and bpm has dropped significantly to between 40-50bpm.

OP
thms

thms

Ty

My pulse was always 48 at rest when i was a teenager / 20's. I take T4 and a little T3 now, but no matter what i do i cannot raise my HR. I am very well generally and temp is normal, but HR is always low. It is often now at 40 at rest. As you age HR does drop. I am 45 now. I have always played sport, but i don't do any training as such. Just still very active.

So don't get too worried about the low HR, unless you feel crap. If you are going to try thyroid meds get some blood tests first.
Ty

Yes i feel like crap low energy low libido depressed unable to focus

Think i should go see my doctor

OP
thms

thms

I understand but dont do endurance excersize
There are many forum members who will be better placed to advise you on this. I've always had a resting bpm of around 60-75, but my dad has been jogging a lot over the last year, and bpm has dropped significantly to between 40-50bpm.[/QUOTE

I understand but i dont do endurance excersize

aguilaroja

I have a resting heart rate of around 48 bpm...my hands and feet are also freezing cold during the day.
Information gathering from posts is always incomplete. From this and other threads, the situation includes bradycardia, cold extremities, and low libido. It is not clear how well the well-being is. These things together are not common in a young adult. It is possible, or even probable, that there are more symptoms and signs.

Go, and go promptly, to get a careful physician evaluation. If there is no major heart rhythm, metabolic, or neuro-immune disturbance, you can tune up the metabolic supports in a more leisurely way. Sometimes a major physician visit function is to rule out ominous possibilities. And yes, baseline thyroid function testing is part of an evaluation.

In the meantime, get more info by monitoring pulse at different times of day and relating to activities. If there is uncertainty about pulse measurement, there are free smart phone apps (or simple external devices) you can use to double check. If you notice irregularities, skipped beats, chest flutter or pain, dizziness/fainting, etc. seek attention quickly

Last edited:

squanch

I would start with reducing liquids (3 quarts of milk is a lot of fluid, maybe replace some of that with cheese) and increasing salt intake. This should at least improve the cold hands and feet.
You might have to use thyroid and/or caffeine to get the heart rate up.

You could be overtraining too. You said you "train almost every day". I personally can't do something like PPL 6 days / week or similar splits without completely crashing after a few weeks.
Maybe switch to a full body program 3 days / week instead of whatever you are running right now and reduce the volume a bit. If 3 times per week was good enough for Steve Reeves, it should be good enough for you :)

Last edited: