Heart Rate Of 48 Bpm? Low Or Normal

HLP

Focus on healing. Make sure you are sleeping well. Do some walking. Keep in mind, improvements take time and healing will not happen overnight. You should see enough positive things happening each week to stay with this. Rest more if you need to.

OP
thms

thms

thanks all, today had a resting pulse of 72... seems that it comes up nicely

stopped working out so much, cut back to 3 times a week 1 hour ful body training.

been reading a lot about this way of training and it gets me excited to try .

struggeling with the weightgain but want to go on with this diet.

lowered my fat intake somewhat to about 50 grams a day, carbs still at around 500 grams and protein at 150 grams.

should i lose fat with this kind of intake???? i weigh in at 97 kgs at around 14% bodyfat i guess. went up a couple of pounds ..

hope to lose them quik (and then some_)

thanks again for al the help

Herbie

Have you checked alpha destiny on youtube in regards to 2-3 times per week full body?

Herbie

That 5 day splits are great if using anabolic steroids. If not then protein synthesis is increased by doing full body workouts 2-3 days a week and greater volume increasing strength and size.

I enjoy the full body workouts 2-3 times a week because I don't get doms, get faster results and less time spent in the gym.

OP
thms

thms

That 5 day splits are great if using anabolic steroids. If not then protein synthesis is increased by doing full body workouts 2-3 days a week and greater volume increasing strength and size.

I enjoy the full body workouts 2-3 times a week because I don't get doms, get faster results and less time spent in the gym.

Thank you for awaring me.

i am looking into this allso but more on the side of legends like leroy colbert/steve reeves etc...

what kind of results you got from full body ? what are your stats and do you reccomend a specific split? or just 3 sets a bodypart or something?

tara

Can this lead to weightgain?
My picture of it is that if the metabolism has down-regulated because of chronic energy deficit, then it is very likely that it will also have made various other adaptations, including being primed to store any surplus to immediate needs for the next famine, and to insulate the vital organs. That is, refeeding after energy deficit (from chronic overexercise and/or undereating) is often accompanied by weight gain, including adipose tissue, often round the midriff in the first hand.

Can people confirm that high sugar low fat Leads to weightloss?????
Depends on context. Can not be guarantee to work for everyone.

What is your goal, continued energy deficit for the purpose of fat/weight-loss or energy sufficiency for the purpose of restored metabolism and health?

Ella

Forum Supporter
What is your goal, continued energy deficit for the purpose of fat/weight-loss or energy sufficiency for the purpose of restored metabolism and health?
:thumbright

Weight loss and health are not synonymous. Body does not like to lose weight, the laying down of fat is a protective mechanism. Now that the body knows there is an abundance of food, it will not waste it. It does not trust that the cost is clear or that famine is over. You need to be extremely strategic and always, always, the body is wiser than you.

OP
thms

thms

Thanks all,

My goal is to feel better / have more energy. if fatloss comes hand in hand with it then it is a nice bonus but its not the primary concern (if i stay around 12-14%)

think i have an underlying condition because so much foods make my stomach upset/dissend like a balloon.

after eating sugar/milk/lactose/potatoes/coconut oil it swells up like a balloon and dont get flatter until next morning when i wake.

started taking baking soda on an empty stomach, read that this could be helpfull

going to have my blood checked this friday for thyroid and testosterone

HLP

Eat raw carrots and keep your meals a bit smaller until this bloating settles.

tara

My goal is to feel better / have more energy. if fatloss comes hand in hand with it then it is a nice bonus but its not the primary concern (if i stay around 12-14%)
There are no guarantees about this being compatible. There are different approaches. Some people favour gradually increasing calories in step with increasing metabolism, to avoid storing much new adipose tissue. I'm not sure if that is always workable - I suspect that if there has been a longer/bigger deficit, there may need to be abundance for the body to get the message that the famine is over. Not sure where you would fit in this.

think i have an underlying condition because so much foods make my stomach upset/distend like a balloon.
If the digestive system is out of practice at digesting particular foods, or quantities, it may not be adapted for it. If you are lucky it will adapt fairly quickly. An energy deficient system can have trouble maintaining all it'functions well. Hopefully as you improve energy this can improve too. Some people seem to find that they have to pay careful attention to which foods are easier to digest, at least for a while.

after eating sugar/milk/lactose/potatoes/coconut oil it swells up like a balloon and dont get flatter until next morning when i wake.
Different people have trouble with different things. SOme have trouble with milk (eg lactose intolerance/insufficient lactase enzyme). For others the microbiome causes ructions if it gets fed spuds. Experiment. Gastroparesis (slow stomach emptying) and slowed gut transit in general seems to be a common adaptation to energy deficiency, too - it's a way for the body to get more energy from the food before it discards the waste. If this is part of what's happening with you, it may improve fairly soon if you can maintain an adequate supply.

started taking baking soda on an empty stomach, read that this could be helpfull
Unless you are monitoring UpH regularly, I would keep this very small. It is possible to push it too far (a couple of people here got milk-alkali syndrome, I think it was while supplementing calcium and baking soda).

Some of these ideas are not from Peat, but from my reading of Gwyneth Olwyn's writing - she writes for people recovering from eating disorders, but some of the information is relevant for anyone who has experienced undereating for any reason:
Patients and General Public
There's a related thread here:
Recovery From Undereating - Youreatopia

Last edited:
my resting pulse is around 55-65
gym 14 years, 4times / week , and 2 days / week i work hard.
i think its normal.

OP
thms

thms

I think it is safe to say that after bein gone for about 5 years, my libido is returning.

stopped working out 6 days a week and been going 3 times now.

energy increased, heartrate was around 70 just now,..

I want to get my heart rate into the 85's

would thyroid glandular be an option? or does this cause shutdown too?

thank you all for your help it is greatly appricieated.

feeling much better already, even so i gained a little weight, it seems that my weight is going down already, eating 3000 cals a day right now. 4-500 grams of carbs, 50 fats and 140 protein.

HLP

I view thyroid glandular as nourishing food, keeping in mind it's power. Less is more so if you chose to use it, keep the dose small until you figure things out. I also gained a bit of weight at first but feel much stronger with better stamina. A solid night's sleep is also key for me.

OP
thms

thms

thought i was doing everything well

eating fruits, white rice, cod, OJ, white sugar, lactose free milk, goat cheese, carrot a day,

measured my pulse yet again after eating 2 pears, 2 oranges, goat cheese and 20 grams of sugar.

heart rate is at 45 bpm again, it was at around 65-70 consistently last week...

can you guys aware me of the causes of a lower heart rate?

caffeine intake too high/low? today at 400 mgs
intake of white rice the day before? seems odd to me
intolerance to oranges/pears/goatcheese?

dont really know where to look for answers anymore.

didnt track temperature but hands feel ice cold

training 3 days a week for 1,5 hours a session at the moment

thanks again you all for helping me

whodathunkit

@thms, I'm sort of struggling with the same things as you. Some intermittent hypo symptoms, trying to bring up energy and metabolism without taking a ride to the fat farm, etc.

Sometimes eating too much sugar and fruit without enough meaty (rather than milky) protein will give me the same chilly symptoms. Happened a couple nights ago, in fact. And at other times it warms me up. Go figure.

I eat starches like white rice and potatoes and find that including them in my diet helps me feel my best.

Too much coffee when your metabolism isn't ready for it can be detrimental. 400mg caffeine is equivalent to about 4 cups (1000ml) of coffee, which is a lot. Too much caffeine without proper metabolism and liver function in place can drive up cortisol, which can result hypothyroid symptoms and generally cause a lot of problems. Too much coffee gave me a lot of problems last year when I jumped into Peating with both feet. I was drinking about the same amount as you. I have some liver dysfunctions and adrenal/cortisol problems, along with hypothyroid symptoms.

If I was you I'd think about cutting back coffee to no more than 2 cups (about 500ml) per day for a while. A single cup (240ml) would probably be more ideal, at least in the short term. These days I enjoy a single strong cup of coffee with gelatin, sugar and milk in the morning. Perfect. There is no single "right" dose of caffeine. It's very individual.

1.5 hours per session 3x/week is still a lot of weight training even if you're not doing the 5 day splits. Might consider cutting that back to 1.5 hours 2x/week. Training too often, too hard, will drive up your cortisol which can drive you into hypothyroid symptoms and again, cause all kinds of problems. Trust me, when recovering from energy problems more of anything that drives up cortisol is NOT better, whether it's coffee or exercise or PUFA or whatever. 3x/week might be too much for you right now, while you're in recovery mode.

Plus, training too much in the presence of energy deficit will ultimately cause the problem you really don't want: catabolizing your muscle mass (as a result of driving up cortisol). I can't train more than 2x/week right now. And I'm finding that as my metabolsim improves, that's quite enough. I also do other things that contribute to a very fit look but that aren't as strenuous, like Pilates and moderate cardio walking, on the days I don't weight train. Pilates might seem like a girly kind of thing but it really isn't, it kicks a$$, and there's nothing better for making you look good, especially when combined with weight training.

If you have the money, getting a full thyroid panel, including TSH, T3, T4, reverse T3, free T3, and free T4 would probably be beneficial. If nothing else it will show you that you probably do need thyroid hormone.

BUT...IMO it's more about how we feel so I don't bother with lab tests so much any more. We *can* dose thyroid and other things based on how we feel, but if we do we have to be willing to change things up if we seem to be going in a bad direction. Getting locked into a single mindset such as "This much thyroid is what I'm supposed to take", rather than taking the amount that makes you feel good, can be detrimental unless you're using lab tests. Hope that makes sense. Same with coffee or progesterone or anything else.

So, you might consider trying some isolated T3. It's definitely benefited me. I never took very much at all, though. I went through a period last year when I took 2-3 drops every couple of hours, and it seemed to help pull my metabolism up quite a bit. Then I stopped for a while, and all was pretty good. Then I felt like I needed to start up again, but not with the all-day dose. These days I take a few drops in the morning, usually with my coffee, and sometimes a few more drops in the evening...but not every evening. Only when I feel like I need it. And I don't have to take it throughout the day. It's been very helpful in revving up my metabolism. I stay warm almost always, even in cold air conditioned places, and energy seems good and very stable. But do some research before you decide if you want to try the T3. Lots of good info on this board.

I'm still working for optimal metabolism, but T3 and deliberately taking steps to reduce and stabilize cortisol have really seemed to help me. From what you've written, it sounds like a similar strategy might help you, too.

Hope that helps a little bit. Good luck! :)

Last edited:

HLP

I agree with whodathunkit. Only make small changes with dosing thyroid since it takes about one to two weeks to feel the results from making an increase in dose. Be patient. Eat small amounts more often to prevent getting chilly. I find freshly made orange juice strained really warms me up. Keep in mind to only consume hot, warm and cool foods as opposed to frozen or cold which will cool you down too much. Once you get a handle on getting stronger you will experience less inconsistencies. Dress warm to help yourself. I'm nearly 60 yrs. and after being hypothyroid for almost 40 years with those exact issues of being cold with very low pulse and blood pressure, I'm stable after four months of Peating and getting the proper dose of thyroid. You should respond much quicker since you are young. I am very fit for my age strength wise and can still drop to full splits like I did during my teen years. Believe in yourself and you will get there.