Functional Constipation

iLoveSugar

Another confusing piece to the puzzle that I can't crack. For many people, constipation is when they rarely go. I typically go daily, but it's always hard and dry. I have taken charcoal at times, and it typically takes 36-48 hours.

What can help turn these bowel movements into much more soft and relaxing as opposed to the opposite? Cascara doesn't help the slightest. Neither does a carrot salad.

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
Another confusing piece to the puzzle that I can't crack. For many people, constipation is when they rarely go. I typically go daily, but it's always hard and dry. I have taken charcoal at times, and it typically takes 36-48 hours.

What can help turn these bowel movements into much more soft and relaxing as opposed to the opposite? Cascara doesn't help the slightest. Neither does a carrot salad.
I heard about the fix it naturally guy, T. C. Hale, and watched a bunch of his you tube videos about digestion, constipation, etc. They are very informative and he gives some suggestions on things to try. They helped me.

Don

You could try experimenting with various forms and doses of magnesium orally.

Peater

Taurine and B2 are the two not so obvious options that work for me. Cheap and easy enough to try.

youngsinatra

B1, B5, alpha lipoic acid and low dose magnesium help me tremendously.

I think they help by increasing pyruvate dehydrogenasee activity, which is needed for the systemic supply of acetyl-CoA, which is needed for acetylcholine synthesis.

Acetylcholine largely controls the vagus nerve / the enteric nervous system. (HCL, bile flow, digestive enzymes, motility, peristalsis…)

Peater

How do you dose them? And what products do you use?
Half a teaspoon of taurine powder and a 400mg capsule of plain riboflavin B2 (Not every day).

It all comes out the same factory I just made sure there were no fillers in the B2.

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
When I tried taurine supplements it worsened my constipation.

Peater

Also it's controversial in the low A area but egg yolks definitely helped too. I assume the choline. Like I say, not strictly approved. But, I hate that feeling of not being able to go. Life is about tradeoffs.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

I've been using magnesium glycinate and also taking Epsom salt baths. Is this the magnesium you all are referring to?

Bozidar

Forum Supporter

Coffee and dark chocolate work for me as the initiator of a bowel movement and as a softener.
Two very discouraged substances by this forum, but I cannot initiate a bowel movement any other way if I want to go every day.
If you want just a softener, I would say soluble fiber. It draws the water in making it soft.

Dutchie

Coconut oil keeps my bowels soft and moist, though it doesn't move them out on their own.

Wolf

Hydrated chia at 1 tbsp per 16 oz water and 100mg vitamin c dissolved in said water works well. Vitamin c helps prevent aggregation of chia into clumps
I generally do taurine or TUDCA just prior(hour or so) to ensure that it isn’t related in some fashion to bile flow.

youngsinatra

I know some people that fixed their 30 year long constipation / sluggish digestion with the „Bean Protocol“ by Karen Hurd. Some responded very well to B1 or B5. Some to methylation supplements like B12/folate/riboflavin/choline/TMG. Some to nicotine. Others to coffee or coffee enemas. Others to thyroid. Depends on the person, a lot.

Kyle970

So constipation is lack of motility thing, easy.
Then there is allergy/intestinal inflammation.
Not sure if folks are aware, there is a difference.

youngsinatra

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals