What Is Going On With Me? Fatigue, Burning Legs, Skin And Gut Problems

Quaid

I get the exact same thing. Been driving me mad. I had thought it was maybe attributed to high ferritin, but really don't have a clue. Like you, I have had it for a few years now.

Burning (difficult to describe) sensation in both legs, from just above the knee and down, including feets. Any time I am in motion the sensation subsides completely, but my legs feel rather weak.

Hi!

I am at a lost here, and would really need some help. Sorry about the length of this thread but I wanted to share all the things I have observed regarding my health. I really hope you have the time to read it through and please don't hesitate to come with any suggestions or thoughts you might have.

Background
27 year old, male. Skinny-fat - 6 feet 2,5 inches. 169 lbs with most fat accumulated around stomach, thighs, breast, face(?)). Whenever I start eating more I pretty quickly accumulate fat around stomach, breast and my fat looks more bloated. I also look young for my age, with very little body hair. I feel that the health problems I will share below is stopping me from having a great life at the moment and it also makes me avoid certain social occasions. Next year I am graduating from university and want to have great social skills in the job interviews so I am determined to fix this. It's not like I am depressed, it's more like I just want to be the best healthiest person I can be.

Symptoms
  • Intense Tingling/Crawling/Burning (difficult to describe) sensation in both legs, from just above the knee and down, including feets. Any time I am in motion the sensation subsides completely, but my legs feel rather weak. This started occurring perhaps three years ago and I am really worried what it could be. My doctor noted several similarities with Restless legs syndrome, and suggested I could try Pramipexole (dopamine agonist) in a low dose (starting with 0,09 mg and if needed up to 0,54 mg per day). I think it's too early to tell but thinking it may have some effect at 0,18 mg. Not sure if placebo, but I think it may have a positive effect on my well-being as well. Only side effect I noticed was if I take it too close to bed-time I get insomnia, but if I take it a few hours earlier I instead get really tired in the evening.
  • Lately been having frequent headaches; when I for example look at the computer screen or trying to read I can't really focus my eyes.
  • Brain fog - Must have been many years ago since I last felt that I could think clearly. It's like I can't picture things clearly in my head.
  • Feeling tired and sometimes a bit dizzy, weak legs, excessive yawning especially in the evenings.
  • Sleep is not perfect, going to sleep early but I wake up at least 1-2 times a night.
  • Feeling quite stressed sometimes, and anxiety can be high. I have had panic attacks, but this is rarely.
  • My skin get dry and irritated (red) when I sit in front of laptops, computer screens, mobile screen for some time. I have experienced this for many years and I believe it started occuring at the time I was on tetracyclines. Phototoxicity? Recently started using a SPF 30 zinc oxide cream which helps a little bit.
  • Acne problems for the last 10 years (been on several rounds of tetracyclines, two rounds of Accutane, all the topical prescriptions cream out there, with only temporarily effects. It used to be much worse, and could nowadays be described as relatively mild papulopustular acne, but it still has a rather profound negative effect on my well-being. Interesting fact here is that I pretty much always break out badly, accompanied with a red face, after I have been out in the sun, but it have gotten much better since I started using the SPF 30 zinc oxide cream.
  • Facial bloating - I can feel that I look bloated in my face.
  • IBS symptoms including:
  • Acid reflux: If I eat and lie down I get acid reflux problems. This I can feel at night when laying down as well. Whenever I swallow I will get a gurgling upwards sensation in my throat
  • Quite often presence of mucus in stools and usually a lot of sticky yellow on toilet paper.
  • Loose stools . In the morning I need to go to the bathroom between 1-4 times before I can go out "without fear". Interestingly I rarely need to go the bathroom more times after this during the day.
Diet
I am still transitioning into some "RP guidelines", but diet consists of potatoes, white rice, zucchini, cheese, orange juice, grass fed ground beef, cod, coconut oil, butter, oranges, watermelon, honeydew, grapes, eggs (two a day) lamb liver (100g weekly), and salmon, tuna and chicken occasionally. Prior to this I used to eat a Fodmap diet, Paleo and no dairy whatsoever. I haven not intentionally eaten any PUFA oils or similar for years. See attached files for an example day. In the attached file I have listed the raw carrot salad, however, I have stopped it as I notice very small carrots pieces in stools and on toilet paper the next day after I have eaten it. I also notice this sometimes with tomatoes, and not sure what this could mean.

Supplements: Estroban one serving (8 drops) every morning. Apart from this I take, as mentioned, Pramipexole and also Desloratadin for grass allergy.

Blood tests

Recent tests from two weeks ago
(fasting 8 am):
Hemoglobin (Hb) 140 g/L (134-170)
Cortisol 489 nmol/L
Testosterone 20,7 nmol/L (4,9-32) (577 ng/dl)
SHBG 33,4 nmol/L (13,1-57,4)
TSH 1,8 miU/L (0,4-4.0)
Glucose 5,4 nmol/L (4,0-7,5)

Tests from june 2016 (just to add in some other measures)
Ferritin 201 µg/L (30-400)
Homocysteine 9,6 µmol/L (<15)
Folate 5,4 nmol/L (>7,0) (July 25 after supplementation with Folate and B-complex: 30,9)
Vitamin B12 430 pmol/L (140-650)
Albumin 48 g/L (36-48)
Iron 15 µmol/L (9-34)
Transferrin 28,4 µmol/L (24-41)
Hemoglobin (Hb) 129 g/L (134-170) (July 25 131 g/L)

Thank you for taking the time to read.

Mito

I get the exact same thing. Been driving me mad. I had thought it was maybe attributed to high ferritin, but really don't have a clue. Like you, I have had it for a few years now.

Burning (difficult to describe) sensation in both legs, from just above the knee and down, including feets. Any time I am in motion the sensation subsides completely, but my legs feel rather weak.
Do the symptoms occur at night during sleep?

Mito

no, mainly during the day when sitting. burning sensation usually goes away when I start to move.
Those types of symptoms occur in RLS but if it doesn't occur at night then its unlikely RLS.

Quaid

Those types of symptoms occur in RLS but if it doesn't occur at night then its unlikely RLS.

interesting. I thought it may have been related to a hormonal imbalance as I've noticed hair loss on my entire body except my head. tinnitus also. I'm new to this group, so hoping that incorporating the views on this board would help resolve my symptoms.