CONSTIPATION

FitnessMike

a teaspoon of baking soda washed with water on an empty stomach

GreekDemiGod

I almost hate to say it but Florassist GI with Phage Technology worked within 12 hours of the first dose for me. I don’t know if it would work the same for everyone though.
Tried it a while back, felt nothing from it.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Tried it a while back, felt nothing from it.
It’s so interesting how things can impact us all differently. I took one bottle and it really helped me get sorted out after some bowel issues.

YamnayaMommy

I need help with something that will make my bowel movements soft and easy. I have the urge to go daily, and do for the most part, but always dry and very straining.

Cascara only helps with the urge to go and doesn't help with softening, so that's not a suggestion.
Have you tried a lot of ripe fruit?

Ripe pears, cooked apples and mangos, kiwis, ripe figs? These reliably soften stools for me and they always, 100%, make my kids’ bowels move.

YamnayaMommy

I need help with something that will make my bowel movements soft and easy. I have the urge to go daily, and do for the most part, but always dry and very straining.

Cascara only helps with the urge to go and doesn't help with softening, so that's not a suggestion.
Also, I should say that my experience has been that wheat and excessive gelatin and sugar cause hard and difficult BMs. Like, a weekend where we eat pizza out and I eat a bunch of haribo products is a weekend I regret majorly on Monday.

aniciete

Cocoa powder, gelatin, saturated fat (from ground beef), kiwi and starch free diet works great. Milk/dairy can be constipating for some people.

A few things that can lower methane producing bacteria are coriander, allicin, coconut oil, squalamine, undecylenate, atrantil and ginger.
Do you know the reason why dairy fat can be constipating? Does too much fat slow down transit time leading to constipation?

Hans

Forum Supporter
Do you know the reason why dairy fat can be constipating? Does too much fat slow down transit time leading to constipation?
Have you used butter and cream on its own and that was constipating? Not sure why. Saturated fat should help with transit time. IME, if I have too much fat which I'm not used to, it can slow my transit time.

aniciete

Have you used butter and cream on its own and that was constipating? Not sure why. Saturated fat should help with transit time. IME, if I have too much fat which I'm not used to, it can slow my transit time.
Yeah Ive tried butter and cream and it caused the same thing. The only kind of dairy that helps my transit time is lowfat milk. Maybe it’s the hormones in the milk fat I’m sensitive to? Whenever I eat a bunch of coconut oil it actually helps transit time. The only way for myself to tolerate full fat dairy products is by taking a bunch of magnesium supplements but those cause their own problems.

Summer

Moving around throughout the day was the cure for me. Especially important if you have a desk job.

Hans

Forum Supporter
Yeah Ive tried butter and cream and it caused the same thing. The only kind of dairy that helps my transit time is lowfat milk. Maybe it’s the hormones in the milk fat I’m sensitive to? Whenever I eat a bunch of coconut oil it actually helps transit time. The only way for myself to tolerate full fat dairy products is by taking a bunch of magnesium supplements but those cause their own problems.
Hmm, not sure. Dairy fat and tallow don't differ that much, so not sure why you'd get that response from dairy fat. It could be the hormones if you are very sensitive, but absorption of those hormones is very poor and doesn't affect your own hormones. Perhaps it's the additives.

dogtrainer

PHGG and Bifido probiotics worked for me

GreekDemiGod

I'm also using PHGG now, haven't noticed much from it, maybe I should increase the dose. I take a 5g scoop 1-2 times / day.

ElenaB

I almost hate to say it but Florassist GI with Phage Technology worked within 12 hours of the first dose for me. I don’t know if it would work the same for everyone though.
interesting, I got off all probiotics, Im still new to Ray Peat, but I am under the impression that he is anti-probiotics...But if it works as a solution occasionally (as in, not taking it daily), perhaps its ok...Anyone know more about Dr. Peat's view on Probiotics as a solution for constipation?