Brainfog that can fluctuate rapidly. Interested to hear your experiences.

BleuCheese

Hello RPF. I've been strafing the forum for awhile after trying keto/carnivore for a couple years in an attempt to resolve my stubborn brain fog/fatigue. Nightmarish anxiety and fatigue before that for pretty much most of my life. I felt some pretty immediate benefits, and felt much more mentally stable overall, but never really "adapted" and lost an incredible amount of creative energy, personality and drive. I switched to a "peaty" diet about a year ago, and right off the bat, felt much better, and my tolerance to carbohydrates has improved a lot over the past year. A carbohydrate meal used to just wipe me out until about 6 months ago. Now it makes me feel better most of the time.

However, I am still struggling tremendously with brain fog, in many ways it seems to be getting worse, but its how it manifests that I REALLY wanna drill down. First off, its heavily tied to my digestion, in that a BM will produce an immediate and sharp cognitive change. I tend to be constipated so I worry about making that worse. I have done OK with the carrot salad in the past, but last week it seriously slowed me up and things arent quite normal again. Second, it can fluctuate hour by hour in EXTREME fashion. One moment I feel modestly clear, relaxed, socially adept, the next moment, complete fog and crippling anxiety. And overall, my anxiety has been trending worse since I started peating, but my personality/creativity/optimism is increasing tremendously. Its pretty heavy right now, so I feel like I cant quite explain what I want to explain.

For example, yesterday I had a moment of euphoria that had me wandering around the yard like it was the first time i'd ever seen nature in my life. The whole world almost felt like a beautiful tapestry. Then today, after taking AC and Cascara Sagrada last night (and feeling immediately calmer), slept great, my mental state was like 7/10 in the morning, 3/10 after a glass of OJ (which doesn't really seem to make my digestion any worse, but eating anything changes my clarity quick), suddenly 8/10 out of nowhere, worse again an hour later, etc, etc. All with a general background anxiety that is fairly persistent. I feel like my eyes are darty, like im trying to take in too much. And something trivial, like touching paper with dry hands, is just uncomfortable, anxiety inducing. Almost a bit autistic feeling. This is what distictly went away on carnivore, maybe because of lower bacteria/endotoxin?

Diet and supps for those curious.
Food
-OJ (Freshly squeezed only recently, but usually just Minute Maid from concentrate)
-Milk (recently switched from cows to goats milk)
-Cheese (Occasionally - slice or so a day on eggs/beef)
-Eggs (2 a day)
-Coffee (200-300 mg a day worth of caffeine)
-Ground beef (6 oz or so a day)
-Sweet Potato (1 a day)
-Mushrooms (Couple spoonfuls on the eggs)
-Carrot Salad (Helps a ton, but constipated me so I stopped)

All prepared how you would expect, starch boiled to mash, mushrooms cooked throughly, pulp strained etc.

Supps
-Charcoal (twice a week, about 6-8 capsules, relaxes me to an amazing degree)
-Progest-E (a drop every night)
-Aspirin (one a day)
-Glycine (6-8 grams at night)
-Vitamin E (capsule once a week)
-Thiamine/Niacinamide (20mg of each per day, with a high dose a couple times a week)
-Vitamin K (drop on tongue twice a week)
-Cyproheptadine (Haven't used much but when I tried 2mg, it totally KOd me, but felt better afterward)

Sorry if this post comes out incoherent, but heres my general line of thinking. Im pretty conservative about my supplement routine as to try and take the slow and steady approach to fixing myself. For some reason taking high dose anything for weeks at a time makes me nervous in that I feel like im perturbing any sort of balance I have. Im a bit fearful of trying anything too aggressively for some reason. Its like, in my mental model of my situation, I want slow but firm improvement as opposed to taking something in too high of a dose for a temporary improvement. Plus, it sorta crushes my spirit to feel amazing and then feel terrible again, I am almost in a bit of learned helplessness and prefer stability (what little I can get).

If im in this perpetual not-quite-right-but-feeling-closer-sometimes state, would it make sense to be aggressive about supplementing something like cyproheptadine for a few weeks or a month? What might be able to push me over the edge and get me to a state of stability? The reduction of endotoxin via carrot/AC helps, but I just can't keep having moments of temporary improvement, its driving me crazy.

Im 21, my weight is now finally normal, skin is silky, hair stopped falling out, physical energy is anywhere from 6/10 to 9/10. But I feel like slowly over months im trending worse in the anxiety department, with, as ive described, radical exceptions to the norm. I just wanna be socially fluid so I can be a 21 year old for goodness sake.

Anyways, I just wanted to hear your thoughts and experiences, if anything helped you push through some fluctuating digestion and anxiety issues, etc. I think my plan of action is to take 2mg of cypro per night for a few weeks and see if it breaks the cycle. Maybe I just need a bit of confidence to shoot for actual resolution as opposed to marginal improvement, but idfk.

Edit:
Forgot to mention I did a 5 day course of Minocycline and saw some improvements but nothing mind blowing.

Last edited:
I cannot drink oj or eat any fruit in the morning on an empty stomach.. and i cannot drink coffee in the morning either (even after eating food).. or i will be seriously spaced out all day and the next day. However i can drink oj 2-3 hours after eating breakfast (just eggs for me).. and i can drink coffee 1/2 hour after lunch.. without being spacey at all. I think possibly in the fall/winter (when digestion is stronger) i can handle oj and coffee in the morning (i was able to all of last fall/winter).

I need to pay attention to when i eat things. This follows Ayurvedic recommendations. Have you ever looked into Ayurveda?

Also watch the video from this thread if you haven’t already: Haidut Interview - Doctor Age Reversal - How To Accomplish Metabolic Flexibility The Key to a Longer Life (Georgi Dinkov Interview)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals