Anti Serotonin Guide (Lifestyle/ Diet)

jaywills

I would like to pool together a 'go to guide' to reduce serotonin as this seems a common problem on this forum.

I too am suffering from all the classic symptoms of High Serotonin and am looking to introduce measures to reduce the lethargy, learned helplessness, brain fog and fatigue.

A diet low in toxins and easily digestible foods seems the ideal way to reduce serotonin. A nutritious diet plan with limited liquids and plenty of vitamins and minerals seems essential.

Below are the starters I have gauged that help reduce serotonin. Please help me to fill in the gaps and suggest an ideal diet:

Checklist

[*]Keep metabolism high and keep bowel movements frequent
[*]carrot salad/cascara segrada/ activated charcoal to remove toxins
[*]Keep fibre low
[*]Eat ripe fruit that digests well; i.e remove fruit that causes irritation.
[*]reduce inflammatory amino acids; specifically muscle meats and supplement with glycine/taurine and gelatin
[*]drink coffee to cleanse the liver
[*]Keep carbohydrates moderate, protein and saturated fats (coconut oil and butter) sufficient to aid digestion (40,40,20 macro split)
[*]Reduce PUFAs as much as possible.

If anybody can list a diet plan that has given personal success, it would be hugely appreciated.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Would be awesome if this information would turn into a wiki entry for things that lower serotonin. We could build off the list below and add citations. Anyone up to the task? :mrgreen:

http://beesandbutterflies.org/21378/way ... 378#q21378

edit: here is the link to the wiki. Who is going to build our first article? I think a lowering serotonin article would be an excellent start! https://raypeatforum.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Oh and I would like to add Lisuride to the list. haidut has posted some studies recently about this.

OP
J

jaywills

Thanks for the replies guys, and yes Charlie I believe this would eb very handy - maybe when I have some more time I may try to create one.

Where can Lisuride be bought and haven't heard of l-lysine before Greg, can you explain the mechanisms behind your suggestion?

tara

jaywills said:
[*]Keep carbohydrates moderate, protein and saturated fats (coconut oil and butter) sufficient to aid digestion (40,40,20 macro split)
Hi jaywills,
This might work well for some people, but it seems to imply quite high protein and relatively low carbs for many? I would expect many of us are eating at least 2:1 or more of carbs to protein. I'd be guessing more like 20ish% protein, and 40-60% carbs?
What's your thinking here? Is there something about this that is particular to serotonin?

Kasper

- First, be a gratefull person.
- Don't focus on the demands of other people, your fears and your need for immediately pleasure
- Focus on what you really want for your life instead. Have a vision for what you want from your life.
- Focus on why you want that.
- Celebrate it if you are living that vision.

Okay, I will stop this american motivational speaker mode ^^
but seriously, I think there is something to it I think, I think we focus too much on food. But if you don't have something to wake up for every morning, it will be much harder I think to keep serotonin low. There are much natural non diet related ways to boost dopamine (and therefore inhibit serotonin). Diet is important of course, but I think I sometimes overlook that just having a life is also important for health.

YuraCZ

jaywills said:
I[*]drink coffee to cleanse the liver
coffee enemas are much more effective for the liver detox than just drink it..

pboy

the biggest factor that trumps all is having a ton of wisdom and experience and 'faith', or knowing how the cosmos works, and an incredible will, and a refusal to have your story go how it shouldn't be, and a clean conscience...clean conscience is huge

this is again a realm where the beyond food is of paramount importance

many situations ive been in in life, im pretty sure nearly every other person would have let at least some level or serotonin set in, and/or not be as decisive despite basically almost entirely obstructed life with tremendous fear being thrown my way. Because of all the above, I executed decisively and made it through and it seems like 'luck' or 'fortune' was on my side at crucial moments, but really it was because of all the above and the steady chipping away, the energy and intent in everything I did, not pausing or giving in for a moment

clean conscience is so huge because..if theres any bit of 'guilt' within you, the giving up or feeling bad or letting serotonin in is a natural thing. If its truly like, I don't deserve this and I know it, and people in your life that you meet seem to want you to succeed because you're genuinely a good person, those factors can promote incredible will

pboy

on a serious note too, almost nothing beats gangster rap or legit hard rock to give a huge boost to breaking serotonin and getting your **** moving and feeling capable, try it. Basically any kind of dope music with a powerful beat, deep notes, electric vibe, whatever...you know what I mean, it can be of many genres. having a sub and blasting it helps

OP
J

jaywills

Kaspsr and pboy I have never viewed serotonin via a psychological standpoint, only nutrition and the physical connection to the gut. I have been listening to loud music as per your advice and can certainly vouch for the increase in dopamine. Also changing the mindset after many years of negativity is challenging but one that needs to be done to alter my state. My next step is lysine which I see is gaining ground on the forum as an effective supplement.

tara

pboy said:
on a serious note too, almost nothing beats gangster rap or legit hard rock to give a huge boost to breaking serotonin and getting your **** moving and feeling capable, try it. Basically any kind of dope music with a powerful beat, deep notes, electric vibe, whatever...you know what I mean, it can be of many genres. having a sub and blasting it helps

I'm sure this works for some people, but I don't think it would for me. I'd be more inclined to get irritable and/or shut down from loud noise stress. Probably raise my serotonin rather than lower it.

Amazoniac

tara said:
pboy said:

I'm sure this works for some people, but I don't think it would for me. I'd be more inclined to get irritable and/or shut down from loud noise stress. Probably raise my serotonin rather than lower it.

For some reason I always thought that those who enjoy agressive music are very mentally calm and passive and those who prefer light music are dealing with a storm inside. I don't know if it applies to you, but to me this was always what appeared beneath the surface..

tara

Amazoniac said:
tara said:
pboy said:

For some reason I always thought that those who enjoy agressive music are very mentally calm and passive and those who prefer light music are dealing with a storm inside. I don't know if it applies to you, but to me this was always what appeared beneath the surface..

I think maybe intolerance of loud noise is a low thyroid symptom - not sure if it is related to high serotonin. I've had trouble with it all my life. Sure, I'd love to get my serotonin levels down in a sustainable way, since it's probably a key contributor to wrecking my life. But I was commenting because listening to very loud music was proposed as a way to reduce serotonin if it is too high, and I'm sceptical.

Sirkama

^ Based on my own experience and what I've read, noise sensitivity is largely a magnesium deficiency problem, often with low thyroid function at the core.

narouz

tara said:
Amazoniac said:
tara said:
pboy said:

I think maybe intolerance of loud noise is a low thyroid symptom - not sure if it is related to high serotonin. I've had trouble with it all my life. Sure, I'd love to get my serotonin levels down in a sustainable way, since it's probably a key contributor to wrecking my life. But I was commenting because listening to very loud music was proposed as a way to reduce serotonin if it is too high, and I'm sceptical.

I guess pboy knows what kind of music gets him going in a good way.
But I'm with you, tara.
If there was loud gangsta rap or heavy metal (I mean like Metallica and that sort of ilk)
playing in my house--
or even soft gangsta rap or heavy metal, for that matter :lol:--
I'm pretty sure they'd be putting me in the ground within a few days.

narouz

I have been hypothyroid at times,
and therefore likely low in magnesium.
So...it might be true about magnesium and loud music.

However, if I knew it were true
that if I supplemented magnesium in certain amounts
I would start listening to gangsta rap and heavy metal...
I think I'd remain magnesium deficient. :lol:

natedawggh

jaywills said:
I would like to pool together a 'go to guide' to reduce serotonin as this seems a common problem on this forum.

I too am suffering from all the classic symptoms of High Serotonin and am looking to introduce measures to reduce the lethargy, learned helplessness, brain fog and fatigue..
If anybody can list a diet plan that has given personal success, it would be hugely appreciated.

I wrote this a few days ago (and ironically experienced a migraine most of the day today because I drank a half gallon of milk last night...to clarify, I love milk and think its great, I just have a very high serotonin conversion of tryptophan). viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6986

I would add to this experience that very high calcium intake also dramatically lowers serotonin.