Autism, Charcoal, Endotoxin, My Experience

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I saw canned bamboo shoot in the supermarket before. Only water and salt as the other ingredients. I don't know if they are cooked or not, but I would guess they are cooked. I tried them before and I didn't like the taste; it tasted like something between pickles and olives which was a weird taste for me.
If you boil the canned bamboo shoots for about twenty minutes they seem to taste better.

sweetpeat

If anyone tried to make a cake with milk powder instead of flour, please let me know how it turned out. I'm really curious. @StressedMom

I tried this recipe a few years ago (when I was experimenting with gluten-free) and thought it was ok. It doesn't use milk powder, but it is flourless. So maybe it would meet your needs?
Ingredients: 7 oz semisweet chocolate, 3/4 cup butter, 1 cup sugar, 4 eggs (separated).

Preheat oven to 300F. Melt choc and butter in a double boiler. Stir together half the sugar with the four egg yolks; add to melted choc/butter concoction.

Beat the egg whites with electric mixer, then slowly add remaining 1/2 cup sugar until stiff peaks form. Fold this mixture into chocolate mixture. Then pour all into a greased 9-inch cake pan.

Bake 40 min, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out with just a few crumbs on it. Cool 30 min before removing from pan. Dust with powdered sugar if you want.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Someone mentioned that putting parmesan cheese on cooked bamboo shoots tasted like macaroni and cheese. I'm not sure if it would pass the taste test with a picky eater child but it might be worth trying.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
OH my @Blossom, this is AWESOME!! Thank you for sharing. My husband is going to LOVE you - lol...
It's been a big hit every time I've made it. Regular chocolate cake pales in comparison IMO. I hope you and hubby enjoy.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
@scarlettsmum, I was wondering if your daughter might like panna cotta? Here's a recipe I found that looks fairly simple. I'll keep my eyes out for starch free recipes that your daughter might like.
Panna Cotta recipe

sweetpeat

Looks like Blossom was adding her link at the same time I was typing in my recipe. Hers definitely looks tastier with that chocolate glaze!

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Looks like Blossom was adding her link at the same time I was typing in my recipe. Hers definitely looks tastier with that chocolate glaze!
You should post your recipe sweetpeat since you have tried it out and haven't had the panna cotta recipe I posted.:)
@scarlettsmum, I thought of fudge as another no starch treat your daughter might like. Here's a recipe I found with Peat friendly ingredients.
Old-Fashioned Chocolate Fudge Recipe

InChristAlone

Wow, I'm glad that my opinion is similar to his on treating baby teeth!!

tara

She wants bread with Nutella.
Have you tried making your own chocolate spread to see if she is willing for a lower PUFA alternative? Eg. condensed milk or creamed coconut and sugar with cocoa?

If anyone tried to make a cake with milk powder instead of flour, please let me know how it turned out. I'm really curious.
+1 for fudge.
I also experimented with flourless ginger biscuits - I have no idea of proportions, but sugar, milk powder, butter, eggs, golden syrup, ginger powder. Could probably smuggle in a bit of calcium powder if you thought that was needed. I thought they tasted great, but the milk doesn't work so well for me.

Would variations on jellied cheese cake be a goer?

L

lollipop

@Blossom I made that chocolate cake today - yummmmmmmy @scarlettsmum your daughter might love it - very light texture but good chocolate flavor. This will be a party favorite for years to come!

L

lollipop

I also experimented with flourless ginger biscuits - I have no idea of proportions, but sugar, milk powder, butter, eggs, golden syrup, ginger powder. Could probably smuggle in a bit of calcium powder if you thought that was needed. I thought they tasted great, but the milk doesn't work so well for me.
@tara would colostrum powder work in your flourless ginger cookies?

StrongMom

@scarlettsmum

There should be a browni recipe in this forum. If I remember it correctly, 4 eggs, 1 cup sugar, 1 cup cocoa, 1/4 cup coconut oil and some salt. I make it quite often, and everyone loves it. Sometimes I add a little bit of gelatin or ricotta cheese as well.

Also, in any recipe, i replace some of the flour with milk powder or gelatin. For example, if the original recipe calls for 2 cups of flour, I use 1.5 cups flour, 0.5 cup gelatin or milk powder. It is better than nothing. Also I use sprouted flour.

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

I tried this recipe a few years ago (when I was experimenting with gluten-free) and thought it was ok. It doesn't use milk powder, but it is flourless. So maybe it would meet your needs?
Ingredients: 7 oz semisweet chocolate, 3/4 cup butter, 1 cup sugar, 4 eggs (separated).

Preheat oven to 300F. Melt choc and butter in a double boiler. Stir together half the sugar with the four egg yolks; add to melted choc/butter concoction.

Beat the egg whites with electric mixer, then slowly add remaining 1/2 cup sugar until stiff peaks form. Fold this mixture into chocolate mixture. Then pour all into a greased 9-inch cake pan.

Bake 40 min, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out with just a few crumbs on it. Cool 30 min before removing from pan. Dust with powdered sugar if you want.

Thank you, i will try yours and Blossoms and see what we like best.

Someone mentioned that putting parmesan cheese on cooked bamboo shoots tasted like macaroni and cheese. I'm not sure if it would pass the taste test with a picky eater child but it might be worth trying.

I am just not sure about these, seems so foreign to my tastes. When I go to a large wholesaler next time I might pick one up just to try it.

@scarlettsmum, I was wondering if your daughter might like panna cotta? Here's a recipe I found that looks fairly simple. I'll keep my eyes out for starch free recipes that your daughter might like.
Panna Cotta recipe

I have tried panna cotta, she doesn't like it because of the dairy and also she's not so keen on gelatinous sweets and desserts. But if you find any other recipes, please do let me know. :) I am going to look up pinterest for RP inspired recipes to see if there is anything interesting as well.

You should post your recipe sweetpeat since you have tried it out and haven't had the panna cotta recipe I posted.:)
@scarlettsmum, I thought of fudge as another no starch treat your daughter might like. Here's a recipe I found with Peat friendly ingredients.
Old-Fashioned Chocolate Fudge Recipe

Thank you!

Wow, I'm glad that my opinion is similar to his on treating baby teeth!!

Yes, but keep in mind that he is not a dentist. :) For example my daughter has one of her molars (number 5) badly affected and they are not even sure if it can be saved or if they will have to give her a temporary crown. Unfortunately the tooth can't be pulled out because the molar needs to be there for the next 6 years to keep the space filled otherwise in 6 years time, when her permanent molars start coming through, teeth number 3 and 4 will take up space of tooth number 5 and she'll end up with crooked crowded teeth. So in general I absolutely agree with him in terms of as little intervention as possible but I am also listening to the dentist.

Have you tried making your own chocolate spread to see if she is willing for a lower PUFA alternative? Eg. condensed milk or creamed coconut and sugar with cocoa?

+1 for fudge.

Would variations on jellied cheese cake be a goer?

I haven't looked into that. Do you think it is worth it? There are only 10-15% of nuts in Nutella and is made with refined palm oil. I looked up the organic spreads but they have around 50% nuts and are made with sunflower oil, so I figured Nutella is ok?

I'll have to do a search for flourless cakes, biscuits, desserts that hide dried milk in them. She won't eat the obviously made from dairy ones such as cheesecakes, etc.

@Blossom I made that chocolate cake today - yummmmmmmy @scarlettsmum your daughter might love it - very light texture but good chocolate flavor. This will be a party favorite for years to come!

Wow, you are quick! :) We were still finishing one I made earlier with flour and it showed this morning as soon as she had it for breakfast she started hitting me.

@scarlettsmum

There should be a browni recipe in this forum. If I remember it correctly, 4 eggs, 1 cup sugar, 1 cup cocoa, 1/4 cup coconut oil and some salt. I make it quite often, and everyone loves it. Sometimes I add a little bit of gelatin or ricotta cheese as well.

Thank you, I will do a search.

Also, in any recipe, i replace some of the flour with milk powder or gelatin. For example, if the original recipe calls for 2 cups of flour, I use 1.5 cups flour, 0.5 cup gelatin or milk powder. It is better than nothing. Also I use sprouted flour.

Thanks for the tip, it's good to know. Even RP says to make things with little flour like yorkshire pudding to satisfy starchy cravings, so he can't be completely opposed to it.

Last edited: