Autism, Charcoal, Endotoxin, My Experience

scarlettsmum

I thought I would post an update and some thoughts on charcoal in autism. Maybe it will help someone. My daughter has been on 1mg cypro at bedtime for 3 months now. The biggest difference is in her physical behaviour. Completely eliminated her repetitive hand movements, reduced walking on tiptoes and improved eye contact. We are still dealing with unreasonable inflexible irritable behaviour and moods. I have also been giving her eggshell calcium as she doesn't like milk and has lots of cavities. I was thinking recently how to address the endotoxin because I'm becoming more and more convinced that unless her bowel health is addressed, the cypro can only do so much and will only ever be a plaster. She doesn't like carrots and will not eat them unfortunately. She likes mushrooms but eating them everyday is not an option, she'd soon get sick of them. I have decided to experiment with charcoal after my surprisingly positive experience. I never quite felt any difference from carrot, on its own or even made into a salad. Recently, 2 months or so ago I have been sleeping really soundly and would wake up refreshed every morning, which suggests to me an improved metabolism. I felt at ease during the day, was calm, handling stress well, but a huge difference was made by the fact that my anxiety went away and its accompanying worrying thoughts. Then we went away, ate not so well, pufa, more starch than I'd like, minimum diary, no carrots, coupled with some stress and then started constipation , bloating, diarrhoea and just general uncomfortable feeling in my bowels coupled with teeth grinding. Then as soon as that started to happen I noticed my anxiety and panicky feelings come back, episodes of heart racing and hyperventilation and me being just like my autistic daughter irritable, aggressive, moody, unreasonable, a complete personality change for the worse. I realised how I felt before and now and I was able to identify the gut/brain connection for myself and it helped me to understand what is going on in my daughters bowels all the time rather then on and off as is with me. I have been searching through the posts here and found Haidut's comments regarding him using now (or then) activated charcoal in sufficient amount once per week to help with endotoxin. Here is the link to the post Serotonin Production (gut) Depends On Bacteria
So I took 15 pills of 320mg charcoal in each and after the first dose I felt a profound relief and very clear headed. All digestive uncomfort went away. I took the same amount after lunch, even though I still felt good, but wanted to take some more to follow what was suggested.
This ,made me think, was the reason I thought charcoal didn't work initially. Simply people don't take enough. I used the whole box in two doses.
I am so impressed I will now include it in my daughters diet. Once per week, 3x a day 5 pills, total of 15 and see what that does. Anyone else experienced a relief with charcoal for mental symptoms?

L

lollipop

Thank you @Makrosky!! Interesting...this discussion fascinates me. I wonder how many people have sat in psychologists/psychotherapists offices for years still wondering why they are still so angry?!?! As they struggle with lifelong GI problems...

@scarlettsmum I also recently had this gut/brain intuitive hit early one morning as I woke up and was getting ready for my yoga practice.

Your thoughts on quantity of charcoal are interesting. It did not work for me and maybe this was the reason. I only tried a few capsules a few times. I cleared mine with enzymes but if it ever arises again, I will try your method.

InChristAlone

Wow that is great! So the effects last days?

tara

Nice. :)
This ,made me think, was the reason I thought charcoal didn't work initially. Simply people don't take enough. I used the whole box in two doses.
You may find it cheaper to buy larger quantities of powder. I've used a couple of very heaped teaspoons at a dose (mixed very thoroughly in water by shaking a lot in a closed bottle). Health natura has one option.

Makrosky

Thank you @Makrosky!! Interesting...this discussion fascinates me. I wonder how many people have sat in psychologists/psychotherapists offices for years still wondering why they are still so angry?!?! As they struggle with lifelong GI problems...

Yes...It's a joke. And you know the worst ? If you don't make progress in therapy the blame is on yourself : "you don't want to be healed", "you are resisting", etc. Ridiculous. Then the poor guy takes a couple of drops of a T4/T3 combo and the depression is immediately lifted. It is also dangerous because therapy interiorizes the anger. In the past my mom did that, my dad did this. So you take the anger of the individual and put it inwards. What would happen if you would put it OUTWARDS and you say : hey you *stards you are fluorinating the water, puting PUFA and carrageenan on every single food, lying on serotonin and discarding good cheap methods in favour of patented big pharma stuff... What would happen if all the energy of all the people (and their therapists) who are suffering through years of therapy going around in circles about mom and dad, would dedicate all that energy to fight for things out in the world ? Maybe that would be the best form of therapy. Do something to improve the world.

What a rant!!! hahaha... jezz... I think I need some charcoal :-D

milk_lover

Congrats! Charcoal is amazing, much more potent than carrot salad for me personally. It heats me up immediately and the bloating goes away and I seem leaner, maybe because of endotoxin/serotonin reduction. I do it about three times a week in a smaller dose than yours, i.e., 2g or 8 pills. Although my teeth and tongue resemble drakula's mouth after the dose, I like it better than the taste of raw carrots.

L

lollipop

Yes...It's a joke. And you know the worst ? If you don't make progress in therapy the blame is on yourself : "you don't want to be healed", "you are resisting", etc. Ridiculous. Then the poor guy takes a couple of drops of a T4/T3 combo and the depression is immediately lifted. It is also dangerous because therapy interiorizes the anger. In the past my mom did that, my dad did this. So you take the anger of the individual and put it inwards. What would happen if you would put it OUTWARDS and you say : hey you *stards you are fluorinating the water, puting PUFA and carrageenan on every single food, lying on serotonin and discarding good cheap methods in favour of patented big pharma stuff... What would happen if all the energy of all the people (and their therapists) who are suffering through years of therapy going around in circles about mom and dad, would dedicate all that energy to fight for things out in the world ? Maybe that would be the best form of therapy. Do something to improve the world.

What a rant!!! hahaha... jezz... I think I need some charcoal :-D
LoLoL...AWESOME rant and spot on.

I have a question. The healthnatura charcoal I got is pretty coarse, to avoid perfusion...how can you consume this easily as it doesn't dissolve in water?

dfspcc20

+1 for activated charcoal. It brings back my appetite like nothing else.

FWIW- I've seen the greatest benefit in myself from he cheapest, most readily available of the "Peaty" supplements- charcoal, aspirin, salt, coconut oil.

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

@scarlettsmum I also recently had this gut/brain intuitive hit early one morning as I woke up and was getting ready for my yoga practice.

Your thoughts on quantity of charcoal are interesting. It did not work for me and maybe this was the reason. I only tried a few capsules a few times. I cleared mine with enzymes but if it ever arises again, I will try your method.

Yes, I have been trying to tune in and to observe my bodily symptoms rather than reacting to them. I have noticed before that sometimes some foods can have an immediate effect on my mood. Strangely I actually enjoy the taste of charcoal. I grew up with it, being a common remedy in Eastern Europe. I crave it sometimes but never took enough. I guess my body's way of telling me to clean up. Yes, it's starting to make sense, all these crazy badly mannered people in the world. :) I just calmed right away and felt so peaceful within 30 mins of taking it.

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

Congrats! Charcoal is amazing, much more potent than carrot salad for me personally. It heats me up immediately and the bloating goes away and I seem leaner, maybe because of endotoxin/serotonin reduction. I do it about three times a week in a smaller dose than yours, i.e., 2g or 8 pills. Although my teeth and tongue resemble drakula's mouth after the dose, I like it better than the taste of raw carrots.

Thank you. Yes, the bloating goes away, such a relief. I too feel thinner and my stomach definitely flatter. I usually just crush the charcoal tablets with my teeth and follow up with a sip of milk..yum :) My daughter likes it too but with apple juice instead of milk.

+1 for activated charcoal. It brings back my appetite like nothing else.

FWIW- I've seen the greatest benefit in myself from he cheapest, most readily available of the "Peaty" supplements- charcoal, aspirin, salt, coconut oil.

So agree with this. Same here. Salt has done miracles for me. I never knew how much I craved salt. I think due to the "salt is bad for you" brainwashing we tend to use less salt than we really crave, but once we give in to the tastebuds, it is amazing the quantity of salt I'm capable of putting on my food in order to make it palatable. My kids follow example and use salt freely to taste. You should see the look on salt/sugar/gluten/dairy free parents faces. Priceless.:)

Last edited:
OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

I have a question. The healthnatura charcoal I got is pretty coarse, to avoid perfusion...how can you consume this easily as it doesn't dissolve in water?

I don't think you need to dissolve it completely. I just crushed these tabs up with my teeth and swallowed fairly large bits of it and it still worked.

Nice. :)

You may find it cheaper to buy larger quantities of powder. I've used a couple of very heaped teaspoons at a dose (mixed very thoroughly in water by shaking a lot in a closed bottle). Health natura has one option.

Thanks for the tip, Tara. I am considering buying powder, not because it's cheaper as it's really cheap anyways, but because it's just pure charcoal and eating so many tabs I end up eating other additives in the tabs alongside charcoal.

I made a big mistake the other day. I got that bright idea that I could just put charcoal in my mouth and then swish some water to mix it before swallowing. So I put a half tsp on my tongue and as soon as I try to sip some water, it puffs up into my sinus and upper trachea. Needless to say, it was a very unpleasant experience. I felt pretty dumb after that because I remember reading about someone else on the forum doing it too.

InChristAlone

I made a big mistake the other day. I got that bright idea that I could just put charcoal in my mouth and then swish some water to mix it before swallowing. So I put a half tsp on my tongue and as soon as I try to sip some water, it puffs up into my sinus and upper trachea. Needless to say, it was a very unpleasant experience. I felt pretty dumb after that because I remember reading about someone else on the forum doing it too.
Were you trying to replicate the cinnamon challenge? Be careful! When I take powders on my tongue they are always less than 1/4 tsp, wouldn't try it with charcoal though. Thanks for the reminder that we don't need to die because of our supps!

Makrosky

So healthnatura one has bigger particle size ? Interesting because charcoal slows transit time A LOT to some people (including myself) and persorption is probably a problem. Healthnatura one would solve that I guess. Anyway, regarding your question... just put it on some water and swallow it ? Should be easy, no ?

@scarlettsmum you don't find it slowing transit time ?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
So healthnatura one has bigger particle size ? Interesting because charcoal slows transit time A LOT to some people (including myself) and persorption is probably a problem. Healthnatura one would solve that I guess.
Yes, it's nice that it doesn't seem as constipating and also because you don't have to worry about accidentally inhaling it like you do with the powder. I'm not sure if granular works as well for me though. I know it's supposed to be safer from a persorption perspective but I don't get that 'wow this is helpful' feeling I used to get from the encapsulated powder. Or maybe I just don't need it anymore? Sorry to derail your thread @scarlettsmum.

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

I would never put powder on my tongue, just mix in liquid first as others suggested.

So healthnatura one has bigger particle size ? Interesting because charcoal slows transit time A LOT to some people (including myself) and persorption is probably a problem. Healthnatura one would solve that I guess. Anyway, regarding your question... just put it on some water and swallow it ? Should be easy, no ?

@scarlettsmum you don't find it slowing transit time ?

The first day no bm , but didn't feel uncomfortable, as I said all the bloating went away. On the 2nd day 3 bm.
I'm going to make sure to have some prunes on hand because I'm not sure how my daughter will react. Took her first starting dose today of 5 pills. Stopped hitting us and calmed down, is very loving at the moment. Too early to say of course, will see after couple of months if there is any consistency.

Yes, it's nice that it doesn't seem as constipating and also because you don't have to worry about accidentally inhaling it like you do with the powder. I'm not sure if granular works as well for me though. I know it's supposed to be safer from a persorption perspective but I don't get that 'wow this is helpful' feeling I used to get from the encapsulated powder. Or maybe I just don't need it anymore? Sorry to derail your thread @scarlettsmum.

Interesting about the persorption, I try not to worry about it but perhaps I should?

Makrosky

I would never put powder on my tongue, just mix in liquid first as others suggested.

The first day no bm , but didn't feel uncomfortable, as I said all the bloating went away. On the 2nd day 3 bm.
I'm going to make sure to have some prunes on hand because I'm not sure how my daughter will react. Took her first starting dose today of 5 pills. Stopped hitting us and calmed down, is very loving at the moment. Too early to say of course, will see after couple of months if there is any consistency.

Interesting about the persorption, I try not to worry about it but perhaps I should?

Thanks! And NO, don't worry about it, for christ sake! We are worried about too many things already. If it works, keep doing it. Enjoy it.

There's a guy who posted the other day about squatting when pooping. I've been trying it and I think it's much better for gut health and bowel movements. It could very well be placebo in my case but since lots of people swear by it, there must be something good about it. Maybe you can give it a try yourself or for your daughter?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals