More Info On Taurine And Constipation, Please

BigChad

I am still eating low fat/high sugar, although now I should say low fat/high carb because in the last few weeks I have added rice, oat groats, and white/sweet potatoes. I don't do perfectly well on starches but so far not too bad with the potatoes and oats. For some reason rice (white and brown) makes my reflux come back worse than the other two. My blood sugar improved fairly quickly with low fat/high sugar and the addition of b vitamins. I haven't checked it in a while and plan to. It just got to me after a while all the obsessive finger pricks at different times to see what was going on. Necessary but stopped once things settled down. Hopefully, when I start checking again it will still be good. I can handle all my usual supplements fine as usual but don't take taurine. I will probably give it a try in the future but am doing fairly well so not feeling any interest in it. I recently added cortinon and increased progesterone and these are helping me raise my body temperature. I will see how long that lasts. I have not found a way yet to consistently maintain a normal body temperature so it will be exciting if this is it.

What happened with the taurine. Did you find out why it caused such issues. 1g causes me constipation and leg pains as well maybe due to increased water weight

OP
RePeatRePeat

RePeatRePeat

What happened with the taurine. Did you find out why it caused such issues. 1g causes me constipation and leg pains as well maybe due to increased water weight

Hi @BigChad. I have not gone back to taurine and probably won't for a while. I still don't entirely understand the taurine-constipation connection and don't want to risk the problem again. Good luck to you with your taurine experiment. I wish I could offer you help.

In case anyone is interested, I started checking my morning sugar again and sometimes it is okay at 98 and often is 102-105. Not good, but so much better than 133. I stopped taking separate B vitamins for blood sugar and just use 20 drops orally of Energin each morning with breakfast. Still not eating as much fat as I used to eat, but not being super careful with it.

I think my core problem with blood sugar and every other darn thing is the problem probably all of us here have, faulty metabolism. Still working on my thyroid but tackling it differently. Going to totally change how I use supplemental thyroid. Been on Tyromax for years and going to try straight T3 and do the Wilson reset (which I have to learn more about first). Read some about that here:
Permanently Fixing Hypothyroid Through Short Term T3

BigChad

Hi @BigChad. I have not gone back to taurine and probably won't for a while. I still don't entirely understand the taurine-constipation connection and don't want to risk the problem again. Good luck to you with your taurine experiment. I wish I could offer you help.

In case anyone is interested, I started checking my morning sugar again and sometimes it is okay at 98 and often is 102-105. Not good, but so much better than 133. I stopped taking separate B vitamins for blood sugar and just use 20 drops orally of Energin each morning with breakfast. Still not eating as much fat as I used to eat, but not being super careful with it.

I think my core problem with blood sugar and every other darn thing is the problem probably all of us here have, faulty metabolism. Still working on my thyroid but tackling it differently. Going to totally change how I use supplemental thyroid. Been on Tyromax for years and going to try straight T3 and do the Wilson reset (which I have to learn more about first). Read some about that here:
Permanently Fixing Hypothyroid Through Short Term T3

Did u use nutrabio taurine capsules

OP
RePeatRePeat

RePeatRePeat

How long did you use taurine for. So the constipation is not a temporary liver cleansing or detox effect of some sort?
Seriously, at this point I don't remember. Maybe read through the thread and look at the dates and you can probably piece together a timeline. I didn't note anything in a diary so I don't have anything other than this thread as a catalog of the experience. Sorry, dude.

Mauritio

How long did you use taurine for. So the constipation is not a temporary liver cleansing or detox effect of some sort?
It seeks like he took it for over a month ...

So no one figured it out by now? I am taking taurine for a few days and it has greatly helped my low blood sugar symptoms .
But today I had one bm instead of 3 tha ti have normally.
It makes me feel groggy and gives me dark circles and the eyes.
@RePeatRePeat
Has anyone thought about that it might not me just a magnesium issue. Taurine has an effect an all minerals . So it could be you got yourself into a potassium deficiency somehow. That would be if taurine uses the potassium up somehow.
It would also explain your high blood sugar symptoms as potassium lowers blood sugar and puts sugar into the cell.
Does potassium also have an effect on digestion ? Then it would explain everything.

So I will try to get a lot of magnesium and potassium and see how it goes !

Mauritio

I dont think you made yourself insulin resistant. Peat said insulin is only responsible for 7 percent of the insulin like action ,with the most part beeing from potassium !

OP
RePeatRePeat

RePeatRePeat

That is very insightful, @Mauritio. In fact, I do tend to run low on potassium as revealed in blood tests. I am currently using magnesium threonate and love it. It is helpful for relaxation to mind and muscle alike and doesn't bother my bowels at all. I try to drink coconut water for the potassium but will consider other sources to stay on top of that better and then try taurine again.

My blood sugar improved with certain vit b supplements but REALLY did well when, of all things not Peat, I started eating whole grains and beans (soaked and pressure cooked). I get farts from the beans so something is not right, but my BM's and blood sugar are fabulous!

Mauritio

I just searched for a minute and found these results:

"When your potassium is low, the muscles in your colon don't move as much and can lead to constipation. Luckily, the cure is simple: Add more potassium to your diet with foods like potatoes, bananas, mangoes,..."
13 Surprising Things That Can Make You Constipated

"Potassium helps relay signals from the brain to muscles located in the digestive system. These signals stimulate contractions that help the digestive system churn and propel food so it can be digested ( 8 ). When blood potassium levels are low, the brain cannot relay signals as effectively"
Healthline: Medical information and health advice you can trust. › nutrition
8 Signs and Symptoms of Potassium Deficiency (Hypokalemia) - Healthline

So it might seem logic that you and many other that had unstable mineral especially potassium levels and ran into a potassium deficiency.
At least this would explain the high blood sugar and constipation.

Mauritio

That is very insightful, @Mauritio. In fact, I do tend to run low on potassium as revealed in blood tests. I am currently using magnesium threonate and love it. It is helpful for relaxation to mind and muscle alike and doesn't bother my bowels at all. I try to drink coconut water for the potassium but will consider other sources to stay on top of that better and then try taurine again.

My blood sugar improved with certain vit b supplements but REALLY did well when, of all things not Peat, I started eating whole grains and beans (soaked and pressure cooked). I get farts from the beans so something is not right, but my BM's and blood sugar are fabulous!
Orange juice is the best potassium source imo. I might put some potassium bicarb in it to make it even more potassium rich. It also has small amounts of magnesium.

I also noticed constipation from taurine and a new craving for orange juice . This is his I made the connection between potassium and taurine in the first place . Since I normally dont have that.

OP
RePeatRePeat

RePeatRePeat

Orange juice is the best potassium source imo. I might put some potassium bicarb in it to make it even more potassium rich. It also has small amounts of magnesium.

I also noticed constipation from taurine and a new craving for orange juice . This is his I made the connection between potassium and taurine in the first place . Since I normally dont have that.

Thank you for your input, @Mauritio. I had stopped drinking OJ a while ago but may add it back, considering it has so many positive effects on the human body. And I will get potassium bicarb to add to it. I have never looked into potassium.

Scott Andrew

It seeks like he took it for over a month ...

So no one figured it out by now? I am taking taurine for a few days and it has greatly helped my low blood sugar symptoms .
But today I had one bm instead of 3 tha ti have normally.
It makes me feel groggy and gives me dark circles and the eyes.
@RePeatRePeat
Has anyone thought about that it might not me just a magnesium issue. Taurine has an effect an all minerals . So it could be you got yourself into a potassium deficiency somehow. That would be if taurine uses the potassium up somehow.
It would also explain your high blood sugar symptoms as potassium lowers blood sugar and puts sugar into the cell.
Does potassium also have an effect on digestion ? Then it would explain everything.

So I will try to get a lot of magnesium and potassium and see how it goes !

Sorry if I missed this in the thread but how much are you taking? Taurine can give me constipation if I go over 5 grams in a day, but below that it's nothing but positive. I remember back when I used glycine in isolation, after a while I hit a saturation point where anything over 5 grams in a day would back me up as well... it might be something to do with taking isolated amino acids in general. I know Peat and others on here have mentioned that when aminos are taken in isolation, the body treats them more as a hormone than a protein, which might explain it. A surplus just gets excreted undigested, leading to the constipation.

What are you taking the taurine with? I always have 1 gram at a time in a heavily sugared coffee + skim milk, and sometimes I even add some salt to the coffee. If you do something like that to increase your metabolism and get some electrolytes when you take it you might find your tolerance for it goes up and you utilize more.

Also FWIW I am taking NutraBio powder.

Mauritio

Sorry if I missed this in the thread but how much are you taking? Taurine can give me constipation if I go over 5 grams in a day, but below that it's nothing but positive. I remember back when I used glycine in isolation, after a while I hit a saturation point where anything over 5 grams in a day would back me up as well... it might be something to do with taking isolated amino acids in general. I know Peat and others on here have mentioned that when aminos are taken in isolation, the body treats them more as a hormone than a protein, which might explain it. A surplus just gets excreted undigested, leading to the constipation.

What are you taking the taurine with? I always have 1 gram at a time in a heavily sugared coffee + skim milk, and sometimes I even add some salt to the coffee. If you do something like that to increase your metabolism and get some electrolytes when you take it you might find your tolerance for it goes up and you utilize more.

Also FWIW I am taking NutraBio powder.
I take around 5 g.
I still dont get why it cause constipation if its not digested...

TypicalJock

Hello Everyone,
Today I took 5g of taurine in the morning with coffee, although the past two days I have been suffering from weird bowel noises and inconsistent stool "loose stools, and constipation". I had for a breakfast some feta cheese and 500 ml of full fat milk. 10mins later I had extreme explosive diarrhea. Is it from the taurine, because regularly I have been able to tolerate milk to a certain extent, I really need your help guys
Thank you!!

Inaut

Hello Everyone,
Today I took 5g of taurine in the morning with coffee, although the past two days I have been suffering from weird bowel noises and inconsistent stool "loose stools, and constipation". I had for a breakfast some feta cheese and 500 ml of full fat milk. 10mins later I had extreme explosive diarrhea. Is it from the taurine, because regularly I have been able to tolerate milk to a certain extent, I really need your help guys
Thank you!!
too much bile bro. lay off the taurine for a bit and it will go away.

FitnessMike

I think that after stopping taurine, sibo came back and with it constipation.

Can anyone confirm that taurine is good at sterilising small intestine? Presumably due to increased bile production?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals