First cold in 3 years

lavanhill

Hi all, new to the forum and new to Ray peat eating. A little about my self, Paleo and low carbs for 7 years, lost a lot of weight doing low carbs with re-feeding every 10 days, I used to weight 300 lbs and lost over 100 lbs doing low carbs, but the last 3 years has been a struggle with bad mood low libido gaining weight no matter how low carb I ate, other than that felt very good, did not get sick and I haven't had a cold or the flu in over 3 years. A month ago came across Ray Peat and Danny Roddy information and I was :eek: so i decided to give a try and after 3 weeks on it, lots of milk and OJ with salt, gelatin, I started to feel amazing, my libido is back and my mood is great, my ability to handle stress is great, I did gain some weight but told myself that is a small price to pay for my mood, libido and stress improvements.

My question is, for the first time in over 3 years I have a really bad cold, has anyone here experience anything like this getting sick after starting to eat sugar?

tara

Welcome lavahill :welcome.

Glad you are getting some improvements. :)

I have neither more nor less colds since implementing some Peaty ideas, but my history is different from yours.
But I have recovered from them more quickly since I learned to keep my mouth shut at night. I wouldn't have believed it possible till I read about how the nasal passages will swell and produce extra mucus during aware or unaware hyperventilation, and that holding your breath can bring the CO2 level in your system up enough to let the nose clear again.
I used a small amount of tape to hold my mouth shut, with gaps at the side for extra air if I needed it. A bit of butter or similar round the lips so it comes off OK in the morning. I was doing this anyway before I got a cold, to retrain nasal breathing. Then when I got a cold and congested nose, I tried it. It felt like I was going to suffocate for the first couple of minutes, then my nose cleared and I could sleep like that for the rest of the night. The cough I usually get for a couple of weeks after the nasal congestion was over much quicker too.
This technique is not from Peat (though he recognises the central importance of CO2 too) but from Buteyko, which I learned about from normalbreathing.com.

More Peaty: You may find the daily grated carrot salad helps reduce the load on your system, and make it easier for it to fight off the cold.

I'm sure others will have other ideas.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals