Something's Not Right

Mittir

stressucks said:
Thanks, I've tested it in the afternoon/mid morning, but always 20 min after a meal. Still low. I'll start measuring it at more random times to see.

20 min after meal is too early. I think you have to wait 1-2 hours for blood sugar to
stabilize. Your temperature and pulse both are quite low. It is possible that all your
low temp and low thyroid problems are result of your low carbohydrate intake.
Thyroid hormone production is directly connected to carbohydrate intake.
RP recommends 33-50 percent of total calories as carbohydrate and most
of these in sugar form ( sucrose, ripe fruits, lactose,honey,fructose).

kiran

j. said:
kiran said:
Your serum calcium is low, vit D is good.

Didn't Ray Peat say it was good to have serum calcium on the low end of normal?

Sorry if there was confusion, serum calcium that's lower end of normal is good.

OP
S

stressucks

Mittir said:
stressucks said:
Thanks, I've tested it in the afternoon/mid morning, but always 20 min after a meal. Still low. I'll start measuring it at more random times to see.

20 min after meal is too early. I think you have to wait 1-2 hours for blood sugar to
stabilize. Your temperature and pulse both are quite low. It is possible that all your
low temp and low thyroid problems are result of your low carbohydrate intake.
Thyroid hormone production is directly connected to carbohydrate intake.
RP recommends 33-50 percent of total calories as carbohydrate and most
of these in sugar form ( sucrose, ripe fruits, lactose,honey,fructose).

Thanks, I had been reading that that's possibly an issue. I'm not doing so well upping my carb intake though. Particularly with OJ, or fruits. I seem to not digest them well. I don't know it's because I haven't eaten them in so long but my sinuses run, I get some inflammation in the scalp, and due to the sinuses I think I had a bit of sleep apnea.

Maybe I need to up things more gradually. I decided to focus on starch for now instead of fruits and yesterday I felt noticeably better.

How long do I give this before I consider thyroid hormone?
Is the sugar/fruit thing just me needing to adapt?
Will my pulse and temp start coming up immediately? I was a bit warmer this morning but could be variance.

OP
S

stressucks

I also feel like I get more frequent heart palpitations on carbs. Although I also upped iodine intake it seems like its the carbs

Mittir

Improvement in thyroid function with increasing carbohydrate happens quickly.
You will be able to see big changes within 2-3 weeks. Any kind of carb do this job
but there are many other reason to get most carb calories from sugar.
Fruits are problem for many. Pectin in oranges causes a lot a problem.
Thoroughly strained home made OJ is much better than store bought
pulp free OJ. You can try grape juice or juices from safe fruit list.
Table sugar is free of allergen, you can increase sugar if fruits are
problematic. Honey is fine but it can be allergenic depending on source.
Selenium plays a big role in thyroid function. At least 80 grams of protein
and other B vitamins are necessary for healthy liver, where T4 to T3 conversion happens.
Here is a general dietary guideline and safe fruit list. Light Therapy helps a lot .

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=588&hilit=safe+fruit
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=187&start=10

Starch can increase cortisol and that can cause increased heart rate.
Increased thyroid function can also do that. You just have to make changes slowly.
Excess iodine can block thyroid function. It would be a good idea to keep iodine intake
within safe range.

OP
S

stressucks

Mittir said:
Improvement in thyroid function with increasing carbohydrate happens quickly.
You will be able to see big changes within 2-3 weeks. Any kind of carb do this job
but there are many other reason to get most carb calories from sugar.
Fruits are problem for many. Pectin in oranges causes a lot a problem.
Thoroughly strained home made OJ is much better than store bought
pulp free OJ. You can try grape juice or juices from safe fruit list.
Table sugar is free of allergen, you can increase sugar if fruits are
problematic. Honey is fine but it can be allergenic depending on source.
Selenium plays a big role in thyroid function. At least 80 grams of protein
and other B vitamins are necessary for healthy liver, where T4 to T3 conversion happens.
Here is a general dietary guideline and safe fruit list. Light Therapy helps a lot .

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=588&hilit=safe+fruit
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=187&start=10

Starch can increase cortisol and that can cause increased heart rate.
Increased thyroid function can also do that. You just have to make changes slowly.
Excess iodine can block thyroid function. It would be a good idea to keep iodine intake
within safe range.

Thanks, went out and got some table sugar for the first time in YEARS. after this. Going to mix it in here and there.

I felt good again today so I really think this upped carb is helping. I've been feeling bad for like 7 days, lack of exercise. I was dependent on exercise for energy and I think it's maybe the adrenaline from exercise that was giving me energy. But the past couple days I've felt fine without exercise.

Haven't seen an uptick in body temp yet.

OP
S

stressucks

stressucks said:
Haven't seen an uptick in body temp yet.

whooaa cancel that. Just measured it at 97.9. Highest reading I've got.

That's encouraging.

OP
S

stressucks

This stuff is confusing, I was just reading this article:
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/hy ... dism.shtml

This part seems to apply to me:
"Blood sugar falls at night, and the body relies on the glucose stored in the liver as glycogen for energy, and hypothyroid people store very little sugar. As a result, adrenalin and cortisol begin to rise almost as soon as a person goes to bed, and in hypothyroid people, they rise very high, with the adrenalin usually peaking around 1 or 2 A.M., and the cortisol peaking around dawn; the high cortisol raises blood sugar as morning approaches, and allows adrenalin to decline. Some people wake up during the adrenalin peak with a pounding heart, and have trouble getting back to sleep unless they eat something"

I frequently wake up at night starving with my heart racing. Feeling stressed. This happened last night. I usually eat a few spoonfuls of coconut oil, do some breathing, and fall back asleep.

I've had a salivary cortisol test done... around 5 months ago. It showed normal cortisol during the day, but a little bit over the high mark on the night and morning reading.

I woke up this morning with a 98.3/57 measurement. highest temp reading and BPM i've had so far. I think some of it was adrenaline based though (based one me waking up starving with a racing heart). I didn't do as good a job of relaxing before bed last night and I had extra fruit.

Before breakfast I measured again 97.3/56
Breakfast of grapes,eggs, supplements, and a tiny bit of sugar
30 minutes after breakfast: 97.2/62
60 minutes after breakfast: 97.2/58

My numbers are usually more like 96.8/50

I feel fidgety/inflamed when i eat a lot of fruit still.

Usually if I eat a bunch of white rice with salt, honey, and some fat right before bed, it will knock me out and i can sleep through the night pretty well.

OP
S

stressucks

Just measured 98.6/58 !

Extremities are still cold (when in the office only), but it seems to be getting better.

OP
S

stressucks

The day to day variance on this stuff is huge.

Yesterday I had my best day so far. Felt fully of energy, very happy, extremities not that cold. Highest pre-bed temp I've had so far.

Today my hands have been so cold they hurt. Even my feet were cold (they usually aren't).

There are about a dozen variables that I can think of.

Tuesday felt great:
Night before baking soda/epsom salt bath, very relaxing.
Only slept 6 hours but had taken a nap that afternoon (day before)
forgot to take my normal 1-2mg iodine (i forget sometimes, usually feel worse)
stress-free day

Today felt terrible:
Slept 9 hours, felt like pretty good sleep
more stressful morning
exercised some in morning (haven't been doing that much at all lately)
felt stressed most day
temp/pulse aren't bad...seem improved and what i would expect this time of day 97.9/53 (improvement on past numbers).

between those and a few other variables it's hard to say. The only thing in that variance that is unusual is the baking soda bath. so maybe that's it.

Could be a million combinations, self study is tough.

But when there is such huge variance I gotta ask the question.

But when there is such a contrast

Mittir

stressucks said:
between those and a few other variables it's hard to say. The only thing in that variance that is unusual is the baking soda bath. so maybe that's it.

Most people have good benefits from baking soda. But i never did.
I always felt bad after using baking soda.
I did some googling, but could not find any reasonable explanation
except for it increases pH . Increased urination is also mentioned as
side effects of sodium bicarbonate.

OP
S

stressucks

I just tried it because of the CO2 thing. I didn't notice any negatives.

OP
S

stressucks

Hands absolutely FREEZING again today.

It's like I'm paying for the great day I had Tuesday.

Energy isn't that bad today though. Not feeling stressed.

natedawggh

YES it was your low carb diet! Your body ended up eating itself out to survive because of the low carb/cortisol response. You CAN get better though! And some people get way too hung up in details. Just keep eating fruit, sugar and milk in your diet and avoid grains/starches/and PUFAs. If you are having allergic reactions, your body is probably not in the best condition to handle a flourishing intestinal bacteria system. An anti histamine taken regularly, especially because it's anti estrogen, can relieve these symptoms until fully healed. If you're stressed after working out its because of hypothyroidism and you should cut back on the exercise (just walk). Also, thyroid meds or OTC desiccated thyroid can help greatly. If baking soda helps you can also take carbonated water.

OP
S

stressucks

Thanks for the response! I'm beginning to tolerate fruit again. OJ isn't affecting me as bad. Encouraging. Temps are slowly coming up (just measured 98.4/57BPM 60 minutes post meal, though it's rare for me to get anything this warm).

I've been experimenting with adding sugar to random things (sometimes just in water). But I have no idea on how many grams I should consume.

Coming from paleo I am absolutely petrified of sugar and am afraid to add more than a couple grams to some water.

I'm going to experiment with thyroid soon I think. I keep going back and forth on good days I think I'm fine without thyroid, on bad days I get annoyed that things aren't improving fast enough and I start researching thyroid (no idea what to get when etc).

OP
S

stressucks

Lately I've been in a pattern where my hands are pretty cold in the morning, then in the afternoon they start to heat up. Fine by 4.

OP
S

stressucks

I was feeling kind of stressed and anxious last night so i experimented with bag rebreathing.

Tied my highest morning temps this morning: 97.9/56.

It's weird I'll have a few mornings in a row around 97, then randomly have a day like this. Tracking a bunch of variables to see what it might be.

It will also be interesting to see if those temps translate to no cold hands today.

OP
S

stressucks

stressucks said:
I was feeling kind of stressed and anxious last night so i experimented with bag rebreathing.

Tied my highest morning temps this morning: 97.9/56.

It's weird I'll have a few mornings in a row around 97, then randomly have a day like this. Tracking a bunch of variables to see what it might be.

It will also be interesting to see if those temps translate to no cold hands today.

Hands were a lot warmer today! Progress...Gotta keep up with ... whatever it was I did yesterday.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals