Dark Circles Under Eyes

Peata

I've never had too much of a problem with dark circles, but during bad allergy times they do get darker.

welshwing

Bad sleep and allergy perhaps? Maybe it's just a change in skin pigment, because I assure you regular dark circles develop from structural changes (loss of cheek/orbital fat or bone lowering with age)

Nighteyes

I also want to add a comment, namely that cyproheptadine helped a lot with my dark circles.. I think it is likely they are somehow connected to gut issuses - hence why cyproheptadine can help. Am taking 0.5 mg before bed and I fall a sleep quickly and feel nothing the next day. I also pop one more round of 0.5 mg before any strength training (concentric only as best I can)..

Mr Rossi

I have the same problem. Very dark circles under the eyes for a long long time.
Until now I have found nothing that helps.

J

James IV

It's likely the dairy. I'd try eliminating all dairy for 3 weeks and see if the circles go away. If your worried about calcium , Get more of your protein from potatoes. Vegetable stews/broths and ground egg shells can help as well.

If they go away, you can try Dairy from other animals besides cow. Or low/non fat fermented dairy like home made kefir and yogurt, and see if the circles return. If they do, dairy may not be for you.

seano

Though it looks like you have it covered, you may try topical K2.

Vitamin K2 is very often related to dark circles. In fact many dark circle topical creams include K2.

I personally have dark circles which I believe are a result of very low K2 (though I need to test it). My low level is due to having no gallbladder.

Wagner83

It's likely the dairy. I'd try eliminating all dairy for 3 weeks and see if the circles go away. If your worried about calcium , Get more of your protein from potatoes. Vegetable stews/broths and ground egg shells can help as well.

If they go away, you can try Dairy from other animals besides cow. Or low/non fat fermented dairy like home made kefir and yogurt, and see if the circles return. If they do, dairy may not be for you.
This is interesting as this morning I noticed dark circles and bad looking skin, I also have itchy eyes and was more mouth breathing than before. The evening before I had consumed some high quality aged cheese pasta and minced meat. I already know milk gives me awful backne (and some acne).

Edit: I forgot I ate gelatin in the form of a few gummy bears.

Wagner83

So I experimented more, and even lactose free milk which does not give digestive issues makes me look a lot worse with dark circle under the eyes in particular. It's a shame but I don't see how to avoid that unless I ditch all dairy (small amounts of butter and lactose-free fresh cream seem ok).
An other potential effect from dairy and/or more fat in the diet is less ease to access information n the brain, as well as inverting letters much more often when I type . This is funny since I realized that a few weeks ago it was mostly gone.

Last edited:

michael94

So I experimented more, and even lactose free milk which does not give digestive issues makes me look a lot worse with dark circle under the eyes in particular. It's a shame but I don't see how to avoid that unless I ditch all dairy (small amounts of butter and lactose-free fresh cream seem ok).
An other potential effect from dairy and/or more fat in the diet is less ease to access information n the brain, as well as inverting letters much more often when I type . This is funny since I realized that a few weeks ago it was mostly gone.
you're fermenting the milk then and not really digesting it. also dark circles under eyes = kidneys not happy

Wagner83

also dark circles under eyes = kidneys not happy
Why? I saw a few things could cause the dark circles, in my case I thought about histamine as dairy often gives me mucus and intensifies allergies among other things (lower CO2/stuffed nose).

tomisonbottom

Though it looks like you have it covered, you may try topical K2.

Vitamin K2 is very often related to dark circles. In fact many dark circle topical creams include K2.

I personally have dark circles which I believe are a result of very low K2 (though I need to test it). My low level is due to having no gallbladder.

What's the connection between your gall bladder and K2?

golder

I also want to add a comment, namely that cyproheptadine helped a lot with my dark circles.. I think it is likely they are somehow connected to gut issuses - hence why cyproheptadine can help. Am taking 0.5 mg before bed and I fall a sleep quickly and feel nothing the next day. I also pop one more round of 0.5 mg before any strength training (concentric only as best I can)..
Interesting. Why the Cypro pre gym?

lebanesegirl

This thread is really helpful me as I have so many of the symptoms listed (extremely dark circles under eyes, chronic congestion, sinus headache, dull skin, chronic fatigue no matter how much I sleep). I have been diagnosed with upper airway resistance syndrome but haven't tried the CPAP machine yet although some people say the difference in energy upon waking is astounding. An ENT prescribed anti-allergy medication daily (Claritin and Nasonex nasal spray) and it has relieved some of the symptoms. However there probably are many things I am allergic to but I can't pinpoint what exactly. Has anyone taken allergy tests?

One thing to point out is that I actively avoid milk as I react really strongly (extreme digestive pain, sinus headache, restless legs etc). I do consume lots of cow yogurt and cheese though. Is it worth trying to cut out dairy altogether?

Sorry for the long monologue but I'm writing this hoping that I can find a way to feel better.

What has helped any of you suffering from the same problems?

Waynish

This thread is really helpful me as I have so many of the symptoms listed (extremely dark circles under eyes, chronic congestion, sinus headache, dull skin, chronic fatigue no matter how much I sleep). I have been diagnosed with upper airway resistance syndrome but haven't tried the CPAP machine yet although some people say the difference in energy upon waking is astounding. An ENT prescribed anti-allergy medication daily (Claritin and Nasonex nasal spray) and it has relieved some of the symptoms. However there probably are many things I am allergic to but I can't pinpoint what exactly. Has anyone taken allergy tests?

One thing to point out is that I actively avoid milk as I react really strongly (extreme digestive pain, sinus headache, restless legs etc). I do consume lots of cow yogurt and cheese though. Is it worth trying to cut out dairy altogether?

Sorry for the long monologue but I'm writing this hoping that I can find a way to feel better.

Would be curious how you react to CamphoSal (from idealabsdc.com)... Might help clean things out. Have you tried coffee enemas or anything targeting liver health?

lebanesegirl

Would be curious how you react to CamphoSal (from idealabsdc.com)... Might help clean things out. Have you tried coffee enemas or anything targeting liver health?

Thanks for the suggestions! I haven't tried those but I'm going to try to focus on things that promote liver health.

Do you think the benefits of dairy outweigh the reactions and possible allergy I have? Too much yogurt has excess lactic acid and too much cheese is very high in fat so I don't want to overdo it there either.

Waynish

Thanks for the suggestions! I haven't tried those but I'm going to try to focus on things that promote liver health.

Do you think the benefits of dairy outweigh the reactions and possible allergy I have? Too much yogurt has excess lactic acid and too much cheese is very high in fat so I don't want to overdo it there either.
It is a non-issue in my view. If you have problems with dairy, then do not consume it... You can try to fix those issues and then try again, of course.

gaze

this may be of help, I've seen it posted elswhere on here before, it basically outlines food intolerances and suggests a way to move forward that I find practical
(although I don't 100% agree with their dietary reccomendations at the end, I still think it can be helpful)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals