OP
S

stressucks

j. said:
stressucks said:
I feel a LOT better on days I supplement with iodine vs days I don't

Related Peat quote:

Ray Peat said:
High iodine intake can suppress TSH, and since high TSH is pro-inflammatory, the iodine can have some protective anti-inflammatory actions, but in the long run, the thyroid suppression becomes a problem.”

Link

Interesting. I've been on 400mcg iodine a day for a long time (1-2 years), but recently decided to up it. I'm in the 1-2mg range now.

My last TSH test came in higher than normal, I wonder if possibly the long term use supressed my thyroid, raised TSH, then increased iodine supressed TSH again = I feel good on it.

Maybe I need to get off of it and on dessicated thyroid instead.

OP
S

stressucks

In others news.... 1 hour post breakfast 99 degrees. highest temp ever. RHR 62, highest ever.

paper_clips43

Glad to see you are doing better since your first post one month ago. It is inspiring because I feel my experience is somewhat similar to yours. I am coming from a paleo diet that cured me of many many ailments although has also caused a few it seems. I am pretty sure I have some sort of sinus infection that gives me fatigue and I finally think I figured out the cause. Tryptophan. Or at least meat in general makes me fatigued now plus candida symptoms. The past two days I have not had any meat and been eating mainly oj and butter and feeling much better. I am wondering how much meat you are consuming daily? Also were you consuming dairy before switching to the peatarian diet?

OP
S

stressucks

paper_clips43 said:
Glad to see you are doing better since your first post one month ago. It is inspiring because I feel my experience is somewhat similar to yours. I am coming from a paleo diet that cured me of many many ailments although has also caused a few it seems. I am pretty sure I have some sort of sinus infection that gives me fatigue and I finally think I figured out the cause. Tryptophan. Or at least meat in general makes me fatigued now plus candida symptoms. The past two days I have not had any meat and been eating mainly oj and butter and feeling much better. I am wondering how much meat you are consuming daily? Also were you consuming dairy before switching to the peatarian diet?

I'm still consuming a decent amount of red meat, but definitely less than half of what I was eating on paleo. Before I was having red meat 2-3x a day. Now I eat more carbs (obviously), eggs, oysters, and milk. No dairy before this. I don't react well to cows, but I tried goats a month ago and it seemed to do ok so I went with it.

I don't know that I've fixed all or any of my problems yet, but I am feeling better.

OP
S

stressucks

paper_clips43 said:
Are you able to gain weight eating this way? Or is that even an intention of yours?

My guess would be yes. My weight is around the same, but I haven't been lifting like I usually do. That makes me think it would go up.

OP
S

stressucks

So I think that even though my temps were staying high post meal, it was related to stress hormones. I just got finished with a very successful period of life and my temps and pulse are testing lower. But my hands are actually warmer. Very interesting.

Going to experiment with some NDT.

OP
S

stressucks

I still wake up in the middle of the night feeling stressed. Can't sleep until I eat something.

Heh, it's weird though... I don't really notice it on the weekends. On the weekends I usually get more exercise and sun exposure.....

Is it possible to be healthy while working an office job? I like my job and don't feel that it is that stressful...but my body responds as if it is very stressful.

OP
S

stressucks

Decided to experiment with NDT yesterday morning. Can't say I noticed much all day, maybe a bit more energy. But then at night I felt a little agitated, then I woke up in the middle of the night stressed. Also had nocturia. So it seems like it increased stress hormones.

Basal temp this morning was 98.8 which is much higher than anything I've ever had (at this time) and seems like it's not healthy? Maybe this is just stress hormones that will calm down.

J

j.

Thyroid increases sensitivity to adrenaline and it can take a few weeks for the body to produce less adrenaline. Salt, sugar, and magnesium help to keep adrenaline down. I think red light too. When I have sensitivity to adrenaline due to thyroid, about 1000 watts of incandescent lights help me.

OP
S

stressucks

j. said:
Thyroid increases sensitivity to adrenaline and it can take a few weeks for the body to produce less adrenaline. Salt, sugar, and magnesium help to keep adrenaline down. I think red light too. When I have sensitivity to adrenaline due to thyroid, about 1000 watts of incandescent lights help me.

Cool, I was just reading how adrenaline causes nocturia also, so that kind of all links together. I'll be adding salt and sugar to my water all day today.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
stressucks said:
Decided to experiment with NDT yesterday morning. Can't say I noticed much all day, maybe a bit more energy. But then at night I felt a little agitated, then I woke up in the middle of the night stressed. Also had nocturia. So it seems like it increased stress hormones.

Basal temp this morning was 98.8 which is much higher than anything I've ever had (at this time) and seems like it's not healthy? Maybe this is just stress hormones that will calm down.
How much did you take and what brand?

OP
S

stressucks

Charlie said:
stressucks said:

How much did you take and what brand?

I ordered the NDT you told me about, but it's taking FOREVER to get here.

I got impatient and took 1 pill of this:
http://www.amazon.com/Allergy-Research- ... ar+thyroid

Which is what the instructions on the bottle say.

1 pill is 40mg Thyroid(Bovine, lyophilized)

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Not familiar with that brand. I know with Thiroyd I would not want to start with more then maybe a 1/4 pill a day. The slower start and raise seems to be the best way to go.

Drop a note to who you ordered from and see what the hold up is. If its coming from overseas it can take from 10 days and sometimes over 3 weeks. It just depends on how long it gets held up in customs.

OP
S

stressucks

Charlie said:
Not familiar with that brand. I know with Thiroyd I would not want to start with more then maybe a 1/4 pill a day. The slower start and raise seems to be the best way to go.

Drop a note to who you ordered from and see what the hold up is. If its coming from overseas it can take from 10 days and sometimes over 3 weeks. It just depends on how long it gets held up in customs.

Yea, that's basically exactly what the FAQ says. I ordered from PimPom and they shipped it very quickly. Just being held up I guess.

Maybe I'll cut one of these pills in half today.

OP
S

stressucks

I gotta say though, I feel pretty good today compared to how I felt yesterday and the day before.

I got a lot of sun and no stress yesterday though so... could be that.

OP
S

stressucks

"Blood sugar falls at night, and the body relies on the glucose stored in the liver as glycogen for energy, and hypothyroid people store very little sugar. As a result, adrenalin and cortisol begin to rise almost as soon as a person goes to bed, and in hypothyroid people, they rise very high, with the adrenalin usually peaking around 1 or 2 A.M., and the cortisol peaking around dawn; the high cortisol raises blood sugar as morning approaches, and allows adrenalin to decline. Some people wake up during the adrenalin peak with a pounding heart, and have trouble getting back to sleep unless they eat something."

This sounds like me.

If I eat a lot of rice with added honey, salt, and fat right before bed I am most likely to wake up only once (sometimes not at all).

staytuned

stressucks said:
"Blood sugar falls at night, and the body relies on the glucose stored in the liver as glycogen for energy, and hypothyroid people store very little sugar. As a result, adrenalin and cortisol begin to rise almost as soon as a person goes to bed, and in hypothyroid people, they rise very high, with the adrenalin usually peaking around 1 or 2 A.M., and the cortisol peaking around dawn; the high cortisol raises blood sugar as morning approaches, and allows adrenalin to decline. Some people wake up during the adrenalin peak with a pounding heart, and have trouble getting back to sleep unless they eat something."

This sounds like me.

If I eat a lot of rice with added honey, salt, and fat right before bed I am most likely to wake up only once (sometimes not at all).

Hey Stressucks, been about a month since your last update... how are things going for you now? I too often wake up in the middle of the night hot and with pulse up/heart pounding. Just started RP about 2 weeks ago.

OP
S

stressucks

I'm a lot better, but still not perfect.

I had to ditch the dairy and the fruits and the sugar. It seems to cause inflammation in my body. I'm not sure which of the 3, but I cut all out but still have fruit a few times a week.

instead of the above I eat lots of potatoes, pumpkin, plantains, squash.

I also try to incorporate a lot of other peat principles.

My temperature is a steady 98.6. I don't wake up in the night as much right now. Pulse still needs a lot of work. Low 60s. But I feel pretty good overall right now.

staytuned

stressucks said:
I'm a lot better, but still not perfect.

I had to ditch the dairy and the fruits and the sugar. It seems to cause inflammation in my body. I'm not sure which of the 3, but I cut all out but still have fruit a few times a week.

instead of the above I eat lots of potatoes, pumpkin, plantains, squash.

I also try to incorporate a lot of other peat principles.

My temperature is a steady 98.6. I don't wake up in the night as much right now. Pulse still needs a lot of work. Low 60s. But I feel pretty good overall right now.

Are you going after a resistant starch kind of approach? Glad to hear you are doing better... I'd be curious if there are many people who have been on the Ray Peat protocol for a long time and had success with it. Thanks for the update!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals