Eating 12 Fried Eggs A Day

Yolama

I eat 12 eggs a day fried with virgin olive oil and topped with mozzarella cheese, but there's several threads here on how eggs are bad due to high PUFA and ***t... I don't really feel sluggish after eating eggs and digest them very well. I'm a poor student and having eggs as my main protein source seems like the cheapest and healthiest way to get protein.

What are your opinions? This Ray Peat guy recommends drinking pasteurized milk and orange juice... His choice of foods seems so odd tbh, but what do I know... Enlighten me

anniejohnson

The unsaturated fats in modern store-bought eggs may be a problem over time, as the fats build up in your tissues. He recommends milk and cheese as protein sources because they contain saturated fats and have a lot of calcium. PUFA is the only real issue with eggs.

Nebula

I’d get tired of 12 eggs per day. On a low budget I would maybe eat about 4 and add in other good proteins and whole foods like potatoes, and try to source quality local dairy, meat, organs, collagenous cuts and eggs. It won’t be dirt cheap, but probably still cheaper than your peers that eat out a lot throughout the week.

I don’t think cheap commercial orange juice is worth consuming as a staple. Freshly squeezed is the only way to go and that would probably be too time consuming and expensive for a student. A few quality whole or frozen fruits would be more affordable.

White rice also isn’t a bad staple to supply some cheap and clean carbs.

One of my favorite cheap dinners is roasted potatoes. Reds, Yukons, sweet potatoes and onions chopped up in the oven in melted butter or olive oil. Very satisfying, I usually don’t even feel like I need any meat with it.

A loaded baked potato with sour cream and cheese is satisfying without meat too.

Last edited:
OP
Yolama

Yolama

The unsaturated fats in modern store-bought eggs may be a problem over time, as the fats build up in your tissues. He recommends milk and cheese as protein sources because they contain saturated fats and have a lot of calcium. PUFA is the only real issue with eggs.
Wouldn't the tons of other health benefits of eggs negate the properties of PUFA's or is PUFA that overpowering? According to cronometer I get like 23g of PUFA's a day

OP
Yolama

Yolama

Personally I’d get tired of 12 eggs per day. On a low budget I would maybe eat about 4 and add in other good proteins and whole foods like potatoes, and try to source quality local dairy, meat, organs, collagenous cuts and eggs. It won’t be dirt cheap, but probably still cheaper than your peers that eat out a lot throughout the week.

I don’t think cheap commercial orange juice is worth consuming as a staple. Freshly squeezed is the only way to go and that would probably be too time consuming and expensive for a student. A few quality whole or frozen fruits would be more affordable.

White rice also isn’t a bad staple to supply some cheap and clean carbs.
Trust me, I am, but the other cheap source of protein I can buy is chicken legs, and if you compare the nutritious value of chicken legs to eggs, eggs comes in top imo. I need to get enough protein and calories to grow. Right now eggs, rice and whey protein powder seems best bang for the buck for a poor student like me

Selling raw milk is illegal in my country unfortunately and the local farmers are very law abiding. I've only access to pasteurized milk, but I've always stayed away from that estrogenic garbage. I don't know why Ray Peat says pasteurized is milk is fine too.

anniejohnson

Where do you live?

Pasteurization doesn't make the milk any more likely to increase estrogen, as far as I know. I used to be a raw milk fanatic, but I've done fine switching to conventional milk. It's a very cheap source of protein.

I think the PUFA in your eggs is mainly a long term issue and will not be offset by other factors. You should read Peat's articles and look at the sources, then decided for yourself whether you are concerned about PUFA in your diet.

schultz

This Ray Peat guy recommends drinking pasteurized milk and orange juice... His choice of foods seems so odd tbh

It's not that odd... orange juice and milk give almost every nutrient, plus keep iron and PUFA low, provide adequate protein and good carbohydrates, plus orange juice has a few special properties like protection from endotoxin and is an aromatase inhibitor (according to Ray). He recommends these two things because they are accessible by most people Edit: and cheap. Good fruit is hard to come by at most grocery stores.

Selling raw milk is illegal in my country unfortunately and the local farmers are very law abiding. I've only access to pasteurized milk, but I've always stayed away from that estrogenic garbage. I don't know why Ray Peat says pasteurized is milk is fine too.

PUFA is likely significantly more estrogenic than milk.

Last edited:

redsun

Wouldn't the tons of other health benefits of eggs negate the properties of PUFA's or is PUFA that overpowering? According to cronometer I get like 23g of PUFA's a day

12 eggs a day is of course somewhat repetitive, but eggs are healthy. If you feel good from it I would not reduce eggs especially when in your case we are looking at affordability. They are a powerhouse of nutrition, high in A, D, and E. If they were pasture raised they would have K2. You also get 2g cholesterol which is extremely protective and not too mention egg is a high quality absorbable protein.

The only glaring issue is eggs dont have B3 and are low in B6. Having eggs and chicken would deal with this as chicken is higher in those Bs. If you can tolerate milk it is a good source of nutrients but if you cant dont bother.

I think ground beef is a good anabolic food as it is much higher in nutrients then chicken and very low in PUFA and it is cheap at least where I live. It can be a better alternative to chicken and can help spice up the dullness of just eggs.

Last edited:

Cirion

I just had a random theory pop up in my head that everyone has a certain FAO (fatty acid oxidation) threshold. Healthier people have more, sicker people have less. Just being overweight exposes you to FFA's and lots of corresponding FAO (bear with me, I promise this is on topic lol). PUFA promotes FAO pretty handily. But if FAO does not exceed a certain threshold, then it is discarded/immediately burned and not stored. If the FAO/stress threshold is met, however, the PUFA's started to get stored and this is when the problems begin to build up over time.

My point I am trying to make, is that if you are reasonably healthy, not obese etc. that you can get away with more FAO/PUFA's because they aren't as readily stored etc.

So, in that context, if you are doing fine with them, feel fine, and are not gaining weight, it's probably fine.

Just be aware, that your tolerance for stress will be less with a FAO promoting diet and if you start having a stressful environment it will be bad. Usually, younger people have a higher tolerance for FAO and will be fine for a while at least. For me, I didn't really begin to crash until after college. Anything that lowers stress will also lower FAO, which will improve the ability to handle PUFA's. You see this in people on vacation and allowing themselves to de-stress. They might eat a bunch of junk while on vacay but be fine, due to low stress / low FAO otherwise.

Lipolysis/FAO blockers can be helpful probably as such, if it begins to be an issue. This is actually now my strategy to begin to turn my own health problems around.

Vinny

I eat 12 eggs a day fried with virgin olive oil and topped with mozzarella cheese, but there's several threads here on how eggs are bad due to high PUFA and ***t... I don't really feel sluggish after eating eggs and digest them very well. I'm a poor student and having eggs as my main protein source seems like the cheapest and healthiest way to get protein.

What are your opinions? This Ray Peat guy recommends drinking pasteurized milk and orange juice... His choice of foods seems so odd tbh, but what do I know... Enlighten me
I`d go with what my body tells me. I`d be soon dead now with 12 fried eggs, but in the past I used to tolerate them extremely well.

Forsythia

You are not being logical in your thinking. Do you know what pasturization is? It is heating of milk, for a few seconds, at 165 degrees F. Why are you cooking your eggs? When you fry an egg you are heating the eggs to at least 165 degrees F. So, you are in effect, pasturizing your eggs!

YourUniverse

You are not being logical in your thinking. Do you know what pasturization is? It is heating of milk, for a few seconds, at 165 degrees F. Why are you cooking your eggs? When you fry an egg you are heating the eggs to at least 165 degrees F. So, you are in effect, pasturizing your eggs!
be nice. hes from bodybuilding.com

Luming Zhou

Scientific studies have shown that there is no benefit in consuming 0.82 g per pound of bodyweight per day to preserve muscle:

There is normally no advantage to consuming more than 0.82g/lb (1.8g/kg) of protein per day to preserve or build muscle for natural trainees. This already includes a mark-up, since most research finds no more benefits after 0.64g/lb.

Source: The myth of 1 g/lb: Optimal protein intake for bodybuilders

But I am not sure if this applies to growing teenagers though.

According to cronometer I get like 23g of PUFA's a day
23 grams of polyunsaturated fat is way too much.

Cooking eggs without the olive oil would help. Olive oil has PUFAs which will accumulate. If possible, maybe you should try baking your eggs instead? Baked eggs tastes similar to fried eggs. The pans that you fry your eggs with may also leach toxic chemicals.

Arsenic contamination in chicken and eggs may be a concern; you may want to purchase organic chicken and eggs to avoid arsenic. At least in the U.S., chickens are fed arsenic as a growth promoter.

On the other hand, your choices as a chicken shopper and consumer will directly bear on how much arsenic you will ingest, our results suggest. Nearly three-quarters of the raw chicken breasts, thighs and livers from conventional producers that we tested carried detectable levels of arsenic. Of certified organic or other “premium” chicken parts or whole chickens, just one-third had detectable arsenic. Use of arsenic in chicken feed is prohibited under organic standards

Source: https://www.iatp.org/sites/default/files/421_2_80529.pdf

Eggs are not a really good protein source. Eggs are high in methionine and cystine:

Tryptophan
Ground beef: 3.1%
Chicken breast: 3.4%
Milk: 5.1%
Egg: 4.2%

Cysteine
Ground beef: 1.1%
Chicken breast: 1.3%
Milk: 0.6%
Egg: 2.3%

Methionine
Ground beef: 2.6%
Chicken breast: 2.8%
Milk: 2.6%
Egg: 4.1%

Glycine
Ground beef: 6.0%
Chicken breast: 4.9%
Milk: 2.0%
Egg: 3.4%

Both chicken breast and eggs cost similar for the same amount of protein.

You might consider buying some beef collagen. I have found a cheap collagen powder. It is cheaper than eggs and chicken breast per weight of protein. I have not tried it yet: Hydrolyzed Bovine Collagen Powder5kg Pure Powder

There is a study that found that sarcopenic subjects supplementing 15 grams of collagen a day gained 4.2 kg of muscle and lost 5.5 kg of fat compared to the placebo group:
Collagen: the one thing you need more of for muscle growth and fat loss

Last edited:

Ritchie

Dude my suggestion would be to check your estrogen levels, my guess at 12 eggs a day it is sky high. Chicken estrogen is identical to human estrogen and guess where a lot of that estrogen is concentrated and excreted in? Yep, their eggs. Don't forget eggs are the product of a hen's menstrual cycle. You'd be consuming a f#@k ton of chicken estrogen. Even worse if they are factory farmed. Not to mention the high amounts of tryptophan, methionine, cysteine and heated/cooked PUFAs.

Last edited:

Kingpinguin

12 eggs is fine. Theres people out there eaten way worse. I know lots of body builders who consume about 12 eggs per day. They all swear by it increasing their health.

gaze

lot of odd replies on this. No, eating 23g of PUFA is never good under any circumstance. You may feel good cause of some of the other vitamins, but the body stores the pufa, so eventually your thyroid will take a hit and during stress when they release your going to be in some tough times.

DaveFoster

In high school, I ate a ketogenic diet and fasted regularly for months at a time. As an experiment, I ate 12 raw egg yolks each morning but not the whites, as they deplete biotin. After a few days, I began having chronic soreness in my joints like I had rheumatism. After stopping the egg consumption, my joint pain went away. It may have been the high levels of arachidonic acid in the egg yolks, which promoted inflammation.

sunraiser

Hitting an arbitrary protein value has been one of the worst things I tried for improving health. Mine was alongside lots of lifting, but I actually feel sick thinking back to jamming down meat and eggs that I didn't want.

The exact amount of plant and animal protein you crave and enjoy is the approximate amount you can utilise at a given moment. That's my view!

Forsythia

Don't forget eggs are the product of a hen's menstrual cycle.

Chicken do not have a menstrual cycle. Menstruation is the shedding of the uterus lining. Chickens do not have a uterus. Perhaps you meant the ovulation cycle.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals