Healthiest Countries Review 2019

LiveWire

Suicide rates are almost always lower in sunny countries.

It partly explains the higher suicide rate in countries that are largely happy with quality of life yet very far north. Additionally, when you have a high functioning society it's even more alienating to be depressed and feel left behind so it might result in more dire consequences.

Scandinavians are not happy. They are told to believe they are happy, and they obey. Just like they are told to love and accept multiculturalism even though it’s slowly decimating and wiping out their culture and previously high standards of living.

Scandinavinism is the last evolutionary stage of homo sapiens before its inevitable downfall. Those nations are in self-destruct mode and past any event horizont. Anyone who has ever spent any time there can attest that they are weak, mindless, timid, conformist, soy-like, beta drones. I’ve never seen less opinionated people. They are every dictator’s wet dream. Conforming and obeying is their main modus operandi.

We think that by defeating Soviets we have defeated communism, but that was just its vulgar, ruthless version. The latent, but that much more sinister type that rules Scandinavia and spreads across Europe lives on and will burry us all.

Happy my ****.

olive

I think there is something to say about the benfitis of sauna use. The use of which is unmatched by the Fins. Last I heard there’s 1 sauna for every 2nd or 3rd person in Finland.

sunraiser

Scandinavians are not happy. They are told to believe they are happy, and they obey. Just like they are told to love and accept multiculturalism even though it’s slowly decimating and wiping out their culture and previously high standards of living.

Scandinavinism is the last evolutionary stage of homo sapiens before its inevitable downfall. Those nations are in self-destruct mode and past any event horizont. Anyone who has ever spent any time there can attest that they are weak, mindless, timid, conformist, soy-like, beta drones. I’ve never seen less opinionated people. They are every dictator’s wet dream. Conforming and obeying is their main modus operandi.

We think that by defeating Soviets we have defeated communism, but that was just its vulgar, ruthless version. The latent, but that much more sinister type that rules Scandinavia and spreads across Europe lives on and will burry us all.

Happy my ****.

I mean... They have the most collective economic, educational and social freedom in the world.

Also some of the most free press/media. I really don't think you know any scandinavian people haha. My experiences with them are so utterly different.

OP
Kelj

Kelj

Suicide rates are almost always lower in sunny countries.

It partly explains the higher suicide rate in countries that are largely happy with quality of life yet very far north. Additionally, when you have a high functioning society it's even more alienating to be depressed and feel left behind so it might result in more dire consequences.
Interesting premise! It feels right, intuitively, when I know I'm more cheerful when the sun comes out. Bahamas, Jamaica, Barbados, etc. are sunny and warm, true, but not sunnier than other places where suicide rates are higher. They get hit by disasters, there, frequently, and there is poverty.
Suicide rates rising across the U.S. | CDC Online Newsroom | CDC
This is a map of the U.S. shows some recent suicide rates by state. I see a little evidence of climate factoring in, but while Nevada is sunny, it's not sunnier than states with a higher suicide rate. I see some evidence that state economy is a factor. Looking at this makes me think suicide rate is a particular alchemy which includes as one element the character of the people and some others are social support, economy, and all the factors which contribute to good health.

revenant

I just fail to understand how Finland ranks at the top on the happiness ranking. Every single trip to the grocery store and all I see is miserable and sick looking people. Also fat people, lots of fat people. This is the majority, a few beautiful and shiny flowers here and there being the minority.

The index doesn't measure people's happiness, but something else?

Who Are the Happiest People in the World?

The World Happiness Index is not a direct measurement of happiness but rather how good you think your life is (compared to others, basically). So I'm sure that Finland is number one because the majority of people here think "well, it could always be a lot worse". But happiness? No way.

Strange that there isn't an index that just asks people, on a scale of 1-10, how happy they are.

lexis

I just fail to understand how Finland ranks at the top on the happiness ranking. Every single trip to the grocery store and all I see is miserable and sick looking people. Also fat people, lots of fat people. This is the majority, a few beautiful and shiny flowers here and there being the minority.

The index doesn't measure people's happiness, but something else?
Submissive n hopelessness can be mistaken for happiness

yerrag

Submissive n hopelessness can be mistaken for happiness

Hopelessness and happiness is like oil and water. How are you tying them together? You could be dirt poor but if you're hopeful you'll still be happy and you can be filthy rich but hopeless and you can be the unhappiest person.

revenant

Or maybe my theory is wrong...

Freedom and happiness in nations: why the Finns are happier than the French

"Cross-national studies on happiness have revealed large differences, not only is average happiness higher in rich nations than in poor ones, but there are also sizable differences in happiness among rich nations. For instance, the Finns are happier than the French, while GDP per capita is similar in France and Finland. In this paper we discuss whether freedom can explain that difference. The Finns feel more free than the French do. Does this discrepancy in perceived freedom correspond to a difference in actual freedom? Following Bay, we distinguished three kinds of actual freedom: social freedom, potential freedom and psychological freedom. In a comparative analysis of 49 nations we find that actual freedom reflects only partially in perceived freedom and that all kinds of freedom have some independent relation with average happiness. Psychological freedom is most strongly related to happiness in rich nations. The Finns are happier than the French because they dare more to be free."

I always say that freedom is the one predictor of happiness. What I find remarkable here is that Finns feel free, since I don't find Finland a very free country in many ways. Hell, the nanny state index pretty much proves it. There's a rule for everything here, and then some.

I guess the rat can come to believe there is no cage, if he tries hard enough.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals