Drinking My Own Breast Milk?

cmdshiftdel

I have a freezer stash about to go bad of breast milk I pumped for my baby but she didn't like the taste of frozen breast milk (it is decidedly more metallic and less sweet than fresh) so we transitioned her to whole milk. It feels sacrilegious to toss it given the sacrifice I made to pump all that milk. But I need the freezer space so it has to go, either all at once or little by little (I might have maybe 1-2 months worth).

I don't have time to bake a million muffins with it either or give baby a breast milk bath (which also seems sacrilegious) nor any interest in breast milk jewelry. Should I drink it? Anyone here done this? I've heard of bodybuilders drinking "black market" breast milk but the idea was highly discouraged because you're ingesting a strangers body fluids, not necessarily because it was bad otherwise.

Thoughts?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I’ve heard of women donating breast milk to those in need but I’m not sure how the process works. Perhaps you could call a women’s shelter and see if they know? I hope you get more replies!

OP
cmdshiftdel

cmdshiftdel

Unfortunately since the milk is past a year old none will take it..

Jkbp

Forum Supporter
I had the same issue… a freezer full of pumped milk. I ended up adding the milk to my baby’s cereals and smoothies, and using it to make “creamed” veggies that I froze for later consumption.

LadyRae

I would definitely drink it and share it with family members who are willing. My husband used to enjoy having cold breast milk in cereal or dipping cookies and brownies in it!

Whenever he would feel a cold coming on he would have a glass of it and the symptoms would disappear within a day. I have four children (I breastfed for a little over 10 years, and that included tandem nursing my oldest two and my youngest two later on) and we would also use a few drops of breast milk in the eye to treat any sort of conjunctivitis type issues.

My mother passed away from ovarian cancer about 16 years ago and during that last year of her life, when my oldest was a newborn, I was actually pumping breast milk for her and overnighting it to her in the hopes that it would help in some way.... Obviously it didn't work but she very much enjoyed the milk that year when she was not able to eat much else.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals