Don't understand why people think Ray Peat died young

Sapien

think all this quibbling about Ray daring to die before he reached a sufficiently venerable age is rather unfortunate. Ray’s accumulated knowledge and his incredible generosity in regards to sharing it, all the way to the end speaks magnitudes of his exceptional health and character, which as we know are strongly interconnected.
It’s honestly sickening. Really disappointed in some of y’all.

Well said megamole. I like what you said about him being kind and productive in his later years, healthspan>lifespan is a concept many are overlooking

If there were gaps in Rays knowledge or his implementation of said knowledge then what can we learn from this?”
Even talk of this seems too soon and a bit overstepping. All this talk of postulating theories on what did him in, if he even stuck to his diet, if his tenants were correct. Etc. Ppl need to stop treating ray like a murder mystery and show some humanity, just give respect/ condolences and go on about your day.

shanny

Forum Supporter
I think all this quibbling about Ray daring to die before he reached a sufficiently venerable age is rather unfortunate. Ray’s accumulated knowledge and his incredible generosity in regards to sharing it, all the way to the end speaks magnitudes of his exceptional health and character, which as we know are strongly interconnected.
Well said megamole. I like what you said about him being kind and productive in his later years, healthspan>lifespan is a concept many are overlooking
I could not agree more. His sharpness, wit, willingness to help are all signs of his health. I think we often have a misconception of "lifespan" because people that lean on modern medicine can often be kept alive, but I would not call that living. Like AllHail said, it's about healthspan. I know I'd rather be here a shorter amount of time if that time is well spent and my mind is sharp.

haidut

Forum Supporter
It’s honestly sickening. Really disappointed in some of y’all.

Even talk of this seems too soon and a bit overstepping. All this talk of postulating theories on what did him in, if he even stuck to his diet, if his tenants were correct. Etc. Ppl need to stop treating ray like a murder mystery and show some humanity, just give respect/ condolences and go on about your day.

And the worst part of the picking on him is that he did not actually die early. He exceeded his expected lifespan by 50%!

shanny

Forum Supporter
And the worst part of the picking on him is that he did not actually die early. He exceeded his expected lifespan by 50%!
Exactly! He added so many years to so many lives. The amount of people that have made the statement "Ray Peat saved my life!" far exceed these stupid comments about him not living long enough. He lives on in those of us that will continue to use his work to improve the state of health of those that seek our help.

I didn't know he was still alive when I found about his work this year. It didn't matter to me, his work was logical, scientific and revealing so it really appealed to me. It did take me a few weeks to a month to start eating sugar though, that was a hard one to accept.

LLight

My grandpa died in 2022 at 96 (living through WWII in France), can you help me calculate how much he overlived his theoretical lifespan?

gd81

But seriously: why would you “cheat” on a diet of milk, eggs, butter, cheese, seafood, oxtail, ice cream, ripe fruit and Coca Cola?

One time somebody asked Peat a similar question and he responded along the lines that it was 'important to have some of your favorite things sometimes'.

Some of us agree with that sentiment.

piro444

He also died mentally sharp and healthy
What’s better, living to your 90s but on a tube or to your 70s but having a clear image of what’s going on?
Health is such a wide and complex topic, we’re probably at the top of the iceberg right now
As for me, I’d rather get shot in the head at 60 rather than dying with dementia at 90
I’m grateful everyday for my newfound health and grateful to Dr Peat for his insights during the years

For those who are doubting, just go to any 86 years old person and talk with them, then think about how Ray used to talk, there’s a huge difference
Healthy brain > healthy body

TheSir

This is erroneous math, as an individual's life expectancy doesn't remain static throughout their life, but rather evolves together with the societal conditions. In the past century, life expectancy has risen in all age groups at the same time. This means that Peat's life expectancy at birth no longer applied to him by the time he was, say, ten, and applied even less with each successive year of his life. In short: life expectancy of an individual born in 1936 in year 1936 =/= life expectancy of an individual born in 1936 in year 2000.

You will also have to take in account that even outside external influences, your life expectancy increases the longer you live, which though sounding obvious at face value, is a profound point. A 10 year old is statistically expected to die younger than a 70 year old. This further complicates your attempt to calculate how well Peat fared.

Last edited:

haidut

Forum Supporter
This is erroneous math, as an individual's life expectancy doesn't remain static throughout their life, but rather evolves together with the societal conditions. In the past century, life expectancy has risen in all age groups at the same time. This means that Peat's life expectancy at birth no longer applied to him by the time he was, say, ten, and applied even less with each successive year of his life. In short: life expectancy of an individual born in 1936 in year 1936 =/= life expectancy of an individual born in 1936 in year 2000.

You will also have to take in account that even outside external influences, your life expectancy increases the longer you live, which though sounding obvious at face value, is a profound point. A 10 year old is statistically expected to die younger than a 70 year old. This further complicates your attempt to calculate how well Peat fared.

True, life expectancy changes during a person's life, but even when calculated at age 65, Peat still exceeded the life expectancy of his cohort by 10+ years. The problem is not erroneous math, but that if you allow life expectancy to change during a person's lifetime, then how reliable of a metric is it really?

I think, the proper indicator to look at is the percentage of US citizens born in 1937 that are still alive, but I can't find much info on that. If is less than 50%, then one can say Peat did better than expected, from a purely statistical point of view.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I’ve hesitated on whether to say these things or not but here goes:
Having worked in the dreaded sick care industry for 25 years most people I’ve worked with over the age of 45-50 are being propped up artificially with some sort of medicine, machine or other treatment and often multiple ones at that! Granted I’m not working with healthy people so my perspective is probably somewhat skewed. The fact that Peat didn’t utilize any of these things nor need to is phenomenally rare in my opinion and a true testament to him and his work.

I’m 53 and first discovered Peat about 10 years ago. I had poor health my whole life and couldn’t manage to work a full time job at age 43. I’m doing way better these days because he taught me to think for myself, pay attention to my lifestyle and gave me the courage and capability to break free from the medical system that was literally poisoning me.

I’d honestly rather live a full and independent life to age 56 rather than the life I was living before. I don’t feel like I have a great family history for health or longevity but I’ve improved on what hereditary dealt me over the last 10 years and I’m now able to say I’m doing better than most people I meet who are my age. I’m able to work overtime even if I don’t really want to. :)
There’s just so much more to life and living than the number of years we circle the sun.

shanny

Forum Supporter
I’ve hesitated on whether to say these things or not but here goes:
Having worked in the dreaded sick care industry for 25 years most people I’ve worked with over the age of 45-50 are being propped up artificially with some sort of medicine, machine or other treatment and often multiple ones at that! Granted I’m not working with healthy people so my perspective is probably somewhat skewed. The fact that Peat didn’t utilize any of these things nor need to is phenomenally rare in my opinion and a true testament to him and his work.

I’m 53 and first discovered Peat about 10 years ago. I had poor health my whole life and couldn’t manage to work a full time job at age 43. I’m doing way better these days because he taught me to think for myself, pay attention to my lifestyle and gave me the courage and capability to break free from the medical system that was literally poisoning me.

I’d honestly rather live a full and independent life to age 56 rather than the life I was living before. I don’t feel like I have a great family history for health or longevity but I’ve improved on what hereditary dealt me over the last 10 years and I’m now able to say I’m doing better than most people I meet who are my age. I’m able to work overtime even if I don’t really want to. :)
There’s just so much more to life and living than the number of years we circle the sun.
+1
Working in mainstream "sick" care and having had an awareness of the rampant dysfunction is one of the things that lead me to Ray's work. I believe those of us that have seen the sickness that exists at such young ages have a different perspective on health and longevity. Since finding Ray's work, I've been able to change lives in such a positive way. It allowed me to be confident in my understanding of a broken system that I was fighting against, and say things that I otherwise would have been too scared to say. It's not how long you're here, but the impact you make while you are here.

Dr. B

Mate i was expecting Peat to live till 150. I am thinking he didn’t follow all his advice? Like he was an excellent teacher, but it’s possible he didnt follow all his teachings? There have been many teachers who didnt follow everything they taught for their own reasons.
Additionally that thing you mentioned about everyone in the movie being killed or dying is very suspicious too.
Someone on here years ago posted that Ray eats fried chicken every week. Was that ever verified? 86 is above average but I was thinking be would live till 120+ easily, if not 150, like that Shirali Muslimov guy from The book of world records. He looked good for his age, still had his hair, still looked lean and vascular, pink skinned. Maybe it could be some hormones or supplements he was using? Maybe progesterone or thyroid in supplement form have some long term effects that aren’t recognized until you use them a long time?
The big difference with someone like Ray vs Muslimov Besides the altitude would be Ray was much more open to using pharmaceuticals, different supplements and hormones which Muslimov didn’t have access to.

Apple

Shirali Muslimov guy from The book of world records. He looked good for his age, still had his hair, still looked lean and vascular, pink skinned. Maybe it could be some hormones or supplements he was using?
What if they lie to us about our true potential (longevity) ?
I mean people raise question about many historical events/facts that may have never happened... half of human history we know from books could just be a falsification.
And then they humble us with bible, comunism, capitalism...any other -ism, while specially designed vaccines don't let us surpass 80 yo, apart from some resistant freaks like Shirali.
Now we are going through fake pandemic, fake ww3...what else ( Mars landing ? )

Anyway ...
Shirali supposedly lived to the ripe old age of 168. Diet : fruits, vegetables, wholemeal bread, chicken broth, low-fat cheese and yogurt.

"Calman brought Shirali to Baku a few years later. It was the old man's first trip to the city. He was around 160-years-old at the time. But riding in the car made him claustrophobic and nauseous. The fumes (same as in Ray Peat story) seemed to bother him as well. Calman remembers him begging, "Give me my horse. Take me back to Barzavu and give me my horse."

Last edited:
Peat advocated for the regular use of aspirin, white sugar, phosphoric acid (in coke), antibiotics (which kills the things that provide life transmutations within the body), all while cranking the metabolism high with milk, coffee, and NDT while reportedly living on small portions of cooked eggs, meat, liver, and oysters to provide for nutritional reserves.

You're talking about a man who sabotaged himself on a regular basis by taking concentrated, processed, & acidic compounds, intentionally tried to destroy the things that provide life to the body (sterilizing the small intestine), all while increasing his nutritional expenditure via increased metabolism while supplying that increased metabolism with damaged versions of said nutrition (pasteurized milk, fried egg, cooked beef, etc).

I said everything twice just now to make the point that it's pretty remarkable that he even made it to 86 with all of that backwards thinking and masochistic behavior. God bless him but with all of the variables put together I don't see this as much of a mystery.

Whatever the case, I still hope that we will all get closer to that 120 year mark ^.^

Genesis 6:3
[3] And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.

Peatress

Peat advocated for the regular use of aspirin, white sugar, phosphoric acid (in coke), antibiotics (which kills the things that provide life transmutations within the body), all while cranking the metabolism high with milk, coffee, and NDT while reportedly living on small portions of cooked eggs, meat, liver, and oysters to provide for nutritional reserves.

You're talking about a man who sabotaged himself on a regular basis by taking concentrated, processed, & acidic compounds, intentionally tried to destroy the things that provide life to the body (sterilizing the small intestine), all while increasing his nutritional expenditure via increased metabolism while supplying that increased metabolism with damaged versions of said nutrition (pasteurized milk, fried egg, cooked beef, etc).

I said everything twice just now to make the point that it's pretty remarkable that he even made it to 86 with all of that backwards thinking and masochistic behavior. God bless him but with all of the variables put together I don't see this as much of a mystery.

Whatever the case, I still hope that we will all get closer to that 120 year mark ^.^

Genesis 6:3
[3] And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.
But didn't you "firebomb the gut with combination herbs and antifungals" ?

But didn't you "firebomb the gut with combination herbs and antifungals" ?
Haha, yeah. Was raw vegan for a few months which lead up to a 3 week fast on mostly grapes & oranges, a handful of bananas, black walnut hulls in the morning, pumpkin seeds in the midday, and tequila + pineapple juice (the latter 3 are said to be anti-parasitic) in the evening while also taking the combined equivalent of 30 capsules of roots, leaves, and barks 3 times a day through herbal tinctures, pills, and as teas prepared from bulk bags.

Within 10 days I was able to kick some worms that were inhibiting some digestion/causing bloating and skin itchiness, but the final fungal fix wasn't until fasting on milk with 2 water enemas per day for a few weeks until running into symptoms of zinc deficiency. I also caused several cavities to pop up or worsen along with added tooth sensitivity during this time due to the nature of fruit and herbs kicking metals out through the saliva & gumline.

I never used any pharmaceutical grade antibiotics though, besides a handful of tries with methylene blue (and aspirin I guess I could add) to no positive outcome.

I even once used a vast combination of those same herbs mentioned above in the form of an enema, which basically gave me a huge lymphatic push but worsened food sensitivities greatly for many months afterwards. There's no shot that I'd put anything synthetic in the colon.

In any case, after eating conventional raw chicken left in a hot car for 10 days, fermented beef liver aged 3 weeks, raw milk kept in tepid water for 3 weeks, and eggs kept in hot conditions for 3 weeks just to find out that they digest better because of the added bacteria tells me that (total) sterilization of the small intestine is surely not the answer.

Apple

In any case, after eating conventional raw chicken left in a hot car for 10 days, fermented beef liver aged 3 weeks, raw milk kept in tepid water for 3 weeks, and eggs kept in hot conditions for 3 weeks just to find out that they digest better because of the added bacteria tells me that (total) sterilization of the small intestine is surely not the answer.
How do you know that you won't get poisoned , die from kidney failure or get infected with parasites?
Was it your first time experience with raw fermented meat or you do it regularly ?
I tried couple times raw meat from supermarket. Resulted in severe constipation with 40 C temperature , I had never felt that bad but I was lucky to survive .

Last edited:
How do you know that you won't get poisoned , die from kidney failure or get infected with parasites?
Was it your first time experience with raw fermented meat or you do it regularly ?
Have done it several times now. Admittedly I don't prefer the texture or the smell from such fermented foods, but they always put me in a great mood almost immediately.

The shortest answer to explain the initial lack of fear is because of the many lectures of Aajonus Vonderplanitz. He said that during the first ten years he spent eating raw meat he was afraid that the next meal was going to give him a parasitic brain fluke... but it never happened, so he started going out of his way to eat visibly parasite-infested meat in order to try to give himself a parasite to no success.

He later attests to fermenting raw milk with maca followed by satisfying a raw onion craving to oust a longtime parasite that he believes was with him since his youth, which was protecting him against various pharmaceutical treatments.

My guess is that parasites only pop up when bacteria aren't fed. They exist to efficiently eat the substances that aren't moving out of the bowels quickly enough. The root cause of this is constipation/slow bowel transit. Whenever our bodies receive the natural compound they're looking for, whether it's sugar as lactose, raw starch, or plant compounds in garlic, onions, turmeric, or whatever... the immune system will automatically release the helpful parasite once the waste it's been mitigating the damage of has been cleared or remedied.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals