Don't understand why people think Ray Peat died young

PeterSN

So I'm 20 years old right now, all my grand parents are dead, the last one alive died when I was 15, the first one to go died when I was 8.

My Aunt died of a brain bleed at 39 years old. None of my grand parents lived to be Peats age, they all died in their 70's and early 80's. And they all had terrible suffering way before their deaths, cancer, brain bleed, pneumonia..

One of my grandparents was put on an oxygen machine because she couldn't breath herself, she was on it for 10 years before she finally died of pneumonia.

I'm just saying, Dr Peat didn't live to be super old, but it sure seems like he lived a better life than my grand parents, and it isn't always the length of years on this planet that counts, but the quality of those years instead.

I agree, I am double your age and I feel blessed every new day I get and amazed I made it this far. If a hundred people did exactly what Ray did to keep healthy some would still die young, and some would live much longer. There are so many variables, and 86 is pretty darn good, and I can't imagine having a body that aged would be pleasant, and he seemed vibrant enough.

OP
PeterSN

PeterSN

I agree, I am double your age and I feel blessed every new day I get and amazed I made it this far. If a hundred people did exactly what Ray did to keep healthy some would still die young, and some would live much longer. There are so many variables, and 86 is pretty darn good, and I can't imagine having a body that aged would be pleasant, and he seemed vibrant enough.
There are a lot of variables. My grandafther who died at age 83 lived on a farm in africa and lived in the mountains a little over 4000 ft above sea level, he ate grass finished meat and had a very stressless life, but he probably wouldve lived alot worse if he was in the city and ate garbage everyday

I am envious of people that grew up on farms, they know how to be self sufficient and content. It is nerve-wracking knowing that if the supply chains get disrupted, our ease of living goes out the door and panic sets in. I have seen adults lose their mind and scream at their spouses in front of a packed large grocery store when Covid hit and everyone was scrambling for food. It's such a fragile way of life these days. And especially for the mental health side of it.

OP
PeterSN

PeterSN

I am envious of people that grew up on farms, they know how to be self sufficient and content. It is nerve-wracking knowing that if the supply chains get disrupted, our ease of living goes out the door and panic sets in. I have seen adults lose their mind and scream at their spouses in front of a packed large grocery store when Covid hit and everyone was scrambling for food. It's such a fragile way of life these days. And especially for the mental health side of it.
yeah here in denmark, things are looking quite bad, we were all forced to go onto this digital id system called MitID, it doesnt take a genius to understand that its going to be part of a social credit system just like black mirror

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I don’t think he died young I just think a lot of us expected he would live longer.

OP
PeterSN

PeterSN

I don’t think he died young I just think a lot of us expected he would live longer.
i agree, no one in my family that i know of has lived to 86 yet, maybe ill be the first idk:)

ThinPicking

yeah here in denmark, things are looking quite bad, we were all forced to go onto this digital id system called MitID, it doesnt take a genius to understand that its going to be part of a social credit system just like black mirror
"RESIST" - Ms Peatful

Blossom

Forum Supporter
i agree, no one in my family that i know of has lived to 86 yet, maybe ill be the first idk:)
I hope so too but more than that I hope we all get to pass naturally and peacefully in our own homes on our own terms after a vibrant life.

that sounds awful...only a matter of time before everyone else does the same

I hope so too but more than that I hope we all get to pass naturally and peacefully in our own homes on our own terms after a vibrant life.
it's hard to get past all the dread of reality of the times though, it's as though hope for a pleasant future has been dashed, maybe i am being dramatic?

Karlx

I noticed a change in his voice in the last several episodes on Danny's show. He sounded lower/slower. Almost like if you reduced the tempo slightly on the audio file.

Health is very apparent in the voice. Scott Adams currently sounds like he's in poor health.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
it's hard to get past all the dread of reality of the times though, it's as though hope for a pleasant future has been dashed, maybe i am being dramatic?
It does seem that way at times. I don’t think you’re being dramatic just realistic. There definitely seems to be an agenda to get people to lose hope. When we start losing hope that can become a slippery slope into learned helplessness though and there’s always hope. I’ve personally found it easier to stay hopeful when I avoid television and social media (because it’s a brainwashing/manipulation/propaganda tool) and focus on the things that are meaningful in my life.

GTW

A neuroscientist on the radio said, if you live long enough you will have Parkinsons. But not necessarily die from it.
Certainly 50 years ago 86 was a ripe old age. What's the new normal?

haidut

Forum Supporter
So I'm 20 years old right now, all my grand parents are dead, the last one alive died when I was 15, the first one to go died when I was 8.

My Aunt died of a brain bleed at 39 years old. None of my grand parents lived to be Peats age, they all died in their 70's and early 80's. And they all had terrible suffering way before their deaths, cancer, brain bleed, pneumonia..

One of my grandparents was put on an oxygen machine because she couldn't breath herself, she was on it for 10 years before she finally died of pneumonia.

I'm just saying, Dr Peat didn't live to be super old, but it sure seems like he lived a better life than my grand parents, and it isn't always the length of years on this planet that counts, but the quality of those years instead.

I think it stems from the ideas people have nowadays that life expectancy should be in the late 70s or even higher, when in fact it very much depends on when the person was born. Based on widely accepted actuarial data, Ray outlived his expected lifespan by 50%! And more impressively, that was 2-3 standard deviations longer than the projected lifespan for somebody born in 1937, which is very strong evidence that whatever he did in regards to diet, lifestyle, supplements, etc was working.

@GTW

Phaedrus

Something else I was thinking is that although Peat argued against genetic determinism, he also didn’t deny that heredity plays a role in growth and development:

“Genes, and subsequent growth and development, are modified by the prenatal hormonal environment, that of a newborn, and even that of the parents before conception.”

“We are ‘imprinted’ by our mothers’ hormonal and nutritional conditions, but we can intervene to correct these ‘inherited’ conditions, by maintaining optimal hormonal nutritional balances”.

I’m not saying that we can assume Peat would have lived longer if his parents had done something differently, but conversely we can’t use the fact that he *only* lived to 86 as an indictment of his bioenergetic principles.

Peat mentioned several times health problems that he struggled with in his life - digestion, pronounced allergies and sensitivities to certain ingredients (or even certain environmental conditions like weather), severe acne. I also recall he mentioned being hyperthyroid as a young man and not being able to gain weight on something like 8,000+ calories a day (taking thyroid balanced his overactive metabolism). He also experimented on himself - for example, famously going on an all wheat germ diet for a period, which apparently ruined his teeth.

We’ll never know why Peat didn’t live longer, but we also should consider that perhaps his bioenergetic interventions allowed him to live much longer than he would have otherwise. Due to the totality of unknown environmental factors that may have affected his longevity, Peat not living another decade plus isn’t a valid reason to doubt his intellectual underpinnings.

The thing is, Peat lived in relatively good health up until his death, as far as we know. It’s sad he died. He wasn’t Superman. Why are people acting like he was? He was an older gentleman that died. And peacefully. We should be celebrating his life and his ideas instead of being disappointed he died at 86.

Cameron

Yeah very impressive life he lived compared to average old age Americans. It’s dumb to make a judgment on diet and life outcomes when you live in the west in modern times. There are so many unavoidable external factors. A diet of meat milk and good fruit with good light will help any aging person but doesn’t mean you’ll hit a 100 living in an EDC polluted environment

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals