Thank you forum people

trafor

Hello all!

Thank you for operating this brilliant forum site. It is a very valuable resource for many searchers for improved health.

I began adopting Dr Peat's diet philosophy 3+ years ago. I was slow to release my old beliefs and adopt new ones despite being desperate for change. I used to ingest handfuls of vitamins, avoided certain foods and drank unpalatable herbal tonics. My regime changed as often as I found something new to try – I was looking for a magic bullet to cure all.

I never found one, nor is the diet guidelines of Dr Peat a magic bullet that will cure you overnight.

First of all, you have to figure it all out. Read his articles. Research his references. Google some more, look for opponents. Finally, wary and partially convinced, you try it out. Soon changes occur and you try some more, read some more and research some more (all very secretly because if anyone found you had adopted a diet of ice cream, coke, sugar, milk and gummy bears they would laugh at you). Mind you the ice cream is homemade from raw whole milk with honey, and the gummy bears are also homemade with Great Lakes gelatin, fruit juice and sugar – but that being said, our friends would only see a fat girl eating ice cream, candy, milk and sugar and think she was deluding herself into believing she was on a diet.

Using Dr Peat’s ideas, you slowly and insidiously change. I used to get giant whelts if I leaned on something, or carried a bag over my arm. Then one day, I realized that stopped happening. Recently I decided that either my eyes are getting worse or my skin is getting clearer. I certainly don’t look my 46 years.

My problem is I am lazy. It takes time to make food that is good for you. You can’t eat out in a restaurant. Everything is cooked in, or with, oil. Also, by now, it all tastes bad to me anyway. Our local Indian takeaway that I used to love now makes me throw up half the night. Noodle box tastes horrid. McDonalds turns my stomach in a matter of bites. I have become intolerant of oil. And there is very little “out there” that doesn’t contain oil – even at your friend’s house. But you politely eat up, swallow vitamin E and plead with your stomach to keep it all in.

It turns out that after you get rid of some of the pollution in your body, your mouth becomes a good indicator about what you should eat. The good stuff tastes good (or un-notable), and the bad stuff tastes sour or leaves a sour aftertaste.

The biggest difficulty with Dr Peat’s eating suggestions is that they are very unorthodox and it is hard to find a sympathetic ear when you feel uncertain. That is where this forum is magic. Chances are you are the only one in a 100km radius who is listening to Dr Peat – and certainly not your local GP, the nurse at the school, the diet clubs, the fitness gurus at the gym, and other parents who feed their kids margarine.

It’s a tricky path to walk, with lots of nay-sayers. Diet is a bit like religion: something very personal and each person is doing, right now, what they believe is the best answer. I found it extremely helpful making the massive changes needed by doing it solitarily. I would tell nay-sayers I am doing a thyroid experiment and would let them know how it turns out. I found it useful to never preach to non-believers.

Now that I am a believer, my current conundrum is how to truly heal my gut. The health of your gut is difficult to measure. And I have come to believe that the health of your gut is the key to your overall health. I will keep experimenting and let you know.

narouz

It turns out that after you get rid of some of the pollution in your body, your mouth becomes a good indicator about what you should eat. The good stuff tastes good (or un-notable), and the bad stuff tastes sour or leaves a sour aftertaste.

Thanks, Trafor, and welcome!

We have speculated about such a dynamic here.
I sometimes think I notice such a thing at work in me.
On the other hand, I bet if Peat told me he had discovered, let's say,
that the ingredients of pepperoni pizza exerted a synergy
which made a nearly perfectly Peatian food...
I bet I would love eating that pizza.
Actually, I would probably love eating it even without his fantasy endorsement,
although it is hard to enjoy a food you truly believe is very bad for you.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Trafor, welcome to the forum. :goodpost :welcome

Thank you for operating this brilliant forum site. It is a very valuable resource for many searchers for improved health.

You are very welcome. :hattip

The biggest difficulty with Dr Peat’s eating suggestions is that they are very unorthodox and it is hard to find a sympathetic ear when you feel uncertain. That is where this forum is magic. Chances are you are the only one in a 100km radius who is listening to Dr Peat – and certainly not your local GP, the nurse at the school, the diet clubs, the fitness gurus at the gym, and other parents who feed their kids margarine.

You aint kidding there! I have a renewed surge to try and win my family over. I think, I actually have a family member that might be becoming curious. Hoping for the best there.

That was just a really awesome opening post, Trafor. Thank you.

On your gut. Oxtail broth is supposed to be super healing for the gut. I think aspirin too.

OP
T

trafor

Thank you j., your comments are very well received.

Thank you narouz. I love your pizza analogy!

I had an interesting food reaction the other day. A friend has recently discovered the evils of PUFA and began a PUFA free lifestyle. I had lunch at her house the other day. The food (a stew) tasted very sour and I was surprised when my arms began to whelt from leaning on the table. This was the first time I had whelts in over a year. Later, my friend confessed she used margarine in the food (because the recipe called for it). Needless to say, I was surprised, and relieved all at once.

Thank you Beebop for your kind response.

And Charlie, a special thank-you to you for your efforts and time on this forum.

In regards to winning one’s family over, I am now convinced that I can only lead by example. Until I am muscular and thin with a perfect metabolism and no longer need to nibble T3, nobody will really believe me. Mainly because they can’t feel how the differences feel. They need something they can see. And even sometimes, seeing still isn’t believing…

Thanks for the confirmation on the oxtail broth and aspirin.