Non-Americans Who Think Peat's Voice Sounds Weird, Let Me Explain

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
HDD said:
Haha, Charlie! I always wanted to be the queen of something!

Consider yourself crowned. :D

:HDD

The smiley should be doing this gesture:

1299828-Clipart-Of-A-Cartoon-Yellow-Smiley-Face-Emoticon-Doing-Air-Quotes-Royalty-Free-Vector-Illustration.jpg

Kasper

His voice doesn't sound normal to me at all. It is for me really about the actual sound of the voice.

If I only hear him talk alone I notice it not as much, as when he gets interviewed, and the interview talks sometimes.

To be honest, my intuition says, his voice just sound less healthy compared with the interviewer.

Parsifal

I've always had a strange voice and I'm surprised now because since Peating it's becoming lower, more mainly, in control and powerful, this is quite enjoyable, I guess I always had muscular/postural issues to begin with and that was reflected in my voice as well.

bornamachine

Imo right off the get go I was put off by rays voice not his choice of words, his wit and humor and word choice is perfectly fine, its thay he stutters or has a lack of breath sometimes, no need to defend his vocals with the time he grew in etc etc, we have ears. Just let the man be, only question I would have would be, was this brought on by some self experiment or something he advocates, or is this a life long thing?

OP
Westside PUFAs
bornamachine said:
post 102419 its thay he stutters

But he doesn't really stutter as has been said many times. What's your definition of stuttering? He pauses to think for a second but he usually doesn't pause for long as his cognitive skill is high, he usually just goes right in.

bornamachine said:
post 102419 no need to defend his vocals with the time he grew in etc etc, we have ears.

K. No need to tell me what to do. :)

Integral said:
post 102420 I enjoyed this post. Thanks for sharing.

:yourwelcome

Last edited by a moderator:

Ashoka

My guess is Peat has embraced this vocal eccentricity. The weirdness extends to vocal sound, sentence construction and word choice. Something I just remember off the top of my head is him saying "US people" instead of "people from the US." To me in basically any other context that formation would seem downright unacceptable.

The whole thing often reminds me a bit of how the philosopher Zizek rubs his nose and face constantly while speaking publically. He has clearly embraced this not as pathology but part of himself, maybe even as an externalization of a healthy mind.

T

tobieagle

I think Ray sounds extremely similiar to Noam Chomsky, except that Noams voice is deeper and he talks more slowly.

papaya

in my nutrition school we were taught that u take on the energy & characteristics of the animal u eat most. i'd be curious to know if he grew up eating lamb/goat meat(think of the sound they make, baaaa). i know it's crazy lol, my friends loved to tease me, they would moo after eating a hamburger

cyclops

Has anyone asked Ray about his voice or has he ever acknowledged it? I dont think so? I love Ray, so I hope this topic does not come off as rude or offensive, simply biological/health related. I'm almost positive Ray would know what the cause is because he so damn smart and aware. I would just be really curious to hear his own thoughts on it. But id never want to put him on the spot or make him uncomfortable.

Also by voice I do not mean the words he chooses or the pitch of his voice, but more so the "stuttering." My gut feeling is it has absolutely nothing to do with being nervous or anything. Also there is video of him online giving a presentation, I think about 15 years ago where he did not have this issue at all, which proves its something that developed somewhat more recently. Maybe something happened to him?

Anyway, its kind of a weird topic, but Im genuinely curious, and would love to know Rays own thoughts on it.

Last edited:

GelatinGoblin

in my nutrition school we were taught that u take on the energy & characteristics of the animal u eat most. i'd be curious to know if he grew up eating lamb/goat meat(think of the sound they make, baaaa). i know it's crazy lol, my friends loved to tease me, they would moo after eating a hamburger
Hahahaha

yerrag

His voice isn't weird to me.
I very much enjoy listening to it.
I think much of what we're poking at here
has more to do with what like pboy and Sheik have talked about:
shyness, nervousness, sensitivity, etc.
And too:
remember that Peat says he likes to go all day sometimes
without talking or maybe reading--
because he says embedding routinely in that verbal way of experiencing life
diminishes the artistic, imaginative, intuitive (just read "drivel" here, cantstop :lol: )

Thus his reply when asked about being fluent in Spanish (I think it was).
He said, jokingly: "I don't think I'm fluent in any language."
My take on that was that
he often likely feels estranged from and ill-at-ease with verbal communications.

And so he doesn't display the aggressive, martial, argumentative style typified by, say, someone like Jack Webb.
Is it just me but the font and size narouz uses, it sounds so soft and slow on my brain. It is soothing though.