Don't understand why people think Ray Peat died young

area51puy

Forum Supporter
I think it we are all trying to extend life span and health span and most importantly health span. If most people were given a choice live until 75 but look like and have the heath of 30 year old or live to 100 but with your average aging we would choose the first one. But the I think the disappointment is we are all looking into this mystery on how to extend life span and health and we looked to ray for this and had higher expectations and ray wasn’t born with this knowledge he had to learn it along the way , but if he had all this knowledge at 20 and avoided damage from food and the environment he might of lived to 150.

Benjamin Ferencz, a former prosecutor of the Nuremberg trials told this story about 16th century astronomer Tycho Brahe in a documentary I watched.

Let me tell you a story. Tycho Brahe was an astronomer who felt that he wanted to find out the meaning of the universe. So he persuaded the king in power that he should build him an astronomical laboratory on the island of Hven, and there he built his observatory. And every night, he went out and he viewed the stars and he put them down in a chart. And he had done that for about 25 years.

New king came on the throne. They said, look, we've got something going on there near Elsinore. So the treasury people came out and they said, old man, wake up, wake up, king wants to know what you've been doing here these last 25 years. All he said, I've been watching the skies.

Watching the skies? What for? He said, well, to make a chart. And I have 97 volumes, exact. Each one I have measured myself. And I can tell you the movement of every one of those stars.

Well, what's the use of it? What do you intend to do with that? He said, I hope to live to get 100. 100 volumes of the same thing? What's the utility? What can you do with that? Well, he said, I admit that I was trying to find out the meaning of the universe, and I haven't found it yet. But I believe that someday, somebody will, and I will have saved that person 25 years of labor. And when the American astronauts landed on the moon, they had with them the tables of Tycho.

So there it is. It's an inspirational story, the watcher of the sky. I am watching the sky. That's it.

So not only did Ray save lives of thousands and improve the health of many of us ,Ray Peat saved us 80 years of labor @haidut and hundred of others using rays work to find the meaning of the universe, along with health and life span. So one day when find the missing pieces that completes rays work he will get credit for his work like when American astronauts took the tables of Tycho with them when they landed in the moon.

How many older people get thru their life without taking all the pharmaceutical poisons they have jammed down their throats, by their doctors?

Not many.

We simple don’t need big pharma’s poisons!

Peat was one who went against the grain. He advocated thinking for oneself and not listening to the zombie talking medical establishment that is educated in drug pushing, instead of prevention. That’s to be commended. He was a rare bird.

GeoX

We don't know events or conditions just prior to his death. As we age, we are more susceptible to dying from sudden physical or emotional stress, or any change unaccustomed to our body or mind. One event, inconsequential to a young person, can end it all for an older person. Without that event, an older person can live another 5 or 10 years. Who knows?

The odds become more random with age.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Yeah, but death is a part of life. Everyone dies. How old did you expect him to live to? 100?
I agree with you and didn’t have an expected age in mind. I just meant the forum in general not necessarily me.

The thing is, Peat lived in relatively good health up until his death, as far as we know. It’s sad he died. He wasn’t Superman. Why are people acting like he was? He was an older gentleman that died. And peacefully. We should be celebrating his life and his ideas instead of being disappointed he died at 86.
is that a fact? do you know the circumstances of his death? are we sure it wasn't an accident or, for the sake of argument, murder?

Gooner

I am 40 years old. If you go back just a mere 200 years I would have hit my peak life expectancy - Life Expectancy. We take for granted our modern life expectancy. I think the role of the bioenergetic approach that Ray espoused is improve our quality of life over those years.

Sapien

Important context is not only lifespan but health span. In his final years he didn’t show any signs of cognitive decline, continued to do meaningful work, etc.

Visit your local nursing home for a day and you will see dementia, inability to dress themselves, go to bathroom themselves etc.

TheSir

You would expect a master athlete to be more than slightly faster or stronger than average.
You would expect a chess master to play better than slightly above average.
Yet you are confused when people expect a master nutritionist to live a life that is much longer than the average.

In the context of his life's purpose, Peat did die inconveniently young, and it will forever remain as the elephant in the room. In the end, Peat could've died at 60 and our conformists would still have managed to explain it away with marvellous excuses.

I am 40 years old. If you go back just a mere 200 years I would have hit my peak life expectancy - Life Expectancy. We take for granted our modern life expectancy.
Not after adjusting for infant mortality. In Victorian era England, for example, life expectancy at 5 years old was as good or better than today, with people retaining good health well into elderhood as the prevalence of degenerative diseases was at about 10% of today.

Last edited:

gd81

I can't speak for others but the reason I expected him to go well into his 90's was his good habits that were based on solid ground. He was acutely aware of all the junk in the food supply so I assume he made an effort to avoid it. He knew what had the biggest effect on lifespan in animal studies and pointed out that aspirin was the supplement that had the biggest effect on lifespan in humans. For somebody who did all these things I would assume they would live longer than most but like others said there are always a tonne of other variables that hard to take into account. It's hard to even know how much he stuck to his routines and just ate/drank whatever he wanted at times (who doesn't?)- I met somebody who talked to him at a brewery a few years back!

He did live a pretty long life all things considered but what's more important to me is how well he lived. I don't see any point in being old if all can do is stare at walls and drool. Whatever he was doing for his health obviously never diminished his amazing capacities and either supported or enhanced them. Even when he was obviously ill and doing interviews with Patrick Timpone, he was still talking for over an hour and being his usual brilliant self.

I'm so sad he is gone but he left us with a great deal and he was just absolutely fantastic to have during the worst parts of the last three years, it would have been so much harder not having those interviews to listen to.

Sapien

It's hard to even know how much he stuck to his routines and just ate/drank whatever he wanted at times (who doesn't?)
yes I can confirm: Peat used to frequenct my local KFC; he was notorious for paying the workers extra to fry his food twice!

But seriously: why would you “cheat” on a diet of milk, eggs, butter, cheese, seafood, oxtail, ice cream, ripe fruit and Coca Cola?

Bruna

In the context of his life's purpose, Peat did die inconveniently young, and it will forever remain as the elephant in the room. In the end, Peat could've died at 60 and our conformists would still have managed to explain it away with marvellous excuses.

This tread made me sick. This sentence is the only one that makes sense in this whole tread.

yes I can confirm: Peat used to frequenct my local KFC; he was notorious for paying the workers extra to fry his food twice!

But seriously: why would you “cheat” on a diet of milk, eggs, butter, cheese, seafood, oxtail, ice cream, ripe fruit and Coca Cola?
say what?? this is hard to believe

-Luke-

amd

I see people that were born during WWII, lived in poverty most of their lives, currently eat garbage food (PUFA, processed, etc.), and they are older than RP without apparent major issues.

I've also seen even older, but active people (now deceased).

You either separate the message from the messenger (you are your own researcher), or not.

Peat's work is one of the pieces of a larger puzzle.

Megamole

I think all this quibbling about Ray daring to die before he reached a sufficiently venerable age is rather unfortunate. Ray’s accumulated knowledge and his incredible generosity in regards to sharing it, all the way to the end speaks magnitudes of his exceptional health and character, which as we know are strongly interconnected.

I was shocked when news of his passing reached me, since to me he seemed like he’d never die, but the way people almost seem to act like he hoodwinked them is just bizarre.

The real question to emerge from this isn’t “If Ray right, why die?” but rather “If there were gaps in Rays knowledge or his implementation of said knowledge then what can we learn from this?” We know Ray was a frail enough fellow, and he made a lot of blunders along the way but without those blunders we’d be that much further behind. Ray showed many of us that a true other way existed, and this knowledge has no price.

Eternal rest grant unto him O Lord
May the perpetual light shine upon him
May he Rest In Peace

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals