Dietary Stearic Acid Reduces Visceral Fat By 70% And Increases Lean Mass

Ingenol

Is there any reason why magnesium stearate wouldn't be a viable source of stearic acid? High-purity "food grade" magnesium stearate is readily available for commercial purchase, but the stearyl alcohol on the market is all just cosmetic stuff with no COAs or anything, short of chemical companies that are usually tough to order from for individuals.

aquaman

Is there any reason why magnesium stearate wouldn't be a viable source of stearic acid? High-purity "food grade" magnesium stearate is readily available for commercial purchase, but the stearyl alcohol on the market is all just cosmetic stuff with no COAs or anything, short of chemical companies that are usually tough to order from for individuals.

Did you search for Octadecanol? It's the alternative name and I found more results this way.

aquaman

@Vinero my stearic acid powder arrived today. its a clumpy powder rather than flakes, i hope its the right thing. company says its for use in face creams etc. but it is apparantly from organic palm oil and is EP and BP quality- whatever that means.

I also got some, it does have a very weird texture. Have used cocoa butter with good effect so testing out the stearic. The consistency is quite off-putting and makes me worried about the manufacturing process! What do you think after using it for a few days?

ddjd

I also got some, it does have a very weird texture. Have used cocoa butter with good effect so testing out the stearic. The consistency is quite off-putting and makes me worried about the manufacturing process! What do you think after using it for a few days?
Yeah i took 3 scoops on the first day and i dont like it. Ive already gone back to cacao butter. I dont trust the manufacturing process. If possible i want to try and get some of this stearyl alcohol that haidut talks about but im in europe so seems trickier to find

Ron J

Yeah i took 3 scoops on the first day and i dont like it. Ive already gone back to cacao butter. I dont trust the manufacturing process. If possible i want to try and get some of this stearyl alcohol that haidut talks about but im in europe so seems trickier to find
I got stearic acid food grade and I'm not sure how much of the 9 teaspoons(daily) I'm digesting. I can see the small pieces in my stool.
This is the solubility:
"Solubility
1 to 10 mg/mL at 73° F (NTP, 1992)
Water Solubility
0.597 mg/L (at 25 °C)
YALKOWSKY,SH & DANNENFELSER,RM (1992)
Slightly soluble in ethanol, benzene; soluble in acetone, chloroform, carbon disulfide
Lide, D.R. CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics 86TH Edition 2005-2006. CRC Press, Taylor & Francis, Boca Raton, FL 2005, p. 3-462
1 gram dissolves in 21 mL alcohol, 5 mL benzene, 2 mL chloroform, 26 mL acetone, 6 mL carbon tetrachloride, 3.4 mL carbon disulfide; also soluble in amyl acetate, toluene"

ddjd

I got stearic acid food grade and I'm not sure how much of the 9 teaspoons(daily) I'm digesting. I can see the small pieces in my stool.
This is the solubility:
"Solubility
1 to 10 mg/mL at 73° F (NTP, 1992)
Water Solubility
0.597 mg/L (at 25 °C)
YALKOWSKY,SH & DANNENFELSER,RM (1992)
Slightly soluble in ethanol, benzene; soluble in acetone, chloroform, carbon disulfide
Lide, D.R. CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics 86TH Edition 2005-2006. CRC Press, Taylor & Francis, Boca Raton, FL 2005, p. 3-462
1 gram dissolves in 21 mL alcohol, 5 mL benzene, 2 mL chloroform, 26 mL acetone, 6 mL carbon tetrachloride, 3.4 mL carbon disulfide; also soluble in amyl acetate, toluene"
At least you know it's food grade!

aquaman

Ingenol

I got some stearyl alcohol and also see the pellets in my stool. @haidut do you take it with or without food? I tried with.

Last edited:

tara

I got some stearyl alcohol and also see the pellets in my stool. @haidut do you take it with or without food? I tried with.
Maybe it really does need to be incorporated into cooking or emulsified into other foods in order to be digested properly? After all, our digestions would probably have evolved with it in mixtures with other substances, wouldn't they?

Obi-wan

Thanks @Travis. Just ordered this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0050LKJ6Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

OK, so I tried it this morning, heating it up and tried putting it on my skin. It instantly dries like a wax and would not spread like Cocoa butter. Next I put it in my coffee and drank it with some flakes remaining at the bottom. Gave me a feeling of energy yet a calm feeling as well. Like I had potential energy but did not have a need to use it. I would say I liked it.

Ron J

Maybe it really does need to be incorporated into cooking or emulsified into other foods in order to be digested properly? After all, our digestions would probably have evolved with it in mixtures with other substances, wouldn't they?
I think I may have low stomach acid, so others might have a different experience.

Glassy

It would have been good if they’d have had a control group with 17% of another saturated fatty acid (eg palmatic as Travis suggested). Seems to me that a good portion of the beneficial results could have been attributed to the SFA:PUFA ratio in the groups rather than specifically stearic acid. You could conclude that PUFAs cause increases in visceral fat based on the results except that would be a quick way to not get your study published.
I’m not saying that stearic acid isn’t protective or that I’m not going to enjoy my extra dark chocolate a bit more. I just won’t be consuming it in the hope i’ll shed visceral fat.

Obi-wan

I am also not sure of the straight stearic acid flakes. Could have been a waste of money. Will go back to just Cacao powder in my coffee. I definitely like the butter on my skin. Makes me hot for about 5-10 minutes.

Glassy

Yeah the cocao and shae butter is really nice on the skin. My wife used to make a cream out of it for my kids’ nappy rash when they babies by blending it with some bees wax and a liquid oil (coconut or mct would work well). It turned to liquid as you applied it. She also used it on her skin.

Wagner83

This is from the link I posted earlier, in terms of arachidic acid (@Obi-wan, @Travis) and stearic acid sal seed oil looks great. Jojoba seed oil is impressive for arachidic acid but it appears there's still 70% of room for unhealthy fats. Kusum oil may be worth looking into although there's some linoleic acid.
For those who tried stearic acid flakes, why don't you heat to melting point first? Perhaps there could be a way to incorporate the melted fat into food. @haidut do you do anything special or are you gastric juices on steroids?

Obi-wan

Nice chart @Wagner83. I tried heating the stearic flakes first. It turns into a wax like substance on the skin and does not absorb. I tried it in coffee and was still choking on some of the flakes(I like the coffee drinking experience and did not enjoy the flakes in my coffee). Just ordered this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073VR6NB7/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&th=1&tag=rapefo-20 and will try transdermal. 7% arachidic acid, hope it absorbs. If you put the stearic flakes in your mouth you better have a water chaser ready!

Wagner83

Travis has discussed how dietary stearic acid can be transformed into oleic acid (hopefully that's the one) by the body, while topical would be less likely to undergo such changes before working its magic. You should be able to find the relevant posts easily.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals