Feeding PUFA muffins caused less liver fat gain than SFA muffins??

EnergeticLeo

I'd be very interested in others' views on this study; the only key variable changed was PUFA (sunflower oil) vs SFA (palm oil) used in muffins fed to the subjects, and the PUFA group had higher lean tissue gain and less liver fat accumulation...!

I'm not really sure what's going on here, since Peat has regularly talked about the Nanji studies in India reversing liver cirrhosis with saturated fats like butter, and there are multiple studies showing stearic acid can reduce visceral fat. Yet here, in the SFA group, even visceral fat increase was higher.

[EDIT: I realise this and similar studies have already been discussed on the forum - apologies!]

Last edited:

GreekDemiGod

In human studies, PUFA and MUFA are shown to be superior to SFA, and less fattening.
I also remember Peter Attia said something along the lines of: In 1/3 of the population, SFA will promote atherosclerosis.
I haven't seen this angle discussed enough on the forum. Why some people are LDL hyper-responder, and others are not.? Why do some people's LDL rapidly increases when consuming a lot of SFA, and in others, it doesn't?

OP
EnergeticLeo

EnergeticLeo

In human studies, PUFA and MUFA are shown to be superior to SFA, and less fattening.
I also remember Peter Attia said something along the lines of: In 1/3 of the population, SFA will promote atherosclerosis.
I haven't seen this angle discussed enough on the forum. Why some people are LDL hyper-responder, and others are not.? Why do some people's LDL rapidly increases when consuming a lot of SFA, and in others, it doesn't?
By superior, what outcomes are you referring to?

I suspect that thyroid function / metabolic rate will greatly affect how someone's LDL will respond to SFA, but none of the lean-mass hyper-responder people seem to mention that.

lvysaur

individuals were overfed muffins high in SFAs (palm oil) or n-6 PUFAs (sunflower oil) for 7 weeks.
typical western science false signal
overfeed mostly MUFA and long-chain fats, and equate it with SFA

fatty acid profiles.png

Tim Lundeen

The paper is wrong to attribute the differences to saturated fat content, without excluding other possible causes.

High oleic acid is not healthy, see Brad Marshall's discussions at fireinabottle.net and on youtube.

I expect that if they had compared dairy fat (70% SFA, 25% MUFA, 5% PUFA) they would have gotten very different results, and there are other papers that show this if you look.

OP
EnergeticLeo

EnergeticLeo

The paper is wrong to attribute the differences to saturated fat content, without excluding other possible causes.

High oleic acid is not healthy, see Brad Marshall's discussions at fireinabottle.net and on youtube.

I expect that if they had compared dairy fat (70% SFA, 25% MUFA, 5% PUFA) they would have gotten very different results, and there are other papers that show this if you look.
Yes I think so too; it is also a free-living study, so many other variables could have changed in the 7 weeks.

Actually Brad's work is what led me to find this study; his stuff is really great

Lemminkäinen

The body is more efficient at getting rid of PUFA than getting rid of other fats, because we don't want PUFA around. Yes, they feed random people with 55% fat muffins daily so of course they all store fat. But an average person will burn PUFA quicker than SFA. This very burning is initiating disease processes that can't be measured easily yet. When you see obese people eating PUFA foods, they've been eating those foods for decades. But in the first year the body efficiently gets rid of PUFA. Otherwise babies fed formula would get health issues immediately and people wouldn't buy formula. But it's only in the late infancy that the metabolic dysfunctions start to creep in. And yes oleic acid didn't help.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals