PUFA Helps Build Muscle tissue?

mantq

Hey everyone,
I don't have any information or the necessary knowledge in order to support this article, but please take a look at the following segment of one of the articles that I've found regarding this, as well as the references at the end. Someone having some sort of knowledge about PUFAS could please provide their insight and opinions around this, it would be really interesting and I'd really appreciate it!

This is where food choices matter. It may seem as simple as eat more to grow more or eat less to lose weight. When someone gives you a calorie total or macro total goal to attain, it is a sure-fire method to lead to sub-optimal results. If the majority of the fats are procured from specifically saturated fats as compared to PUFA fats, there is going vast difference in the body composition. PUFA fats provide 3-times more muscle mass gain than the other fats group. Also, PUFA fat also helps prevent abdominal and visceral fat gain and had more fat loss in total.
“Despite comparable weight gain after 49 days, this double-blind trial showed that overeating energy from polyunsaturated fatty acids prevented deposition of visceral and total fat compared with saturated fatty acids”.

“Further, the inhibitory effect of polyunsaturated fatty acids on ectopic fat was accompanied by an augmented increase in lean tissue and less total body fat deposition compared with saturated fatty acids. Thus, the type of fat in the diet seems to be a novel and important determinant of liver fat accumulation, fat distribution, and body composition during moderate weight gain.”

In conclusion, overeating SFAs promotes hepatic and visceral fat storage, whereas excess energy from PUFAs may instead promote lean tissue development in healthy humans.

SOURCES:

crazypatriot

I just skimmed it, but it's not clear if they controlled for calories or total protein intake. The sample size is also a bit small, but not horribly small. I'd like to see a similar study with coconut oil (high in Lauric acid) and tallow (high in stearic acid).

Also, something that may be related is apparently the PUFA -- arachidonic acid -- increases muscle inflammation during anaerobic workouts. Ive seen it sold it as a supplement for muscle pumps, which might affect muscle growth.

tankasnowgod

Hey everyone,
I don't have any information or the necessary knowledge in order to support this article, but please take a look at the following segment of one of the articles that I've found regarding this, as well as the references at the end. Someone having some sort of knowledge about PUFAS could please provide their insight and opinions around this, it would be really interesting and I'd really appreciate it!
Always check the sources. That's the only thing that matters. Then, you can judge for yourself if their claims have any merit
This is the infamous "muffin study," where they gave muffins made out of different oils to free living subjects, and then measured outcomes. It was an overfeeding study, and only 7 weeks. All subjects gained both fat and lean mass, and the results are pretty similar. Even if they rise to "statistical significance," I don't think they are clinically significant, or "real world" significant." People have mentioned that Palm Oil isn't the greatest choice, as it is less than 50% Saturated, and still has about 10% PUFA. Butter would have been way better, at about 60-70% Saturated, and only about 3-4%. Plus, there are many other confounders in the study.
A rat study, which compares various high PUFA oils against each other. Lard is not a great modern choice for a "Low PUFA" or "High SFA" fat, as it can vary up to 30% PUFA, depending on how the pigs were fed. I don't know if they analyzed the lard, or if they relied on USDA databases.
An article about the first study, meaning the same source was cited twice. All the problems noted above apply here.
No idea why this was even included. It compared MCT oil (basically 100% SFA) with Olive Oil, and found that MCT oil induced weight loss. Olive Oil is about 10% PUFA, and high MUFA, so does not support the PUFA claims in the article. In fact, this would contradict them.

So, the source material is pretty weak. Also, the claims in the article don't seem to apply to humans that raise their PUFA intake chronically, as it has skyrocketed in the general population, and people look like they have more fat and less muscle tone nowadays then they did in previous decades. If it did translate, I would think the average person would be looking ripped and lean, or "hulked out" on steroids (especially if provides "3 times more muscle mass). But that doesn't seem to be the case.

PUFA US.jpg

pufa-obesity-B.jpg

OP
mantq

mantq

Always check the sources. That's the only thing that matters. Then, you can judge for yourself if their claims have any merit

This is the infamous "muffin study," where they gave muffins made out of different oils to free living subjects, and then measured outcomes. It was an overfeeding study, and only 7 weeks. All subjects gained both fat and lean mass, and the results are pretty similar. Even if they rise to "statistical significance," I don't think they are clinically significant, or "real world" significant." People have mentioned that Palm Oil isn't the greatest choice, as it is less than 50% Saturated, and still has about 10% PUFA. Butter would have been way better, at about 60-70% Saturated, and only about 3-4%. Plus, there are many other confounders in the study.

A rat study, which compares various high PUFA oils against each other. Lard is not a great modern choice for a "Low PUFA" or "High SFA" fat, as it can vary up to 30% PUFA, depending on how the pigs were fed. I don't know if they analyzed the lard, or if they relied on USDA databases.

An article about the first study, meaning the same source was cited twice. All the problems noted above apply here.

No idea why this was even included. It compared MCT oil (basically 100% SFA) with Olive Oil, and found that MCT oil induced weight loss. Olive Oil is about 10% PUFA, and high MUFA, so does not support the PUFA claims in the article. In fact, this would contradict them.

So, the source material is pretty weak. Also, the claims in the article don't seem to apply to humans that raise their PUFA intake chronically, as it has skyrocketed in the general population, and people look like they have more fat and less muscle tone nowadays then they did in previous decades. If it did translate, I would think the average person would be looking ripped and lean, or "hulked out" on steroids (especially if provides "3 times more muscle mass). But that doesn't seem to be the case.

View attachment 43141

View attachment 43140
Basically what I was looking for, very briefly yet precisely depicted! Thanks a lot for your insight!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals