Contradictory Information On PUFAs

haidut

Forum Supporter
nikotrope said:
jyb said:
haidut said:
Heating polyunsaturated omega-6 fats results in toxic oxidation products, which are far worse than the trans fats that vegetable oil has replaced [5], and these may cause further liver damage.

How do some of the Asian countries get away with it? From indirect experience of living with people coming from there, it seems some have never used butter for cooking. It's 100% doses of pufa oils to cook, every meal, a lot of frying. No coconut oil, just cheap pufa oil from the store.

I read a study showing how a bacteria from fermented plants (and fermented soy especially) converted PUFA to CFA. With soy sauce, miso and fermented veggies at each meal, Japanese might have a lot of this bacteria.

From my point of view they don't get away with it though. If we take Japanese people, they may be thin but they don't seem more healthy than americans (or europeans). Same cancer and other disease rates for example.

I think they have the highest rate of stomach cancer in the world due to their diet. Peat wrote about this too but I can't find the reference right now.

jyb

haidut said:
I think they have the highest rate of stomach cancer in the world due to their diet. Peat wrote about this too but I can't find the reference right now.

Yeah it's on Wikipedia. There a world map with incidence rates, it's pretty interesting. However, that's only for stomach cancer. If you have the highest rate of that but lowest in other cancers, the net could still be better. Just wondering, I don't know the total rates of disease for each country.

burtlancast

Studies in which animals were fed popular Japanese foods--“salted cuttlefish guts, broiled, salted, dried sardines, pickled radish, and soy sauce”--besides a chemical carcinogen, showed that the Japanese foods increased the number of tumors. But another study, adding only soy sauce (with a salt content of about 18%) to the diet did not increase the incidence of cancer, in another it was protective against stomach cancer (Benjamin, et al., 1991). Several studies show that dried fish and pickled vegetables are carcinogenic, probably because of the oxidized fats, and other chemical changes, and fungal contamination, which are likely to be worse without the salt. Animals fed dried fish were found to have mutagenic urine, apparently as a result of toxic materials occurring in various preserved foods (Fong, et al., 1979).

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/salt.shtml

Barry Obummer

Gl;itch.e

I like to research bodybuilders nutrition stuff because they actually have to get on stage and put their money where their mouth is (yes I know steroids but they all take them). Are these guys espousing falsehoods or missing the bigger picture?

Are Omega-6 Fats Really That Bad? | T Nation

Arachidonic Acid (ARA) part 1 – A “bad” Fatty Acid?
I would say yes they are missing the bigger picture. Muscle growth at all costs is not going to be a healthy endeavour. Substances that cause anabolism of tissue aren't always a good thing. Like mentioned in this thread that increase in muscle growth from PUFA could be heavily driven by inflammation from Arachadonic Acid and Estrogen. It's not a healthy way to grow muscle.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals