Why You Stay Slimmer More Easily With Olive Oil Than With Saturated Fats

berk

You're more likely to not put on weight if the fats in your diet are mainly of the mono-unsaturated variety. The more saturated fats you eat, the more likely you are to put on weight. The body burns the fats in olive oil relatively easily, whereas it prefers to convert animal and dairy fats into body fat. French physiologists discovered this while working for the space organisations ESA, NASA and CNES.

In fact the researchers were studying the effect of weightlessness on the body's metabolism. They got their subjects to spend 90 days in bed [bed rest]. They were not allowed to sit up in bed, and had to shower sitting down. Some of the subjects trained – sitting down – every three days on a fitness machine, exercising their calves and upper body muscles [exercise].
Before the experiment started the researchers observed their subjects for a period during which they were allowed to move normally [ambulatory].
The subjects were given meals in which the fats had been marked. The palmitate [a saturated fatty acid] and oleate [a monounsaturated fatty acid] molecules were marked. This enabled the researchers to see how much fat the subjects burned, and how much they stored in fat tissue.

dietfatox.gif

dietfatox2.gif

The figure above shows that the body burns oleate more easily than palmitate. What’s more, even less palmitate is burned when activity decreases, whereas the amount of oleate burned remains the same.

"The Mediterranean diet (that is, one low in saturated fats, high in monounsaturated fats) would be helpful if promoted in sedentary populations and in recumbent patients, two groups at risk for weight gain", the researchers conclude.

Animal studies have shown that hamsters put on less weight if they are given a diet containing lots of unsaturated fatty acids than a diet with lots of saturated fats.

Source:
PLoS Clin Trials. 2006 Sep 29; 1(5): e27.

Luk3

My experience has differed. I’ve really struggled to put on fat since switching to high saturated. Although I rarely eat gluten anymore, either. Maybe that has had influence.

tankasnowgod

The study you posted suggests nothing to support your title. There wasn't a group that ate a diet high in olive oil and compared them to a group that ate a high saturated fat diet, and then measured their weight and fat stores. No, this was primarily a study on the effects of bed rest and Fatty Acid Oxidation.

There was this thread that showed increased FAO does not lead to weight or fat loss - Increased Fat Oxidation (FAO) Does Not Lead To Weight / Fat Loss

Inhibiting FAO has been shown to increase metabolism, and itself may lead to weight and fat loss.

There are also studies that show Saturated Fats, particularly Stearic Acid, can reduce visceral fat and increase lean mass. In this study, Saturated Fat was compared directly to monounsaturated, and the SFA group was leaner- Dietary Stearic Acid Reduces Visceral Fat By 70% And Increases Lean Mass

Valerie Reeves thesis found the same thing- https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/0f...10.1581695984.1573415180-183858412.1572894484

In both cases, the high Oleic Acid diet led to weight gain.

Lastly, the recommendation of "The Mediterranean Diet" makes me laugh, as Brad point out in this blog post, no country has ever eaten this so called diet on a national scale- The Anti-French Diet - Fire In A Bottle

"A Mediterranean diet is best for weight maintenance: No country on a national scale has ever had a diet remotely close to the theoretical diet that is “The Mediterranean Diet”. Certainly none of these countries do! This is from The Mayo Clinic:

The main components of Mediterranean diet include:

Daily consumption of vegetables, fruits, whole grains and healthy fats
Weekly intake of fish, poultry, beans and eggs
Moderate portions of dairy products
Limited intake of red meat

Mediterranean diet for heart health
  • Whole Grains – None of the three
  • Vegetables and Fruits – Everyone is a winner!
  • “Healthy” Fats – I’m guessing that means unsaturated fats so Kuwait would win this category. Nanan is basically fat free, which was cool in the nineties but which isn’t very Mediterranean. So I’m saying just Kuwait wins this one.
  • Weekly Intake of fish, poultry, beans and eggs – The people of Nanan don’t eat eggs or beans and they probably don’t eat poultry. France and Kuwait win this category.
  • Moderate portions of dairy products – Not in France!
  • Limited Intake of red meat – Not in France!
  • The Mayo clinic doesn’t mention sugar but I’m pretty sure it’s off the list so France and Kuwait are losers there as well.
Clearly France in 1970, the country whose Southern border is the Mediterranean Sea, had the lowest Mediterranean diet score. And they were protected from obesity."

Last edited:

Broken man

The study you posted suggests nothing to support your title. There wasn't a group that ate a diet high in olive oil and compared them to a group that ate a high saturated fat diet, and then measured their weight and fat stores. No, this was primarily a study on the effects of bed rest and Fatty Acid Oxidation.

There was this thread that showed increased FAO does not lead to weight or fat loss - Increased Fat Oxidation (FAO) Does Not Lead To Weight / Fat Loss

Inhibiting FAO has been shown to increase metabolism, and itself may lead to weight and fat loss.

There are also studies that show Saturated Fats, particularly Stearic Acid, can reduce visceral fat and increase lean mass. In this study, Saturated Fat was compared directly to monounsaturated, and the SFA group was leaner- Dietary Stearic Acid Reduces Visceral Fat By 70% And Increases Lean Mass

Valerie Reeves thesis found the same thing- https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/0f...10.1581695984.1573415180-183858412.1572894484

In both cases, the high Oleic Acid diet led to weight gain.

Lastly, the recommendation of "The Mediterranean Diet" makes me laugh, as Brad point out in this blog post, no country has ever eaten this so called diet on a national scale- The Anti-French Diet - Fire In A Bottle

"A Mediterranean diet is best for weight maintenance: No country on a national scale has ever had a diet remotely close to the theoretical diet that is “The Mediterranean Diet”. Certainly none of these countries do! This is from The Mayo Clinic:

The main components of Mediterranean diet include:

Daily consumption of vegetables, fruits, whole grains and healthy fats
Weekly intake of fish, poultry, beans and eggs
Moderate portions of dairy products
Limited intake of red meat

Mediterranean diet for heart health
  • Whole Grains – None of the three
  • Vegetables and Fruits – Everyone is a winner!
  • “Healthy” Fats – I’m guessing that means unsaturated fats so Kuwait would win this category. Nanan is basically fat free, which was cool in the nineties but which isn’t very Mediterranean. So I’m saying just Kuwait wins this one.
  • Weekly Intake of fish, poultry, beans and eggs – The people of Nanan don’t eat eggs or beans and they probably don’t eat poultry. France and Kuwait win this category.
  • Moderate portions of dairy products – Not in France!
  • Limited Intake of red meat – Not in France!
  • The Mayo clinic doesn’t mention sugar but I’m pretty sure it’s off the list so France and Kuwait are losers there as well.
Clearly France in 1970, the country whose Southern border is the Mediterranean Sea, had the lowest Mediterranean diet score. And they were protected from obesity."
The thing is that some peaty substances icrease beta fatty acid oxidation.

Why does inhibiting FOA via methylene blue make me fat?

rei

ballooning is the retention of increased amounts of metabolic by products. They are not being eliminated, but stored in watery weight.

lvysaur

Isn't chain length the major factor? People don't get fat on coconut oil, only on dairy and animal fat.

tankasnowgod

Anything higher than 500 mcg per day balloons me. I have tried from 25 mcg to 60 mg per day. 15 mg is supposed to uncouple oxphos in my case it does not rise temperature even slightly.

Doesn't sound like it's "making you fat," but retaining water. And none of the doses you tried would be a HED of the study you posted. It sounds like an allergic reaction to Methylene Blue itself, or some other chemical that comes along with it.

tankasnowgod

Isn't chain length the major factor? People don't get fat on coconut oil, only on dairy and animal fat.

I actually haven't seen much evidence that people get fat in the absence of high PUFA fat sources. Dairy and Animal fat don't seem to be an issue in that context.

CLASH

Anything higher than 500 mcg per day balloons me. I have tried from 25 mcg to 60 mg per day. 15 mg is supposed to uncouple oxphos in my case it does not rise temperature even slightly.

Perhaps stop taking it then? I cant take it either, makes me feel terrible.

In my experience people dont get fat on animal fats, particularly butter and beef tallow, they actually rapidly lean out and have trouble putting on weight. Coconut oil doesnt function the same as a long chain fat, its more like a sugar. I personally eat 140g per day of fat 80g of which are SAFA with about 60g of MUFA. Too much saturated fat (tallow + butter) made me way too lean tho, had to add some MUFA (macadamia nut oil) to put on some weight. This is on top of 400g a day of sugar from fruit and 140g of protein from meat. Coconut oil makes me even leaner, but it leaves me hungry, makes my joints dry out over time and has a slight androgen decreasing effect compared to butter and beef tallow.

tankasnowgod

In my experience people dont get fat on animal fats, particularly butter and beef tallow, they actually rapidly lean out and have trouble putting on weight. Coconut oil doesnt function the same as a long chain fat, its more like a sugar. I personally eat 140g per day of fat 80g of which are SAFA with about 60g of MUFA. Too much saturated fat (tallow + butter) made me way too lean tho, had to add some MUFA (macadamia nut oil) to put on some weight. This is on top of 400g a day of sugar from fruit and 140g of protein from meat. Coconut oil makes me even leaner, but it leaves me hungry, makes my joints dry out over time and has a slight androgen decreasing effect compared to butter and beef tallow.

This is a problem I would like to experience.

Interesting observations about Coconut Oil as compared to other SFA sources. Personally, I used to notice an increase in temp and pulse about 30 minutes after eating regular coconut oil. I never noticed this when using Hydrogenated Coconut Oil (more saturated, and more Stearic Acid) for whatever reason. I have seen a few people say that eating a lot of sugar at once (like drinking two pepsis, for example) would raise their temperature. I never got this until recently, when I started focusing more on the SFA/UFA ratio, and also focusing/adding the longer chain SFAs. I do get that sensation now from drinking a pepsi, FWIW.

The androgen effect you mentioned is also interesting, as Haidut posted a bunch of studies showing the longer SFAs both promote androgen synthesis and suppress cortisol. Interesting that you noticed this in CO vs Butter and Beef Tallow.

CLASH

This is a problem I would like to experience.

Interesting observations about Coconut Oil as compared to other SFA sources. Personally, I used to notice an increase in temp and pulse about 30 minutes after eating regular coconut oil. I never noticed this when using Hydrogenated Coconut Oil (more saturated, and more Stearic Acid) for whatever reason. I have seen a few people say that eating a lot of sugar at once (like drinking two pepsis, for example) would raise their temperature. I never got this until recently, when I started focusing more on the SFA/UFA ratio, and also focusing/adding the longer chain SFAs. I do get that sensation now from drinking a pepsi, FWIW.

The androgen effect you mentioned is also interesting, as Haidut posted a bunch of studies showing the longer SFAs both promote androgen synthesis and suppress cortisol. Interesting that you noticed this in CO vs Butter and Beef Tallow.

The fatty acids in coconut oil (lauric and I think caprylic) have some anti-5AR properties. Coconut oil burns like sugar in my experience so it can often give a quick boost is seems. Perhaps the polyphenols in regular coconut oil made the difference for you?

X3CyO

The more unstable and shorter the fat, the easier it is to burn, the longer and more stable the fat, the easier it is to store both inside and outside the body.

tankasnowgod

The more unstable and shorter the fat, the easier it is to burn, the longer and more stable the fat, the easier it is to store both inside and outside the body.

The unsaturated fats are the most unstable, and also happen to be the longest.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals