Compilation Of EMFs Of Common Everyday Objects

Mossy

Just received my new scanner.

Let's just say, wow, that is all. Here are a couple shocking facts so far already:

Cell phone emits 1,000+ times the recommended exposure for RF emission... when on 3G mode, which is 84% less than 4G. Remember this the next time you decide to put it in your pocket or against your head.

Microwave puts out 100-1000 times the recommended exposure for RF emission... ACROSS THE WHOLE HOUSE (30ft away). OMG lol. I'm convinced to ditch it now.

Even with my wi-fi off and cell phone off etc I'm still getting readings easily 10-100x the recommended amount. It may be time for the faraday cage...

I checked for the optimal placement of the bed. I have it deep against a corner in the basement that is basically sheltered from everything. Got RF emissions down to 0.005 mW/m^2 or so (Goal is 0.01, so scored there), got EF emissions to 0 V/m (perfect), and got MF emissions to 0.4 mG or so (I was hoping for 0.1, but at a minimum got under 0.5 which is OK). I am curious to see how I'll sleep now. I should note I am going to have to sleep on the floor (basically right up against the earth) since any amount of elevation doubles or triples the RF's.

Funny how ironically I kind of want to become a Caveman now. We started as cavemen... and maybe now we'll evolve (devolve??) to cavemen again, in order to hide from 5G lol

Getting one of those hobbit like houses would work too, use the earth for insulation from EMF
Thanks for reporting back.

I’m with on ditching the microwave. I did that a little over 3 years ago at the recommendation of a TCM doctor.

As for the strong signals with wifi off, are they at least lower than with wifi on?

I hope to get that meter you have, so I can freak myself out and live in the basement as well...:ss

Atman

This will be a work in progress. I was hoping maybe people can help me add to this list. I just got my scanner today and am shocked, so I'm going to be doing lots of testing to know what is safe and what is not. In some cases I'll just say "A LOT" because my scanner lights up like a christmas tree (100,1000+) and I don't want to risk sitting around in that to cause all sorts of damage to myself. My safe distance will generally be somewhat conservative just in case. All numbers are with the device ON unless otherwise specified.

For those who may not know, the EPA has defined the safe range as ~ 0.5-2.5 mG. My scanner turns red at around 3-3.5 mG. needless to say it turned red and yelled at me alot during these testings..

a couple of TL;DR takeaways for now

Avoid entirely:
Electric razor, hair dryer, headphones, cell phones (in pocket or against head), microwave

Avoid as much as possible:
Oven, cell phone (even texting or browsing)

Be careful in general:
Getting too close or staying too close to anything electronic

Circuit Box:
EMF output: 150-200 mG
Safe distance: 6-12 ft (don't use unless you have to, be quick about it when you do use it)

House Air Conditioner / House Fan:
EMF output: 50-100 mG
Safe distance: 6 feet (don't get near unless you have to. probably best to turn off if you must)

Walls/Outlets
EMF Ouput: upwards of 10-20mG
Safe distance: 1-2 ft

Box Fan:
EMF Output: A lot (400 mG ish)
Safe distance: 3 ft (actually more like 1 ft, but because the output is so high, better safe than sorry)

Hair Dryer:
EMF output (A LOT)
Safe distance: n/a... don't use a hair dryer ever!!!

Electric Shaver:
EMF output (A Lot)
Safe distance: n/a

Cell Phone:
EMF output (30 mG)
Safe distance: ~2-3 ft. OK to just leave on table a few ft away. Do not put in your pocket ever, if you must, turn it off. 30 mG is 15x acceptable limits. Do not talk with your phone against your ear. Don't use your phone a lot in general unless you can access it remotely. I noticed the EMF's on the phone tended to spike, probably correlating to wifi / 4G activity (like receiving a text/ phone call...)

WhirlPool:
EMF output (20mg)
Safe distance: pretty much n/a... no point to use it if you can't be in the tub... this one made me sad because I love epsom salt whirlpool baths
edit - even more sad... measured again, 6 mG even with whirlpool off :( I can't even use my bath tub again ever...

Microwave:
EMF output (a metric CRAP ton)
Safe distance: Over 12 ft (yes, you read right) if you MUST use a microwave, immediately flee out of the kitchen lol... I'll probably be ditching my microwave after seeing this...

Stove/Oven:
EMF output (150 mG)
Safe distance: 3 ft this was surprising. It seems no way of heating food seems to be safe.

Keurig:
EMF output (15 mg)
Safe distance: 2-3 ft

Computer (includes monitor, pc itself, any high power external devices, monitor/TV):
EMF output: (a fairly high amount)
Safe distance: 3 feet. This one isn't as bad as I thought it may be. As long as you have the keyboard and mouse far enough way it's fine for long term use. Keep in mind I'm directly connected to the router though, not using wireless.

Computer Keyboard:
Emf output: 0.5 mG
Safe distance: any

Computer Mouse:
EMF output: 1.7 mG
Safe distance: any... kinda. This is pushing the limits.

Headphones:
EMF output: 10 mG
Safe distance: n/a. Don't use headphones, except maybe for occasional phone call (safer than cell phone which is 30 mG). Never use headphones all day for video games, TV watching, or a job. If your job has you using headsets all day... time for a new job.

Washer:
EMF output: 15 mG
Safe distance: 6 ft

Dryer:
EMF output: 30 mG
Safe distance: 6 ft

In what distance have you measured the field strength?
What frequencies do they emmit? I don't think static or low frequency fields are nearly as harmful as radiation between 500MHz and 10GHz.
What frequency range can your meter even detect? Is the sensibility constant over that range?
Sorry, your effort in honour, but your amateur approach will likely not lead to useful and correct conclusions.

I think the most dangerous devices are cell phones, when they are sending data to the nearest tower.
The worst scenario is when you are at a place with bad signal (high distance to the nearest tower or the phone is somehow shielded, like in a car) and then running an application where lots of data has to be sent constantly like video chat.
So for example uploading a file to dropbox is probably 1.000x worse than downloading the same file.

For using the internet, which is mandatory nowadays, the exposure to potentially harmful radiation is ranked as follows:
Ethernet (LAN) < Wifi << Mobile

OP
Cirion

Cirion

Yeah my initial post was kind amateurish. I can't edit the first post anymore though. That was done with a cheap $20 scanner that could only measure MF's and only in 1-axis and before I even realized that MF's were separate from EF and RF / DE readings.

With my more expensive scanner I have now (Trifield TF2), I realize the nuances now of an average reading and peak reading (especially for RF's, RF's usually average out at a certain level but have very large peak values like when you get a text message or something).

Yes cell phones and routers are among the two worst.

Neighbors can really mess you up bad with RF emissions I found. I am toying with the idea of moving my TV and whatnot to the basement because the earth shields me from a lot of RF's, in my living room, RF's are quite high from the neighbors.

Apartments would probably be horrible with RF emissions. The safest thing to do would be to own a house that has at least 50 ft separation between units, probably more if possible, to avoid their wi-fi signals.

Again RF emissions are much harder to quantify than electric fields or magnetic fields, but suffice it to say I had readings that were 1000x+ higher than recommended limits. I'd need to have the scanner Haidut owns because that one can actually make plots over time, showing the spikes clearly etc.

OP
Cirion

Cirion

I made an uncomfortable discovery last night also. I don't know how, but my CPAP machine puts out several hundred V/m electric field, transferred along the air hose. Anyone have any idea how this is possible? I guess the air hose is somehow electrically conductive?? The reading was almost off the charts (like 500-800 V/m).

Knowing that, I don't think I can use my CPAP machine any more. It's worth noting that ironically, once I got my CPAP machine, I never had a perfect nights' sleep ever. I don't think it's a coincidence. Though, I tried not using it last night and ended up with severe insomnia... argh.

edit - it's because my CPAP has a heated hose so yes there are electrical elements IN the hose/mask. Maybe I can find myself a non-heated air hose.

BTW last night I found out you can disable wi-fi and radio etc in your car. I plan to try it out probably today or tomorrow. To do so you can pull the fuse in the drivers' side of the car near the brake pads. This should help with some of my car EMF emissions. I also plan to plaster aluminum foil almost all around the dashboard where I can without covering up essential things. Though, some of that will have to wait actually until next week now that I think about it because I have to pass a safety test (plate renewal) first.

Last edited:
OP
Cirion

Cirion

Guys, a new discovery that is very important.

If you have a smart thermometer like Sensi, turn off Wi-fi on it.

I thought I was getting lots of signals from neighbors because I was still getting huge RF readings in my house despite turning off the router.

It turns out that smart thermometers are as bad as routers if not worse. At point blank, the readings of RF were off the charts (caused my meter to glitch). As soon as I turned off the wi-fi, RF readings in my living room is fairly manageable now.

Smart thermometers sure are a convenience, but not worth the HUGE rf readings you get hit with. BTW, I literally walk right past my thermometer several times a day because it is right in the kitchen, so unbeknownst to me I was irradiating myself badly on a daily basis.

I may not have to resort to moving my PC downstairs after all.

Last edited:

Mossy

Guys, a new discovery that is very important.

If you have a smart thermometer like Sensi, turn off Wi-fi on it.

I thought I was getting lots of signals from neighbors because I was still getting huge RF readings in my house despite turning off the router.

It turns out that smart thermometers are as bad as routers if not worse. At point blank, the readings of RF were off the charts (caused my meter to glitch). As soon as I turned off the wi-fi, RF readings in my living room is fairly manageable now.

Smart thermometers sure are a convenience, but not worth the HUGE rf readings you get hit with. BTW, I literally walk right past my thermometer several times a day because it is right in the kitchen, so unbeknownst to me I was irradiating myself badly on a daily basis.

I may not have to resort to moving my PC downstairs after all.
Interesting. There was a time I was looking to get a smart meter. No need now.

Well, the only downside now is all the living-in-a-basement jokes you can no longer use.

Logan-

Are wireless keyboards and wireless mouses problematic? Wired keyboards and mouses are maybe a better option, EMF-wise? I have always wondered about this.

OP
Cirion

Cirion

Yes, anything wireless should be replaced with wired wherever possible. Bluetooth is almost as bad as wi-fi.

Logan-

Have you ever measured wireless keyboards&mouses with your EMF meter? How do they compare to other devices?

OP
Cirion

Cirion

Not sure off the top of my head. Just from what I've heard. I could measure it when I get the chance and report back though.

Hugh Johnson

I don't think apartments are necessarily that bad. My RF meter does not show high readings in mine, though it is a cheap meter, and I believe this is due to the thick stone walls protecting me from the worst of neigbours' Wifi.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals