I Have An EMF Meter. I'm Going To Test Stuff. What Should I Test?

bistecca

Ok here we go. I have a Cornet ED88-Tplus and it tests for EMF pollution.

• RF -Wide radio frequency detection range : 100 MHz to 8 GHz (–60 dBm to 5 dBm)
  • LF1 -Low frequency range 1 magnetic field range: 50 Hz to 10 kHz (0.1 uT to 60 uT)/(1 mG to 600 mG)
  • LF2 -Low frequency range 2 magnetic field range: 50 Hz to 1 kHz (0.01 uT to 10 uT)/(0.1 mG to 10 mG)
  • ELF -Low frequency electric field range: 50 Hz to 50 kHz (10 V/m to 100 V/m)
It can test in all of those chunks of spectrum. I'm going to test anything I can think of and post results in V/M for categories RF and ELF, and in uT for LF1 and LF2.

I'll state the location(near some device, proximity) and then the series of values(RF, LF1, LF2, ELF).

I'll either state the average value or the range, depending on the fluctuation.

If you have suggestions, fire away.

If you have commentary on which of these spectrums is most significant, fire away.

ambient, bedroom. Laptop on wifi, router downstairs.
( RF .2 / LF1 .05 / LF2 .02 / ELF 3 )

Touching my cell phone, iphone7 while the cell phone is not on airplane mode, but not making a call or processing data.
( RF .08-10/ LF1 .1 / LF2 .1-.6 / ELF 3-19 )

Using a power tool(contact against handle of makita 18v compact power drill
( RF .2 / LF1 Over Limit / LF2 Over Limit / ELF 500+)

I had suspicion that these numbers would be high just based on symptoms I experienced while working construction.. I had no clue how high they would be.

sitting on my laptop while it is connected to wifi and transmitting data, not plugged in to charger.
( RF .3/ LF1 1 / LF2 .9-over limit / ELF 3 )

sitting on laptop, connected to wifi and transmitting data, plugged into charger.
( RF .2 / LF1 2 / LF2 .1-over limit / ELF 630 )
Yes 630 V/M. Not just the laptop, but the charger cable as well.

that's it for now. More later.

RealNeat

Ive found surprisingly high RF readings form wireless home phones and their transmitter bases. Game consoles usually emit even when off, even modern printers do that.

This is a great tutorial and explanation overall.

Last edited:

TheSir

I have played around with this too. Interestingly the metal body of my table radiates about 10x the ambient when my laptop is on it.

Tarmander

I have this meter too. Very affordable.

One interesting thing is to make a phone call on your cell phone and then measure the RF amounts very close and then progressively farther away

Really shows the difference between using speaker phone and holding it up to your ear

OP
bistecca

bistecca

I have this meter too. Very affordable.

One interesting thing is to make a phone call on your cell phone and then measure the RF amounts very close and then progressively farther away

Really shows the difference between using speaker phone and holding it up to your ear

Yea. I'm almost less concerned about phone and wifi use than I am about big systemic stuff from power lines, charging cables, high voltage stuff..

I've gotten comparable readings to cell phone use when just sitting in my car at a stoplight on a busy road, surrounded by shopping centers and businesses.

A big question for me is whether 10 V/m RF is the same hazard as 10 V/M ELF.. And how do those other spectra weigh in..?

Personally I've never noticed anything from a laptop charger, or really anything besides wifi.

those devices could have significant EMF but i think the 'drop-off' range is quite low.

whereas WiFi is emitting a low signal, but it is pulsing constantly and designed to do so over a wide and lengthy radius.

I bought some aluminized mylar recently, it was horrible to sleep with but I'm going to use it instead by taping it onto my walls. I tested it and my phone gets poor signal when wrapped in it so that's promising. I have 5 sheets, each 7'x4' so that should cover most if not the entirety of the wall adjacent to my router. I'm going to test and see if it has any results. EMF meters are useful but personally I just like to deduce things based on how my body reacts. Never thought but i would be the tinfoil guy but here i am lol

Giraffe

@bistecca, please measure near the fridge. My understanding that the highest readings are at the back side. It would be interesting to know how much goes through the wall. Is it OK to sit or sleep there next to the wall? If it is feasable, please measure there too.

OP
bistecca

bistecca

@bistecca, please measure near the fridge. My understanding that the highest readings are at the back side. It would be interesting to know how much goes through the wall. Is it OK to sit or sleep there next to the wall? If it is feasable, please measure there too.

Will do. I think they are intermittent and it depends on when the compressor is running. I know that anything with a compressor requires an AC motor which=big time emf. Same with your washer and dryer. I know ray mentioned in an article or interview that people with occupational exposure to big AC motors like those who work in laundromats and with sewing machines are more likely to experience neurological disorders of some sort.. can't remember what condition in particular.

Atman

Please mesaure the difference in emf amplitude of a mobile phone between receiving data (for exmample watching a youtube video) and sending data ( for example uploading a large file to your dropbox or making a large file upload to a website) while using mobile data (no wifi).

The expectation would be that the later has a much bigger amplitude. I am asking because I have repeatedly noticed getting a headache after a couple of minutes of continious upload.

OP
bistecca

bistecca

Please mesaure the difference in emf amplitude of a mobile phone between receiving data (for exmample watching a youtube video) and sending data ( for example uploading a large file to your dropbox or making a large file upload to a website) while using mobile data (no wifi).
heard that, will do.

Mauritio

Electric razor and blow drier.

OP
bistecca

bistecca

The expectation would be that the later has a much bigger amplitude. I am asking because I have repeatedly noticed getting a headache after a couple of minutes of continious upload.

Iphone7, downloading

( RF 1.5-10 / LF1 .3 / LF2 .4 / ELF 5)

iphone7, Uploading

( RF 1.5-10 / LF1 .3 / LF2 over limit / ELF 50-1000)

So wow.. Yea.. It looks like you were correct. I reckon that changes my stance on cell phone use a little bit.

Last edited:

Noodlz2

Could you check readings at different parts of your car? Near the foot area, on the seat, near the head area. In different seats, passenger, back seats, trunk. Even with the car off, to see if the readings drop to zero.

Also, you may not be able to do this, but it would be great to see differences between normal and electric cars.

If you have another person who can drive while you check readings, it would be interesting to see how they change while driving.

OP
bistecca

bistecca

Could you check readings at different parts of your car? Near the foot area, on the seat, near the head area. In different seats, passenger, back seats, trunk. Even with the car off, to see if the readings drop to zero.

Also, you may not be able to do this, but it would be great to see differences between normal and electric cars.

If you have another person who can drive while you check readings, it would be interesting to see how they change while driving.

Will do. I have driven around and haven't noticed anything significantly different from background.. I even did put it down by my feet and didn't notice anything aberrant.. It seems to vary wildly based upon location more than whether the car is operating/accelerating/etc. Being away from town and down in a hollow surrounded by trees gives you the quietest. Being near certain power lines will cause a big spike.. I remember reading something online somewhere, when I was interested in whether driving a tesla was dangerous from the motor.. The argument was basically, "even normal cars produce comparable fields from the moving metal parts". I haven't been able to find anything like that. I have used it while driving an electric golf cart and I do remember that one of the LF categories went very high when the motor was activating. I'm inclined to believe electric motors like that will put off a big field.

Last edited:

Atman

Iphone7, downloading

( RF 1.5-10 / LF1 .3 / LF2 .4 / ELF 5)

iphone7, Uploading

( RF 1.5-10 / LF1 .3 / LF2 over limit / ELF 50-1000)

So wow.. Yea.. It looks like you were correct. I reckon that changes my stance on cell phone use a little bit.
Thanks for checking.
Although I don't understand why the amplitude of the RF range didn't change. I would have predicted the biggest difference in that realm.
Which frequency band does your mobile use? I think in America it should be around 2 GHz for 3G.

Either way, when in doubt trust your own senses.
If you get headaches, no study or detector reading should convince you that it is harmless.

OP
bistecca

bistecca

Thanks for checking.
Although I don't understand why the amplitude of the RF range didn't change. I would have predicted the biggest difference in that realm.
Which frequency band does your mobile use? I think in America it should be around 2 GHz for 3G.

Either way, when in doubt trust your own senses.
If you get headaches, no study or detector reading should convince you that it is harmless.

Oh crap i think I was probably transmitting that data through the wifi in the house.. woops
i'll flip off the wifi data and do it again.

I've been trying to get a reading on the fridge but haven't been down there when the compressor is running.

Ok here we go. I have a Cornet ED88-Tplus and it tests for EMF pollution.

• RF -Wide radio frequency detection range : 100 MHz to 8 GHz (–60 dBm to 5 dBm)
  • LF1 -Low frequency range 1 magnetic field range: 50 Hz to 10 kHz (0.1 uT to 60 uT)/(1 mG to 600 mG)
  • LF2 -Low frequency range 2 magnetic field range: 50 Hz to 1 kHz (0.01 uT to 10 uT)/(0.1 mG to 10 mG)
  • ELF -Low frequency electric field range: 50 Hz to 50 kHz (10 V/m to 100 V/m)
It can test in all of those chunks of spectrum. I'm going to test anything I can think of and post results in V/M for categories RF and ELF, and in uT for LF1 and LF2.

I'll state the location(near some device, proximity) and then the series of values(RF, LF1, LF2, ELF).

I'll either state the average value or the range, depending on the fluctuation.

If you have suggestions, fire away.

If you have commentary on which of these spectrums is most significant, fire away.

ambient, bedroom. Laptop on wifi, router downstairs.
( RF .2 / LF1 .05 / LF2 .02 / ELF 3 )

Touching my cell phone, iphone7 while the cell phone is not on airplane mode, but not making a call or processing data.
( RF .08-10/ LF1 .1 / LF2 .1-.6 / ELF 3-19 )

Using a power tool(contact against handle of makita 18v compact power drill
( RF .2 / LF1 Over Limit / LF2 Over Limit / ELF 500+)

I had suspicion that these numbers would be high just based on symptoms I experienced while working construction.. I had no clue how high they would be.

sitting on my laptop while it is connected to wifi and transmitting data, not plugged in to charger.
( RF .3/ LF1 1 / LF2 .9-over limit / ELF 3 )

sitting on laptop, connected to wifi and transmitting data, plugged into charger.
( RF .2 / LF1 2 / LF2 .1-over limit / ELF 630 )
Yes 630 V/M. Not just the laptop, but the charger cable as well.

that's it for now. More later.
I had tremendous searing back pain for over a year that only happened when I would go to bed. I camped in every room to avoid that pain in that room at bedtime. Finally considering the EMF angle and we bought an EMF meter, and the cause of my pain turned out to be a little ocellating air cooler that came with bigger floor one that we bought from Costco. We turned it on every night. It was putting out far more EMF's than our microwave!! We don't how much more because the meter doesn't go that high. Once we removed the fan I never had that searing pain again. I started thinking about other places that I would have odd symtoms, like dizziness sometimes washing the dishes, that turned out to be the dishwasher! I was put out a bunch too! Then I thought about how I would get achy watching TV and it turned out that the front of the refrigerator was puting out nothing, but the back of it WAS, right into my back and head where the sofa was against the wall! Since so much discovery, we have bought a "dirty meter" which measures leftover electricity coming out of outlets and discovered more areas that were affecting me negatively with headaches, agitation and such. Oh those EMF's cause more problems than people realize! I am just lucky that my my body let's me know before I develope serious lifelong issues that might have included lifelong medications and it's their hot mess snowball effect.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals