850nm Light For Bone Remodeling / Orthodontics

Dan W

I haven't read this very carefully, but I bet it's of interest to a lot of people here:

Invisalign with Photobiomodulation: Optimizing Tooth Movement and Treatment Efficacy with a Novel Self-Assessment Algorithm
OrthoPulse [850nm light device] has been shown to accelerate a variety of tooth movements, including leveling and alignment and space closure, by as much as 2.3 times in animals and humans.

Which references this:
Photobiomodulation accelerates orthodontic alignment in the early phase of treatment
Photobiomodulation produced clinically significant changes in the rates of tooth movement as compared to the control group during the alignment phase of orthodontic treatment.
[Light-accelerated orthodontics] shows promise in producing a noninvasive stimulation of the dentoalveolar complex with a potential impact on ATP production by mitochondrial cells. The assumption is that an increase in ATP at a localized site will induce cells to undergo a remodeling process due to an elevated metabolic activity. Cytochrome oxidase c mediates ATP production. It is upregulated twofold by infrared light. During the tooth movement phase, higher ATP availability helps cells 'turnover’ more efficiently leading to an increased remodeling process and accelerated tooth movement. LAO may also be functioning through an increased vascular activity, which would also contribute to the rapid turnover of the bone and is amenable to light.

The experimental version is the first headgear that increases your coolness levels, at least for fans of Star Wars:
red-light-orthodontic-headgear.jpg

But the consumer version is boring, barely even hinting at its ability to turn you into a Force user:
red-light-orthodontic-headgear-consumer.jpg

They have a doctor-finder if you want to use the official device along with standard orthodontic care.

When skimming the referenced papers, I saw numbers like 60 mW/cm2 power output, and mentions of 5 minutes per day per area. I don't know if that's the actual output/regimen they standardized on though. But that output is more than achievable with cheap lighting based on @Sucrates' device testing here.

Dan, great, thank you, man!
I ordered LEDs with different waves: 640 nm, 740 nm, 840 nm, 940 nm,
and different power ratings: 0.1 W, 1 W, 3W, from aliexpress,
will build my own device(s), will see how it goes.
Andrei.

800mRepeats

Hmm... could one take a tray used for accelerating teeth whitening (similar to the one in the photo) and swap out the LEDs? IIRC, such trays are available via Amazon for $20-30 or so.

tankasnowgod

Hmm... could one take a tray used for accelerating teeth whitening (similar to the one in the photo) and swap out the LEDs? IIRC, such trays are available via Amazon for $20-30 or so.

There already appears to be a device with red and infrared on amazon- DPL Device
Although it may have a couple blue leds, can't quite tell, but it would still be a 2:2:1 red:infrared:blue ratio, depending on other descriptions.

I've been shining a Red Light Man Device in my mouth, and noticed an improvement in gum health within a week. If you want 850nm, you could use one of those small IR illuminators on your cheeks, that should penetrate into the teeth and gums, since IR penetrates deeper anyway.

I brought this cheap hunting flashlight years ago, and oddly, it seems to have more visible red light penetrate the cheek than anything else I've tried (using the mirror test)- Ultrafire® Wf-502b Cree Q5 Single - Mode 300 Lumen Red Light Fishing Hungting LED Flashlight Torch(high-quality) - - Amazon.com

artlange

I use a night light for a security camera. from Amazon for less than $10. has 48 IR LEDs 845 nm. it runs on 12V. draws about 1/2 amp. I move it all over my face and hair for 10 or 15 minutes each day. Since I made other dietary changes (Peat-inspired), I don't know how much the IR helped my oral health and increased hair coloring (less gray, more brown) I've been doing the IR treatments for about 6 mo.

chanlaw

This can be used to move maxilla upward and forward faster yes? I am v recessed

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals