850nm Light For Bone Remodeling / Orthodontics

Discussion in 'Red Light, Infrared, LLLT' started by Dan Wich, May 18, 2017.

1. Dan Wich

Dan Wich Member

I haven't read this very carefully, but I bet it's of interest to a lot of people here:

Invisalign with Photobiomodulation: Optimizing Tooth Movement and Treatment Efficacy with a Novel Self-Assessment Algorithm
    Which references this:
    Photobiomodulation accelerates orthodontic alignment in the early phase of treatment
    The experimental version is the first headgear that increases your coolness levels, at least for fans of Star Wars:
    [​IMG]

But the consumer version is boring, barely even hinting at its ability to turn you into a Force user:
    [​IMG]

They have a doctor-finder if you want to use the official device along with standard orthodontic care.

When skimming the referenced papers, I saw numbers like 60 mW/cm2 power output, and mentions of 5 minutes per day per area. I don't know if that's the actual output/regimen they standardized on though. But that output is more than achievable with cheap lighting based on @Sucrates' device testing here.

2. andrei.pozolotin

andrei.pozolotin Member

Dan, great, thank you, man!
    I ordered LEDs with different waves: 640 nm, 740 nm, 840 nm, 940 nm,
    and different power ratings: 0.1 W, 1 W, 3W, from aliexpress,
    will build my own device(s), will see how it goes.
    Andrei.

3. 800mRepeats

800mRepeats Member

Hmm... could one take a tray used for accelerating teeth whitening (similar to the one in the photo) and swap out the LEDs? IIRC, such trays are available via Amazon for $20-30 or so.

4. tankasnowgod

tankasnowgod Member

There already appears to be a device with red and infrared on amazon- DPL Device
    Although it may have a couple blue leds, can't quite tell, but it would still be a 2:2:1 red:infrared:blue ratio, depending on other descriptions.

I've been shining a Red Light Man Device in my mouth, and noticed an improvement in gum health within a week. If you want 850nm, you could use one of those small IR illuminators on your cheeks, that should penetrate into the teeth and gums, since IR penetrates deeper anyway.

I brought this cheap hunting flashlight years ago, and oddly, it seems to have more visible red light penetrate the cheek than anything else I've tried (using the mirror test)- Ultrafire® Wf-502b Cree Q5 Single - Mode 300 Lumen Red Light Fishing Hungting LED Flashlight Torch(high-quality) - - Amazon.com

5. artlange

artlange Member

I use a night light for a security camera. from Amazon for less than $10. has 48 IR LEDs 845 nm. it runs on 12V. draws about 1/2 amp. I move it all over my face and hair for 10 or 15 minutes each day. Since I made other dietary changes (Peat-inspired), I don't know how much the IR helped my oral health and increased hair coloring (less gray, more brown) I've been doing the IR treatments for about 6 mo.

6. chanlaw

chanlaw Member

This can be used to move maxilla upward and forward faster yes? I am v recessed