Compilation Of EMFs Of Common Everyday Objects

Lee Simeon

No idea, don't own one, if the motor is on the floor of it maybe it's not too bad because then only your feet/legs would get much EMF exposure and not any critical organs. My opinion is as long as you don't expose organs to high EMF, then you can probably get away with some high EMF exposure now and then. But something like a blow dryer, or an electric shaver, laptop, headphones I would avoid like the plague.

Anyone have experience with the air tube headphones? I may try those out, that's one way to still use headphones.

I dunno how much EMF laptop output but it may be several hundred mG. And right on your lap, all 100% of that several hundred mG goes straight to your balls. A great way to get testicular cancer if you use it enough. Not to mention, probably trashes your testosterone levels.
I use air tube airplugs at the moment. Ordered 7 of them because you can get them super cheap from ebay.

Jem Oz

These EMF threads are alarming. And potentially unhelpful. It's great to increase awareness, but if you believe it's as bad as you're making out, surely you would make DRASTIC changes to your life INSTANTLY. As in quit your job, sell your house, end your lease, get rid of most if not all of your electronic devices, stop driving a car, stop shaving, and move somewhere remote. You wouldn't stand on ceremony, you wouldn't make excuses, you would just act immediately.

Unless you're willing to do that, please just tone things down a bit. And consider the negative impact of being hooked on extreme doom and gloom....

bistecca

I was working construction and using electric hand tools for large portions of the day and I started noticing serious swelling, tension, pain and immobility in my hands at night, in relation to use of tools like circular saws, sawzalls, etc. I had been doing lots of work with my hands before starting to use power tools and never experienced the sensations i experienced when using power tools.

I know there are builders in affluent areas that design homes to reduce "dirty electricity". Stuff like using grounded conduit for running electrical wire through walls, shielding mechanical rooms, etc.

bistecca

These EMF threads are alarming. And potentially unhelpful. It's great to increase awareness, but if you believe it's as bad as you're making out, surely you would make DRASTIC changes to your life INSTANTLY. As in quit your job, sell your house, end your lease, get rid of most if not all of your electronic devices, stop driving a car, stop shaving, and move somewhere remote. You wouldn't stand on ceremony, you wouldn't make excuses, you would just act immediately.

Unless you're willing to do that, please just tone things down a bit. And consider the negative impact of being hooked on extreme doom and gloom....

I don't agree with what you've said. I think this is incredibly helpful. It's not about pouting and feeling defeated, it's about feeling empowered and enabled to make good decisions about your future. I really dislike whenever i try to talk about health with people they immediately discount my interest and assume it's some sort of crippling burdensome rain cloud over my head. It's not. It's another tool in the belt for living a happy healthy life.

Jem Oz

I'm ALL for increasing understanding and improving health, but IN THIS INSTANCE, what's the point?? EMF is EVERYWHERE. It's literally inescapable unless you make the most dramatic changes to your entire way of life. Therefore, threads like this aren't very helpful.

Also your response is quite telling: you say "whenever I try to talk about health with people they immediately discount my interest". I think that sentence right there is part of the problem, and is the fuel in the doom and gloom fire.

Never discount the possibility that what you're drawn to isn't in your best interests, and be open to the possibility that there are other, unconscious things motivating you.

bistecca

EMF is EVERYWHERE. It's literally inescapable unless you make the most dramatic changes to your entire way of life.

You don't seem to appreciate that EMF exposure, just like EVERY OTHER HAZARD OUT THERE, occurs in a gradient. The DOSE makes the POISON. Just like you can't avoid PUFA, just like you can't avoid STRESS, just like you can't avoid POLLUTION, just like you can't avoid anything that is bad, ENTIRELY, that does not negate the importance of being aware of risk and quantifying exposure.

Jem Oz

We have considerable control over those other examples. We can drastically limit PUFA intake. We can de-stress in a thousand helpful ways. The EMF threads are indicating that it's literally everywhere, in alarming amounts. Do you honestly think it's worth the effort to stop using an electric shaver, if there are dozens of wifi routers within earshot, mobile phone towers, and you drive in a car every day to a standard workplace filled with computers?

It's just pointless stuff.

Queequeg

bistecca

We have considerable control over those other examples. We can drastically limit PUFA intake. We can de-stress in a thousand helpful ways. The EMF threads are indicating that it's literally everywhere, in alarming amounts. Do you honestly think it's worth the effort to stop using an electric shaver, if there are dozens of wifi routers within earshot, mobile phone towers, and you drive in a car every day to a standard workplace filled with computers?

It's just pointless stuff.

You're not making sense. Just like you can quantify and limit pufa, you can also quantify and limit EMF. That's the whole point of this thread. You seem to have missed it. I'm perfectly content using a non-electric shaver, and making all the other countless and simple interventions to minimize EMF exposure. Don't keep my phone in my pocket? easy. Don't use a hair dryer? easy. Don't use a microwave or stand next to the dryer or oven while it's on? easy. And frankly all of this information makes it easier for me to make big decisions about important things like the lifestyle i want to cultivate moving forward.. Maybe I don't want to have a tethered high-tech life.. Maybe I don't want to be on my cell phone or sitting at a computer for hours every day. I know for certain i don't want to work in an industrial context like Peat has pointed out in articles, that people who work in industrial textile factories and laundromats have higher incidence of certain health issues(parkinsons and neurodegenerative conditions i believe). Knowledge is power. I thought someone on a forum like this wouldn't get the "doom and gloom" paranoia but would enjoy learning about stuff like this.

I guess i can understand that someone who feels trapped in their situation and unable and unwilling to make changes would view this kind of stuff as "doom and gloom."

Last edited:

Jem Oz

I'm being a bit harsh, put it down to skipping lunch. It's frustrating to learn EMF is everywhere and that making minor changes might not be worth the hassle. I also felt that if we're quibbling about whether to stand 3 or 4 feet from the oven, we may have lost touch with the bigger picture. But more power to all of us.

bistecca

I'm being a bit harsh, put it down to skipping lunch. It's frustrating to learn EMF is everywhere and that making minor changes might not be worth the hassle. I also felt that if we're quibbling about whether to stand 3 or 4 feet from the oven, we may have lost touch with the bigger picture. But more power to all of us.
I understand feeling overwhelmed in the face of a challenge like this. The thing that is interesting about EMF exposure is that while it may be "everywhere", it's important to understand that it dissipates rapidly with distance from the source of emission, which is why distance is so important. Frankly, I've grown more and more disenchanted with the hazards and unintended consequences of modern industrial life, and learning about the hazards of EMF only cements those concerns further. I'm about to buy 40 acres and a mule and say bye to all of it.

Luna

@Cirion
Are you the one measuring all the EMF?
What device are you using?

Can you try coating an electronic device with slime (borax + glue), to see if it blocks out EMF?
Also Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) water in jars to form a wall next to EMF emitting objects?

What about a banana, brazil nut, or an alkaline battery, does your device measure anything from them?

OP
Cirion

Cirion

My intent was not necessarily to scare anyone, but to inform... as a previous poster suggested, and empower someone who is interested to make positive changes. Certainly, in todays' world you can't realistically eliminate all sources of EMF but you can definitely make many easy, actionable steps to at least reduce them. Many of which are incredibly easy to implement yet have powerful effects. Some examples of these would be:

- eliminate electrical hand-held devices like toothbrushes, hair dryers, razors
- limit use of cell phone, turn on airplane mode or better yet off entirely when you carry in your pocket. I've come to realize implementing this that we really don't "need" cell phones as much as we think we do. I don't really miss using it way less.

Correct that the only real way to get rid of all emf is to go to an amish community or something. Which is certainly an option depending on your health goals and current state of health. Some people who are extremely sick may have to go this route.

OP
Cirion

Cirion

@Cirion
Are you the one measuring all the EMF?
What device are you using?

Can you try coating an electronic device with slime (borax + glue), to see if it blocks out EMF?
Also Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) water in jars to form a wall next to EMF emitting objects?

What about a banana, brazil nut, or an alkaline battery, does your device measure anything from them?

I just use a cheap $20 ish one I found off amazon. So it's probably not the most accurate, and I wouldn't take any numbers I posted as the gospel truth but rather a ballpark number to give an idea which ones are high and which things read low in EMF. In reality, EMF's vary based upon many variables, and also vary over time. For example a cell phone reads close to 0 mG unless it is receiving wi-fi / 4G signals, at which time it spikes up to a large amount. So a cell phones' emf output is more like a step-function over time if you were to look at a plot of EMF vs. time. Also my scanner only could look at 2 dimension at once so a 3 dimension scanner would be more accurate. EMF also of course vary as a function of distance which also isn't captured by my numbers. In addition, my "safe distance" is a rather subjective number I came up with myself, which is the distance it takes to get to 0 mG plus a certain "buffer" distance just to be safe. Finally, not all devices are made equal. Maybe an iphone gives out more or less EMF than an android, maybe certain brands of razors are more or less emf than others. I feel fairly confident in saying though, that all phones, all electrical razors, etc. give out more emf than what I'd consider safe.

I think some of the fancier more expensive $200+ ones can plot EMF over time like I just discussed. I don't see a need to really do this unless you really want to nerd out though. For the average joe, the $20 one is probably fine.

Last edited:

DaveFoster

I measured my electric toothbrush, and it has massive EMF output, higher than anything I have seen since I moved out of that one apartment near a cell tower. I did not use it and got to sleep a lot better than the previous night.
That's very unfortunate about the toothbrush. Thanks for sharing.

OP
Cirion

Cirion

I just took the plunge and ordered an expensive tri-field meter (not only magnetic but also electric and RF fields) and also a dirty electricity measurement tool. It's the newer model of what Haidut recommended https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078T2R64C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think I was getting alot of chronic stress from my router. I am now permanently turning off my wi-fi on my router (I use ethernet connection to my PC, and rarely use my phone, and when I do I'll just use my data plan). I was having some weird random aches and pains and also gut pain during the night when I realized I was sleeping directly below my router, just a few ft away. Not sure how much RF I was blasting myself with (won't receive my new meter in the mail until next week), but probably somewhere in the 1-30 milliwatt/m^2 range... when the safe value is less than 10 MICROwatts / m^2. That would definitely explain it.

TV's don't put out a lot of magnetic fields, but may put out a respectable amount of RF if you have cable maybe. I don't have cable personally.

I have a sinking feeling that even with turning off my wi-fi I'm going to be significantly above 10 microwatts/m^2 due to all the neighbors' wi-fi. Wi-fi has a significantly larger radius of influence than most magnetic fields and seems to be harder to shield from. If it's bad I may have to build a faraday cage around my bed.

I think I now see the merit of having a de-tached house vs. a condo or townhouse. If I do move to the beach as planned (once I get a job down there in FL ideally), I think I will buy an actual house that has a good amount of space between myself and neighbors.

I now see why people say wi-fi is worse than any other form of radiation I think... the problem again is that its sphere of influence is enormous, coupled with the fact that there are so many sources of wi-fi. Even a single source of wi-fi results in unacceptable levels of RF, let alone dozens or even hundreds...

Last edited:

frant26

Thanks for keeping up posted with your measurements.

I agree with the improvements in health a Faraday cage may bring. I'm single, and I am just picturing the moment when I get a girl to my place and invite her "into my cage"...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals