Can't Wake Up

OP
frant26

frant26

Something I'm trying: leave my earbuds in my phone. When my alarm goes off, put on a song and dose with it playing. This seems to wake me up if it's a good song.

I just shuffled songs in my phone, first one that came up: Alone Again by Gilbert O'Sullivan - a beautiful but totally suicidal song.. not the best to start the day :D

Next one Lovely Day by Bill Withers, I'll stick with that. Good idea.

Brian

Yeah, I hope Nofap helps.

How would you go about figuring out what keeps it high?

But most importantly, how can you possibly know your prolactin went down without testing it? Change in symptoms? I ask this because I'm clueless about inferring this kind of things, and I have to learn.

Yeah I don't know for sure. Ive never been into testing things. I just learn the major symptoms of various hormonal levels and make my best guess. Not the most precise way of doing things, but it's worked for me alright.

Some of the main things that raise prolactin are zinc deficiency and calcium metabolism issues. So magnesium and fat solubles could be a factor as well, but for me zinc and vitamin A seemed to make the biggest difference initially. Then magnesium and B6 starting having an additional positive effect.

Last edited:

raypeatclips

A half hour of one minute sets and a few minutes rest is probably enough. Progressive resistance in weightlifting or body weight routines are one way to go about it, but a sport involving sprinting or something like rock climbing are also good for keeping the body insulin sensitive.

Thank you. So you don't think doing the typical high weights to failure is necessary? Body weight would be adequate?

Brian

Thank you. So you don't think doing the typical high weights to failure is necessary? Body weight would be adequate?

I've focused on bodyweight progressions for the last couple of years, working up to handstand pushups, weighted pullups/dips, and single leg squats. I think time under tension needs to be around 60-90 seconds and be near failure to deplete significant glycogen, which is probably one of the main things that increases insulin sensitivity.

raypeatclips

I've focused on bodyweight progressions for the last couple of years, working up to handstand pushups, weighted pullups/dips, and single leg squats. I think time under tension needs to be around 60-90 seconds and be near failure to deplete significant glycogen, which is probably one of the main things that increases insulin sensitivity.

When you say time under tension does that mean you hold a position for 60-90 seconds, so essentially doing 1 rep but holding it. Or are you saying sets should last 60-90 seconds?

Brian

When you say time under tension does that mean you hold a position for 60-90 seconds, so essentially doing 1 rep but holding it. Or are you saying sets should last 60-90 seconds?

The set should last about that long. Its a natural set length for weightlifting when to doing the standard 5-12 slower reps, but for bodyweight movements if you are training a lighter resistance one technique is to do explosive faster reps and keep it up for about 6o seconds to near failure. That's just what I prefer, there are lots of other valid ways of going about exercise for increasing insulin sensitivity.

raypeatclips

The set should last about that long. Its a natural set length for weightlifting when to doing the standard 5-12 slower reps, but for bodyweight movements if you are training a lighter resistance one technique is to do explosive faster reps and keep it up for about 6o seconds to near failure. That's just what I prefer, there are lots of other valid ways of going about exercise for increasing insulin sensitivity.

So if I was doing push ups or bodyweight squats, I would do it as fast as I could for 60 seconds?

Have you anywhere you read about this, that you could point me towards?

Waynish

Has no one asked when you go to bed yet? Also, how late are you looking at a screen (computer/phone)?
-- what supplements are you on?
-- what do you eat before bed?

Waynish

I briefly tried paleo for 4 months in 2012. Lost a LOT of weight. Eating a Peat inspired diet ever since.

Prolactin (very high at 33 ng/ml) and TSH (now 6.0) were high since then, and they keep steadily going up.

Coffee, tobacco and cypro are the ONLY substances which I can FEEL the effect. I took a bunch of other vitamins and foods for ages and I just don't feel a great difference - for better or worse. I am seriously jealous of people who can pinpoint one thing like "magnesium made me feel like this or that". I have no clue.

I feel like the Titanic, still afloat and moving, but I don't change course no matter what I do and I'm slowly heading to the iceberg.

Since you can't feel anything I'd be curious about your gut/digestion. Which foods make you feel which ways?

OP
frant26

frant26

Has no one asked when you go to bed yet? Also, how late are you looking at a screen (computer/phone)?
-- what supplements are you on?
-- what do you eat before bed?

Going to bed at around 1am. I am usually in front of the computer/phone until then; computer with f.lux on and iPhone on Night Shift mode all day.

Since you can't feel anything I'd be curious about your gut/digestion. Which foods make you feel which ways?

Interesting. Stool is soft, "normal", in color and texture. Sometimes the tip of it is very hard, probably when I eat bread (which I rarely do).

- Coffee and tobacco: give me a kick, I'm more alert and warmer (with coffee with sugar)
- Coffee also gives me (not so much anymore, for some reason) an immediate bowel movement
- Liver with coffee: calm and warm
- Red wine: I hate it. Dry mouth all night.
- Cypro: Very sleepy, even the next morning
- A small dose of MDMA (125mg) makes me feel like I'm floating on air. But I do that once a year.

I am going to start noting this down!

Don't feel absolutely any difference from vitamins like niacinamide, magnesium glycinate, thiamin, A/D/E/K (Estroban) or even taurine in high doses. I like aspirin, probably makes me feel good.

Slowly increasing my Lisuride and Tyromix doses until I feel discomfort.

Do you think there's a connection between not feeling much difference, and gut health?

Yesterday I had 3g activated charcoal, my first dump 3 hours later had no signs of black. My second one today, did have. It slightly constipated me.

Brian

So if I was doing push ups or bodyweight squats, I would do it as fast as I could for 60 seconds?

I started off copying the types of bodyweight workouts on simplefit.org, but gradually I developed my own bro-science for calisthenics, which is a lot simpler. Usually 3 minute rest periods and 5-6 sets of the same exercise per session, with both slow and fast sets. And take a whole week off from that exercise to ensure over training is avoided.

Last edited:

Pointless

Going to bed at around 1am. I am usually in front of the computer/phone until then; computer with f.lux on and iPhone on Night Shift mode all day.

Interesting. Stool is soft, "normal", in color and texture. Sometimes the tip of it is very hard, probably when I eat bread (which I rarely do).

- Coffee and tobacco: give me a kick, I'm more alert and warmer (with coffee with sugar)
- Coffee also gives me (not so much anymore, for some reason) an immediate bowel movement
- Liver with coffee: calm and warm
- Red wine: I hate it. Dry mouth all night.
- Cypro: Very sleepy, even the next morning
- A small dose of MDMA (125mg) makes me feel like I'm floating on air. But I do that once a year.

I am going to start noting this down!

Don't feel absolutely any difference from vitamins like niacinamide, magnesium glycinate, thiamin, A/D/E/K (Estroban) or even taurine in high doses. I like aspirin, probably makes me feel good.

Slowly increasing my Lisuride and Tyromix doses until I feel discomfort.

Do you think there's a connection between not feeling much difference, and gut health?

Yesterday I had 3g activated charcoal, my first dump 3 hours later had no signs of black. My second one today, did have. It slightly constipated me.

Cyproheptadine is notorious for making it difficult to wake up. Magnesium, niacinamide, thiamine, and taurine all can do that, also. Magnesium and thiamine for me will make me sleep longer and feel sluggish and brain fogged all day. You don't want to hammer cortisol into the ground with large doses of supplements.

OP
frant26

frant26

I started off copying the types of bodyweight workouts on simplefit.org, but gradually I developed my own bro-science for calisthenics, which is a lot simpler. Usually 3 minute rest periods and 5-6 sets of the same exercise per session, with both slow and fast sets. And take a whole week off from that exercise to ensure over training is avoided.

Brian, I'm curious about your bro-science-based workout. Do you think doing the "7 minute workout" BUT with 3 minute rest periods would be helpful?

3rd day on NoFap and NoCaf. I slept a good 7 hours last night, and I was surprisingly awake this morning.

I put a drop of Tyromix on my left testicle last night before bed. No idea yet what's causing what. To be continued.

OP
frant26

frant26

Cyproheptadine is notorious for making it difficult to wake up. Magnesium, niacinamide, thiamine, and taurine all can do that, also. Magnesium and thiamine for me will make me sleep longer and feel sluggish and brain fogged all day. You don't want to hammer cortisol into the ground with large doses of supplements.

Pointless, I am not taking cypro (I was just stating which substances made me feel a difference)

At the moment supplementing magnesium glycinate, 1 gram, every other day. I doubt that is causing my morning fog, but should I aim for less than 1g?

tara

Take a break from the coffee, see how you feel.
+1.
If I drink more than a little coffee I've sometimes got that can't-wake-up-in-the-morning effect. Worth a try experimenting with dropping or reducing it?

tara

TSH (now 6.0)
That looks relevant - that even meets the batr of clinically hypothyroid in lots of places. Have you been monitoring body temps and heart rate at all? If you are supplementing NDT, are you dividing your doses so you at least get get some before sleep and some when you wake? Have you experimented with gradually (a little increment every 2-4 wks) increasing thyroid supp to see if you can get it to a better range?

At the moment supplementing magnesium glycinate, 1 gram, every other day. I doubt that is causing my morning fog, but should I aim for less than 1g?
Do you mean 1g of Mg glycinate (not particularly much - could try more), or 1g Mg from the glycinate (quite a high dose - could try less)? I'd be thinking ~400 mg Mg could be a good place to start, and then maybe experiment up or down?

OP
frant26

frant26

+1.
If I drink more than a little coffee I've sometimes got that can't-wake-up-in-the-morning effect. Worth a try experimenting with dropping or reducing it?

Thanks tara. I dropped coffee altogether since that suggestion on Monday (along with NoFap). Already seeing benefits, but I will continue. I want to make sure it's that.

That looks relevant - that even meets the batr of clinically hypothyroid in lots of places. Have you been monitoring body temps and heart rate at all? If you are supplementing NDT, are you dividing your doses so you at least get get some before sleep and some when you wake? Have you experimented with gradually (a little increment every 2-4 wks) increasing thyroid supp to see if you can get it to a better range?

Do you mean 1g of Mg glycinate (not particularly much - could try more), or 1g Mg from the glycinate (quite a high dose - could try less)? I'd be thinking ~400 mg Mg could be a good place to start, and then maybe experiment up or down?

I've been measuring temps, I wake up very cold, like 35.5ºC (96ºF). I struggle to get past 36.4ºC. With some food and coffee it normally goes up to 36.8ºC for a while. I started Tyromix (T4:T3 2:1) two weeks ago. Haven't noticed much improvement so I'll increase the dose. My first drop ever really scared me, as even after eating a big breakfast, it took my temperature down to 33.9ºC (93ºF) and I have no idea why but I carried on with it.

Pulse is between 65 and 85.

1g of Mg glycinate, so I should try more. How much magnesium is that? As I mentioned before I'm oblivious to any differences with this kind of supplements. What should I feel? Higher temps?

tara

1g of Mg glycinate, so I should try more. How much magnesium is that? As I mentioned before I'm oblivious to any differences with this kind of supplements.

"https://purebulk.com/magnesium-glycinate-powder/"

Have you run your typical/average daily diet through cronometer or similar recently to get a rough idea of what nutrition you are or aren't getting? (It's a useful tool, but I wouldn't believe all its recommendations - eg it suggests highish PUFAs, low calories, etc.)
You need enough of all the essentials in order to produce energy well. There may be other factors too, but calories, protein, minerals and vitamins are necessary requirements.

I have my doubts about adding much exercise if you think 2000 cals is a lot - you might just deepen the energy deficiency a and resulting stress.

OP
frant26

frant26

"PureBulk Supplements"

Have you run your typical/average daily diet through cronometer or similar recently to get a rough idea of what nutrition you are or aren't getting? (It's a useful tool, but I wouldn't believe all its recommendations - eg it suggests highish PUFAs, low calories, etc.)
You need enough of all the essentials in order to produce energy well. There may be other factors too, but calories, protein, minerals and vitamins are necessary requirements.

I have my doubts about adding much exercise if you think 2000 cals is a lot - you might just deepen the energy deficiency a and resulting stress.

Thanks, magnesium is 18% by weight.

Yes, I use Cronometer. I am eating 2800-3000 calories per day with over 100g of protein and as little fat as possible (but I could improve this), I never let myself be hungry, as well as daily Estroban and B-vitamins and thyroid and the other supplements I mentiond. The only thing I noticed in cronometer is low Manganese. But even after 1 month, I can't lose any weight. I am going to have to increase thyroid dosage... unless there's a better option?

Peaterpeater

I second the suggestion to up your calories especially since you are male and actually ditch the boxing, it will put you into a worse state and will increase lactate which will put you further in a stressed/low thyroid state. If you MUST exercise, do weights and try not to induce lactate (muscle soreness). The first thing I would do is look up Prolactin on this forum and figure out how to lower it asap. In my experience, substances like Thyroid and Progesterone would not work until I got prolactin down. Once Prolactin was lowered, the Thyroid (NDT) and Progesterone could actually do their job in warming me up and increasing my energy. I felt like a complete wreck/zombie when my Prolactin levels were at the range you have it....above 30. I can't remember exactly what I used it may have been a combination of Cypro and Metergoline that helped bring it down along with red light and Peat based diet. Good luck.