How Do You Ensure A Good Night's Sleep?

This is one of these issues that's been plaguing me for 2-3 years now. Actually, it's been plaguing me since I started working. I figure that's at least part of the issue - it's subconscious, or psychosomatic, whatever. Why do I think? Because it's almost exclusively an issue when I have to go to work. Over the weekends, I sleep reasonably good. When I work from home and can wake up at like 7:30 AM, I sleep fine. But when I have to get up at 5:30 AM knowing I have to catch a train or drive 38 miles to the office and spend all day among people, for some reason, I can't sleep properly.

Basically what happens is, I will go to bed around 10-10:30 PM, planning to get up around 5:30 . But what usually happens is I wake up earlier than that, sometimes much earlier, usually because I have to go urinate. And when this happens I am strangely awake, like my brain is just overactive. After I come back from the bathroom, I lie in bed just turning around and my mind is buzzing and racing in every direction, and usually after 30-40 minutes of trying to fall back asleep I give up. Then I have to spend the day running on 5-6 hours of sleep, and unless I get at least 7, I feel like ***t - my coordination is garbage, my brain is foggy and doesn't work, I make less testosterone and feel like a *****, I'm anxious around people and everything that goes with that.

It's now gotten to the point where the very act of going to sleep every night is becoming a stressor in itself because I know I will wake up during the night which will lead to me lacking sleep which will lead to me feeling garbage the next day, etc. I've tried shutting down all windows, taping over all LED's and light sources, using f.lux etc. And I FALL asleep just fine, but I can't for the life of me stay asleep for more than 4-5 hours without waking up (and I can't quite figure out if it's the need to urinate that wakes me up or if I wake up for other reasons). Over the weekend this often happens as well but I have a much easier time falling back asleep after the fact.

I tried drinking less as well and there doesn't seem to be much correlation with how much I drink - I don't overload on liquids and just drink to thirst for the most part. I seem to remember as a teenager, most nights I'd sleep fine and never wake up until morning, but on the occasion that I did, I'd fall back asleep fine. And that's almost the same now when I work from home. So why can I not do this on any days when I have some kind of responsibility to leave the house? There's nothing particularly stressful about my work either, it's relatively stress-free most of the time, so I don't know why it would disrupt my sleep. Just can't handle running around like a zombie anymore.

P.S. I feel like at least part of the issue is that I go to bed with this forced notion of 'I have to wake up at XYZ time, so I have to go to bed now to get enough sleep' whereas when I work from home I can wake up later due to no travel and I never stay in bed past 8 anyway so I know I can't be late, and I guess this lack of pressure and rigidness then enables me to sleep soundly? I don't know.

Last edited:

Maljam

Have you tried eating more fat or more calories in general? The waking up and feeling buzzing for me was mainly related to these two factors, the sudden drop in blood sugar from sleeping was slowed by fat and allowed me to sleep through the night. If I am under calories as well I will wake up. I also found replacing some sugar in my diet with starch helps this too.

HumanLife

That sounds awful, I’m sorry to hear about what you’re going through! How is your sodium intake? Ray Peat has mentioned that sodium can help with sleep against waking up to urinate. You can watch this interview regarding sleep to help alleviate your issue a bit:

Vileplume

Calories are my #1 consideration. Try eating double portions for a day and see what that does for your sleep.

Where do you get most of your calories from? I want to use OJ and milk but my metabolism ain’t there yet

David90

• Shutting Down Electronic Devices 30 Min-2 Hours Before Bed
  • DON‘t Drink too much Liquids 3 Hours before Bed (except for the Gelatin Drink)
  • 2 Kiwifruits before Bed
  • Gelatin Bed Time Drink: 20g Gelatin, 30-35g Honey, 100-150ml Milk and 2 Grams of Salt(Drinking half an Hour before Bedtime)

HLP

I've been dabbling with Stearic Acid recently and interestingly two individuals who I'd given some SA to add to their food, actually slept 8 hours without waking. Both of these people had been struggling for many years with insomnia. I'd guess they consumed about 10 grams in their evening meal and then slept thru the night. I just had them add SA to some cooked ground beef. Might be worth a try if you're not sleeping well.

baccheion

Sustained-release melatonin before bed. REMfresh, though I've never tried it.

There's also tart cherry juice (, honey + salt, salt + sugar, etc) if waking up after 3-4 hours. Drink right away and then rinse mouth. Ensure you remain in total darkness during that time (or at least block out the relevant wavelengths). Should get back to sleep in 1-2 hours, sleeping another 3-4 hours. Add the extra time to the sleep window. May be an even better sleep cycle (biphasic), said to mirror the pattern from days before artificial light.

JacquelineNZ

Has anyone on here suffered insomnia so bad that you are awake all night every l2nd night? I had it bad months ago then it got to only be once a week and then when I started moreray Peat style I got to 12 good nights sleep before a sleepless one but its recently hit an extreme and its back to every 2nd night.
Ive teied many things and just cant go to sleep.
Ive just started progesterone today and the difference in my energy during day is amazing, was hoping it would knock me out at night. Im having severe endo toxin situation I think, for a long while Ive had low thyroid after carnivote and lost weight and no hunger and then sleep issues. Im tested low sodium, low iron low potassium and fairly low mag but high calcium in tissues but not in cells. So dont absorb much. Im going for mote blood tests tomorrow to see if any other issues are going on like colon cancer or something extteme because Im having so much ttouble.

GreekDemiGod

Why do I think? Because it's almost exclusively an issue when I have to go to work. Over the weekends, I sleep reasonably good. When I work from home and can wake up at like 7:30 AM, I sleep fine. But when I have to get up at 5:30 AM knowing I have to catch a train or drive 38 miles to the office and spend all day among people, for some reason, I can't sleep properly.
The key is in this sentence. You are dreading going to work, it repulses you on a biological level.

Quelsatron

Last night I ate chocolate pastries (butter, sugar, cacao and oats) and cheese before bed (and light fish soup for early dinner) and literally jumped out of bed in the morning. I've started taking taurine as well, but this night I ate burgers in the evening and I slept much worse while also being really thirsty, so it's not all the taurine. I think consuming excess protein late at night is really bad, but fat and sugar is good. I'll eat the rest of the pastries tonight and see what happens.

And I know cortisol gets a bad rap, but I think it's essential for getting up out of bed in the morning. I suspect chronic cortisol exposure makes you less sensitive to the regulated peaks that are natural.

OP
MyUsernameHere
So, the same thing happened now. Weekend - slept fine, last night, woke up at 4 AM again (even though I tried salt, milk and honey before bed and ate more than usual).

However when I woke up at 4 AM this morning I went downstairs, took some more milk, salt and honey, and I also turned on my bedroom light (it's a warm LED) so that it's not pitch black... and I was able to fall asleep again, amazingly enough. When I wake up like that I feel like my cortisol is really high and my mind is overactive - is it possible that the bedroom light had enough red in it to lower my cortisol and send me back to sleep? I get the feeling it was more effective than the things I took orally.

YourUniverse

Low blood sugar will definitely wake me up. Eating enough to cover the sources and extent of the blood sugar draws, like stress, exercise, fasting is important for me

Rasaari

Stress can increase metabolism temporarily. Try taking tbsp of coconut oil additionally to sugar, salt and also add magnesium. OJ and milk have a lot of liquid but no sodium, sodium deficiency also causes magnesium deficiency. Some tissues like to burn fat as fuel, for example muscles at rest. If you don't eat fat, the body is going to use stress to liberate fat stores. Its better to take CO and have some saturated fats in blood than to liberate PUFA. Also the CO will provide extra calories. Do you take b-vitamins close to bed?

golder

Stress can increase metabolism temporarily. Try taking tbsp of coconut oil additionally to sugar, salt and also add magnesium. OJ and milk have a lot of liquid but no sodium, sodium deficiency also causes magnesium deficiency. Some tissues like to burn fat as fuel, for example muscles at rest. If you don't eat fat, the body is going to use stress to liberate fat stores. Its better to take CO and have some saturated fats in blood than to liberate PUFA. Also the CO will provide extra calories. Do you take b-vitamins close to bed?
Interesting thanks. Would you recommend avoiding the b vitamins before bed and sticking to taking them in the day? Much appreciated.

@Rasaari Thanks for this, and welcome to the forum :D
Going to try this and report back, also see 7 Reasons To Consume Coconut Oil Before Bed.

Vileplume

I’ve recently noticed that my deep sleep increases a lot with a warm, salty vegetable broth before bed. Probably because it addresses nutrient deficiencies I had previously. Since adding in the broth two days ago, my deep sleep has gone up like 50% according to my Apple Watch.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals