Low cortisol = difficulty getting out of bed in the morning?

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

+1 to thyroid. I used to wake up then lay in bed for a while, filled with anxiety about going to the kitchen and talking to my roommates. I had this anxiety every day, even worse on workdays. The morning anxiety has not returned once since I started taking thyroid.
Thanks for the input! Ended up ordering desiccated thyroid and it should be here soon.

My wakefulness problem is caused by something different than yours was - it's more of a complete lack of anxiety/urgency/drive - but hopefully the thyroid will help either way!

Vileplume

I think thyroid has the potential to bring equilibrium to problems on both sides of an issue. It can calm someone with excessive anxiety, and energize someone who lacks energy or a dopamine kick.

I’d excited to hear about how you do with it.

Eberhardt

Just to check for the simplest...it's not just that you have been running for too long on adrenaline and the body needs rest?? It can take months or even a year or more before the body is satisfied with resting. SO you dont end up fixing something thats not broken but actually is your body telling you it. I've had periods like this, and the only real fix is listening to the body. (if that is whats going on

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

Quick update:

Been on thyroid for ~4 days now. It seems to give me an energy rush, followed by a crash within a few hours of using...interesting.

During the energy rush part I feel so alive: creative, intelligent, dynamic, unafraid. But because of the crash it seems like my 'net energy' each day is about the same. Kind of feel like a candle that burned out too quick or something.

Has it helped with waking up? Not really sure yet. I've managed to wake up around 7 or 8 the past few days, so there might be some improvement!

PurpleHeart

I think from personal experience that when you are running on stress hormones for a long time, if you suddenly stop the supply of stress hormones you feel terrible, even depressed, it takes at least one full day for your body to get used to calm mode again.

redsun

Hi all!

Since discovering Peaty principles and taking preg/prog/DHEA (via StressNon and CortiNon) I am healthier & happier than I've ever been.

But I'm wondering if I've driven my cortisol levels too low or something. I've been sleeping 9-10+ hours a night, and when I wake up, there's absolutely NO urgency to actually get out of bed or do anything.

It used to be that I'd wake up, feel a little anxious, breath a little faster than normal, and just get up and start scurrying around. It felt like a circadian type of stress response?

Nowadays I just lay in bed until 9 or 10 and feel so content and calm that I don't want to get up lol.

Is this a good thing? It's definitely not very convenient, as I'd really like to rise with the sun.

How can one get motivated & MOVING in the morning without triggering stress hormones?

Its a good idea to examine your diet and see if you are getting all micronutrients. Even if you are, maybe you need some more B-vitamins (B-complex) to see if it improves because your past diet/lifestyle could have led you with poor status of micronutrients. They are necessary for steroid hormone synthesis and neurotransmitters involved in motivating you to start the day. So you could be low on these. And since it sounds like you don't have an energy problem, but specifically lack of urgency/motivation I would say that's likely what is going on. Maybe GABA is too high and you need to lower it.

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

Its a good idea to examine your diet and see if you are getting all micronutrients. Even if you are, maybe you need some more B-vitamins (B-complex) to see if it improves because your past diet/lifestyle could have led you with poor status of micronutrients. They are necessary for steroid hormone synthesis and neurotransmitters involved in motivating you to start the day. So you could be low on these. And since it sounds like you don't have an energy problem, but specifically lack of urgency/motivation I would say that's likely what is going on. Maybe GABA is too high and you need to lower it.
Thanks for the info! Yeah, I haven't been eating as much beef liver recently...tho my diet has been pretty micronutrient-dense for a few years now. Will add more liver & oysters back in and see if that helps.

Regarding GABA being too high, wow that could be it! Just read this article by Hans and I do have some of the symptoms - despite taking caffeine, aspirin, and preg/DHEA, which the article says can all lower it. Huh.

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

I think from personal experience that when you are running on stress hormones for a long time, if you suddenly stop the supply of stress hormones you feel terrible, even depressed, it takes at least one full day for your body to get used to calm mode again.
Definitely agree with you there! Was running on stress hormones for years...many times I would only feel good if undereating.

Nowadays I feel healthy and happy most of the time, but maybe my body is still recovering from the energy deficit I put it thru.

Vajra

Are you guys itt taking thyroid at night to help with this? And which would be preferable, NDT or T3?
Because I've recently started experiencing the same thing. I used to jolt out of bed every morning with cortisol off the chain, but pretty much after 1 week of peating, my sleep became very deep and like OP have no problems sleeping 9-10 hours each day. Around that time, started taking 1/2 grain of NDT each morning for a month or so. Going to 1 grain.

Andman

could be the preg/prog/dhea too
have you tried taking a break from them for a few days?

I think it has something to do with blood sugar and FFA during the night. When Glycogen stores run out I become grumpy kind of and could sleep through

The blue light of dawn should already wake you

Sefton10

Quick update:

Been on thyroid for ~4 days now. It seems to give me an energy rush, followed by a crash within a few hours of using...interesting.

During the energy rush part I feel so alive: creative, intelligent, dynamic, unafraid. But because of the crash it seems like my 'net energy' each day is about the same. Kind of feel like a candle that burned out too quick or something.

Has it helped with waking up? Not really sure yet. I've managed to wake up around 7 or 8 the past few days, so there might be some improvement!
Interesting how noticeable the effect is for you. I tried the same LGS thyroid last year and didn’t notice anything from it at all, even up to 3 scoops a day. I’ve got some pure T3 on order with a view to perhaps trying it in winter. Don’t feel the need at the minute as it’s summer and been feeling good with lots of sun.

mgrabs

Quick update:

Did this ever level out for you? Staying consistent with the thyroid until your days were more balanced & leveled out?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals