ttramone sleep log

Blossom

Forum Supporter
The candy recipe is still in development but this is what I had thrown together before aquaman's post: 1 tablespoon butter, 2 tablespoons honey and 1 teaspoon sugar. I melted it all together and let it cool in the refrigerator. Before bed I had a spoon full of this with about 3 ounces of milk. When I woke up to go to the restroom I initially thought it hadn't worked but then I noticed it had been 8 hours since I had gone to bed! :D
I'm going to continue working on the recipe to see what I can come up with. Two thoughts I had, inspired by aquaman are 1. Adding cocoa powder(may keep some awake)
2. Adding a scoop of the unflavored BCAA powder. The quest continues but so far so good.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Yeh if you could somehow get some protein in there, not sure if theres a way to get some gelatin in it.

Stilgar

thebigpeatowski said:
What about exercise? I don't currently exercise, but I'm getting the "itch" to do so. I have heard that it can help with sleep, if done properly and not in excess.

I worked in the yard yesterday, it felt good to move around..... but it was also a painful reminder of how out of shape I am.

I remember someone posting about the importance of doing different things and achieving stimulation akin to exercise by different environments, new activities and so on (in the post I think it was about keeping temps up), which needn't be too physically demanding, or may even be - it doesn't matter. New-ness and lack of repetition.
Could be worth thinking about, before the urge to launch back into 'regular exercise' takes hold!

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Charlie said:
Yeh if you could somehow get some protein in there, not sure if theres a way to get some gelatin in it.
I think I will try that Charlie. My recent batch of gummy candy with gelatin and cherry and grape juices turn out great, in fact I'm having some now! :cool:

OP
juanitacarlos

juanitacarlos

Blossom said:
The candy recipe is still in development but this is what I had thrown together before aquaman's post: 1 tablespoon butter, 2 tablespoons honey and 1 teaspoon sugar. I melted it all together and let it cool in the refrigerator. Before bed I had a spoon full of this with about 3 ounces of milk. When I woke up to go to the restroom I initially thought it hadn't worked but then I noticed it had been 8 hours since I had gone to bed! :D
I'm going to continue working on the recipe to see what I can come up with. Two thoughts I had, inspired by aquaman are 1. Adding cocoa powder(may keep some awake)
2. Adding a scoop of the unflavored BCAA powder. The quest continues but so far so good.

This sounds fantastic Blossom. Tomorrow I am going to make up a batch of these goodies and see how I go. I think the less liquid I have before bed, the better.

It's about 9pm right now and I am so tired because I spent the afternoon looking after 3 kids and was running around like a maniac. And I am totally the Queen of Tag (beating 2 three-year olds and a five-year old!).

I've decided after reading haidut's post today on B3 possibly helping retain muscle glycogen (could help with liver glycogen?), to change the taurine over to niacinamide. I just took 1950mg of B3 and am getting very drowsy. Not surprisingly.

I also changed the OJ to milk a few nights ago, as I noticed some staining on my teeth.

Thanks all for adding to the discussion - it's been super helpful!

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Blossom said:
Charlie said:
I think I will try that Charlie. My recent batch of gummy candy with gelatin and cherry and grape juices turn out great, in fact I'm having some now! :cool:
I've been thinking about this candy creation and I'm going to try for honey-butter gummies next. I figured I could get the gelatin and honey melted to a smooth consistency and add the butter last so it was not exposed to the heat for so long. Once I get this prepared and try it out I will post the recipe if it is good.
I liked the recipe aquaman posted with the oats that you bake so I might try making something similar just with very well cooked oats rather than raw oats. Those seem like a pretty good special occasion treat that would work on a Peat inspired approach for people who are able/do fine with starch.

OP
juanitacarlos

juanitacarlos

I can report that taking nearly 2g of niacinamide before bed didn't work lol. I had a lot of trouble getting to sleep and had a headache - I also woke up at 5:30 am (gross!) and still had a headache. I might try a taurine and small dose of B3 tonight. Haidut posted this in another topic:

Higher metabolism can certainly burn more quickly through your glycogen stores and if your blood sugar drops then you geta headache. High doses of niacinamide are known to cause low blood sugar and headache.

So that would probably explain the headache.

Blossom - let us know when you have refined and tested your recipe. I think oats might be a good option before bed as they are one food that keeps me full and satiated for hours.

Peata

Can you take Benadryl at night? I usually take one tablet, sometimes 1.5. I save 2 for when I really need to fall asleep soon and sleep hard. I alternate the dose every night so I don't get used to it.

I used to be uncomfortable in my bed until I got softer sheets, pillowcase and blanket, and started using various throw pillows around me. I put one under my knees, to the sides to rest my arms, etc. I feel much better, like I'm in a cocoon and I like my bed now.

OP
juanitacarlos

juanitacarlos

Actually Peata - I forgot about Benadryl - thanks. I might add that to the mix.

I agree that being as comfortable as possible is essential for good sleep. Getting the temperature right is really important too.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I had the honey/butter mix again last night with about a half cup of milk and it worked like a charm. I'm going to work on a recipe incorporating gelatin this weekend. Happy sleeping!

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Oh man honey and butter. I am on it!!!! :woo

OP
juanitacarlos

juanitacarlos

Update: last night I went out for dinner and ate a massive plate of rice and chicken with a glass of OJ. I slept like a log for 9 hours - not waking up once. This morning I feel pretty good in terms of grogginess/tiredness, but I have a massive headache.

I still have yet to do the honey/butter mix but will be trying that soon.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
ttramone said:
Update: last night I went out for dinner and ate a massive plate of rice and chicken with a glass of OJ. I slept like a log for 9 hours - not waking up once. This morning I feel pretty good in terms of grogginess/tiredness, but I have a massive headache.

I still have yet to do the honey/butter mix but will be trying that soon.
Glad to hear you slept well but in sorry to hear about the headache. I didn't get a chance to work on the candy recipe yet so I've just been having the honey and butter combo with about a 1/2 glass of milk for now. I was surprised when I went out to eat for a family birthday celebration to find out EVERY menu item contained SOY! :eek I only know because I asked for a gluten free menu and they brought me an allergen menu. This was at a mid price range steak house so I was pretty surprised, guess I shouldn't have been. I'm just wondering if you have a headache from something in the food? I hope you feel better soon.

OP
juanitacarlos

juanitacarlos

Blossom - I definitely think I got the headache because of the food I ate - I could taste some dodgy oil - maybe sesame - god knows. It was a restaurant so I'm sure it was rancid :sick:

Blossom

Forum Supporter
ttramone said:
Blossom - I definitely think I got the headache because of the food I ate - I could taste some dodgy oil - maybe sesame - god knows. It was a restaurant so I'm sure it was rancid :sick:
I hope you're feeling better! Eating away from home can be a challenge that's for sure. I'm going to work on the candy recipe today since I have some extra time and I will give an update on how it goes! :D

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Hey, I just wanted to update you that it's back to the drawing board with the honey, butter, gelatin candy recipe inspired by paperclips. I ended up with a sticky glob where the gelatin all stuck together. I think if I can mix the honey with water to thin it and then heat it just right I might be able to make it work. I didn't get to the point of adding the butter. For now I'm back to having the honey and butter premixed in a glass bowl in the fridge. Last night I had the o.j. at bedside like you do and it came in handy! I woke up about 4 which is unusual for me but I don't think my bedtime snack was adequate. I was able to go back to sleep for a couple hours with just a few sips of the juice! Hope your sleeping is going well!

OP
juanitacarlos

juanitacarlos

Blossom - I'm sitting back here waiting for you to perfect the recipe so I can make it! Glad the juice helped. I'm thinking of starting a new thread on liver glycogen - what are some of the causes of low storage, and what we can do about it. I'm sure there has been some other threads about this so I might try and collate and add some quotes from Peat's articles.

I was so sick yesterday - vomited for about 12 hours straight. So I slept well last night from pure exhaustion!

Tonight I will get back in to the routine. I did add some cheese with the OJ a few nights back and that really helped. I just wish OJ didn't stain my teeth as I prefer it to milk.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals