Surviving The Night With Good Blood Sugar

OP
Cirion

Cirion

BTW today I woke up at 98.5F but felt sleepy waking up though overall my energy is better today. I don't understand. THe only thing I can figure is my calories have still been too low like a previous poster suggested.

Yesterday I had 6,000 calories, 250g protein and 1,100 grams carbs 87g fat, only 3.5g of which was PUFA. I tend to need 5,000 calories on weekends which are 100% sedentary, so I guess it makes sense on weekdays where I actually move a little I might need more.

so that was 70% carb 15% protein 15% fat

GreekDemiGod

@Cirion I'd drop ALL supplements and start doing Keto + Intermittent Fasting if I were you. It will fix your blood sugar issue. Seriously. Heck, I'do multiple 7 day fasts. Or fast indefinitely until you get to 10 - 14 % bodyfat.
Optimising health begins when you're lean. It does not begin with getting overweight.

have gained EIGHTY (yes 80) pounds the second go around on a RP inspired diet in just a 4 month span
I don't care what anyone says, you are doing something wrong if this happens to you. No 'healing metabolism' excuse, no nothing. If you gain 80 lbs, you are doing something very wrong or very stupid.

Does the whole 'eat more to heal metabolism' mantra even have a scientific basis?

GelatinGoblin

Try waking up at your coolest :cool:.
4 AM is when your body temperature is at it's lowest naturally and when indigenous tribes usually wake up even when going to sleep at 12 PM (which they do usually/. Read up on traditional sleeping patterns.

SQu

Groggy mornings: on a recent Danny Roddy podcast, could have been number 32, not sure, Peat spoke about coffee when you wake up to lower the cortisol which is highest around that time. I've been waking up groggy for so long, good mornings have been rare. I have blood sugar issues, gained weight, lost a good bit, sleep badly, in a nutshell. So I have been trying a tweak on the morning coffee thing (I've never been able to drink more than a cup a day until recently). I'm not sure about your tolerance for coffee, but for what it's worth I am keeping a flask of well sugared coffee on hand for night time wakeups and I have some every time I wake and especially if I think it might be 5am or later (without wanting to check the time and wake up even more in the process). Especially if I feel like I'm heating up for no good reason, which would be cortisol I think, but as it's winter it's quite subtle. It's a bit out there as an insomnia experiment but I thought why not. I think that podcast was last weekend, I've been doing it since then, and I'm waking up not groggy at all. In summer I will make it iced coffee. Might be worth a try.

Matt C

I sometimes wake in the middle of the night and almost sleep walk to the fridge to eat something. i always crave something sweet and it's like i absolutely need it to get back to sleep. I can't stand it.

I also have intense sugar cravings after an afternoon nap. Is this indicative of something?

relating it to the original post. I also wake up with low temps and i struggle to get to the optimal 37 degrees which usually happens late afternoon pretty much never in the morning even after eating.

My thyroid hormones come back normal but i've had Rt3 tests come back very high and my LDL cholesterol has also been high in the past so something isn't converting properly in my body. FYI i take T3 (cynomel) daily but can't say i feel any difference taking it.

GreekDemiGod

Groggy mornings: on a recent Danny Roddy podcast, could have been number 32, not sure, Peat spoke about coffee when you wake up to lower the cortisol which is highest around that time. I've been waking up groggy for so long, good mornings have been rare. I have blood sugar issues, gained weight, lost a good bit, sleep badly, in a nutshell. So I have been trying a tweak on the morning coffee thing (I've never been able to drink more than a cup a day until recently). I'm not sure about your tolerance for coffee, but for what it's worth I am keeping a flask of well sugared coffee on hand for night time wakeups and I have some every time I wake and especially if I think it might be 5am or later (without wanting to check the time and wake up even more in the process). Especially if I feel like I'm heating up for no good reason, which would be cortisol I think, but as it's winter it's quite subtle. It's a bit out there as an insomnia experiment but I thought why not. I think that podcast was last weekend, I've been doing it since then, and I'm waking up not groggy at all. In summer I will make it iced coffee. Might be worth a try.
I am a bit confused. I thought coffee raises cortisol when you’re low on glycogen.

SQu

I am a bit confused. I thought coffee raises cortisol when you’re low on glycogen.
I was having the coffee with a lot of sugar and milk, and because I was waking a few times a night, during the first few times I was having sugar in some form, all to try and not raise cortisol. That experiment was over a year ago, I'm not doing coffee at 5am anymore, it didn't carry on doing much and it goes sour in the flask . My sleep has improved since, and my waking is less groggy, and I think the reason is blood sugar, for which I find potassium in fruit juice seems to be the magic ingredient. While I was living on mostly fruit juice(2litres+), fat free milk and not too much else my sleep improved a lot. I now take niacinamide, aspirin, and progesterone in the early hours and I think that helps too.

AinmAnseo

Forum Supporter
Well, your blood sugar is not going to ZERO. Otherwise, you would be dead.

Have you read Peat and Broda Barnes? Most of the time, 97.8 waking temperature or higher is considered really good. It usually takes movement or eating something to warm up. Waking temp near 99 is usually thought to be running on adenaline.

IBT can keep your waking temps closer to that 98.6 ideal, as it prevents the nighttime drop in temperature that "normally" happens at 2-3am.

You also say you tried everything, but you didn't list the number one thing Ray Peat recommends in regards to metabolism- thyroid hormone.

Lastly, if you think that blood sugar regulation is an issue, I think a full iron panel (with ferritin) can be really useful. I noticed a dramatic improvement in bloth blood sugar control and energy when getting de-ironed, and this is in line with studies that have looked into this.
Tankas,
Does "de-ironed" here mean donating blood to lower ferritin to about 60?

David PS

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals