Getting Up In The Morning And Glycine

Shai Hulud

Hi,

I'm having trouble getting up in the morning; The alarm wakes me up, but I will easily go back to sleep without much control over it. I'm using a wake-up-light plus my phone; It's been like this almost my whole life.
I'm using glycine sources, which (after some intial problems in the past) make me feel better. I can tolerate powder, mag glycinate and collagen, but usually I only take collagen.
However, too much glycine make getting up almost impossible. I've stopped taking it before bed, but even taken in meals in the late afternoon will knock me out in the morning. Too much is below 10 g over the day (I've tracked it as exact as aposible on cronometer).
I've thought about possible causes and came up with this:
a) Cortisol doesn't rise enough
b) it's related to glycine's role in methylation
c) it's related to it's role as an inhibitory neurotransmitter
a) and c) could be the same thing, I guess.

Any ideas what could be done about it (except taking even less glycine)?

Thanks.

OP
S

Shai Hulud

It reduces cortisol. I'd test taking the glycine and going to sleep earlier, you might just need more sleep for a while.
I had a DUTCH test done about 18 months ago. It showed a pretty much ok adrenal pattern, except for cortisol going very low (lowe rthan normal) in the night.
I've gotten better in the meantime, but my problems with getting up are essentially the same.
I've thought about your advice. I've tried taking the glycine for quite some time now, but it could really be my body still adapting to it (and maybe doing long needed repairs in the night). However, going to bed earlier would rob me of much needed time in the evening. I have CFS, but can't allow myself to work less, so this would reduce my amount of time for other things. Usually I go to bed between 11 and 12.
I think I will try to do it for a week and see f it gets better.

Do you think creatine in the morning could be helpful? Not taking any right now.

Hugh Johnson

I had a DUTCH test done about 18 months ago. It showed a pretty much ok adrenal pattern, except for cortisol going very low (lowe rthan normal) in the night.
I've gotten better in the meantime, but my problems with getting up are essentially the same.
I've thought about your advice. I've tried taking the glycine for quite some time now, but it could really be my body still adapting to it (and maybe doing long needed repairs in the night). However, going to bed earlier would rob me of much needed time in the evening. I have CFS, but can't allow myself to work less, so this would reduce my amount of time for other things. Usually I go to bed between 11 and 12.
I think I will try to do it for a week and see f it gets better.

Do you think creatine in the morning could be helpful? Not taking any right now.
Glycine does not work for everyone. Nathan Hatch does not like large amounts of glycine, but loves taurine. Try sleeping more, but glycine might not be for you. If it's not forget it for a year and test again to see if anything has changed.

I find good success with a few tablespoons of collagen, once or twice a day. No problem waking up.

fradon

Hi,

I'm having trouble getting up in the morning; The alarm wakes me up, but I will easily go back to sleep without much control over it. I'm using a wake-up-light plus my phone; It's been like this almost my whole life.
I'm using glycine sources, which (after some intial problems in the past) make me feel better. I can tolerate powder, mag glycinate and collagen, but usually I only take collagen.
However, too much glycine make getting up almost impossible. I've stopped taking it before bed, but even taken in meals in the late afternoon will knock me out in the morning. Too much is below 10 g over the day (I've tracked it as exact as aposible on cronometer).
I've thought about possible causes and came up with this:
a) Cortisol doesn't rise enough
b) it's related to glycine's role in methylation
c) it's related to it's role as an inhibitory neurotransmitter
a) and c) could be the same thing, I guess.

Any ideas what could be done about it (except taking even less glycine)?

Thanks.

glycine antagonizes glutamate i think. glutamate is excitory so it could be that factor. you could bypass this by creating a stress response like ICE COLD SHOWER. this will kick your adrenals out of slumber bign time.

OP
S

Shai Hulud

Lack of electrolytes?
Maybe, though I'm taking care of getting all I need. Maybe my need is even higher: Anything specific in mind?

I find good success with a few tablespoons of collagen, once or twice a day. No problem waking up.
That's what I do.

It could be glycine, but I think it's more likely that something else is missing or causing problems.
What do you think could be missing?

glycine antagonizes glutamate i think. glutamate is excitory so it could be that factor. you could bypass this by creating a stress response like ICE COLD SHOWER. this will kick your adrenals out of slumber bign time.
I have thought about glutamate, but I also tend to have anger isues, especially and reproducible form taking B5. I have recently learned that Acetyl-Coa and oxaloacetate (derived from glucose) form AKG and then glutamate in the brain and this could explain the phases of rage I experience when taking B5. Not sure how to balance glutatamate and glycine over the whole day. Interestingly, I recently had self-made bone broth (was really gelatinous when cold), which didn't knock me out the next day, even though I ate it in the evening. Besides, I think Methyl-B123 injections seem to help a little bit with the morning grogginess.
I don't really wake up far enough to act, so I can't go to shower...