Chin Strap As An Alternative To Taping Your Mouth Shut At Night

barefooter

There's been some discussions in the past about taping the mouth shut at night to prevent mouth breathing while sleeping. I've had mixed results with taping my mouth shut, as it seems to cause me a certain amount of anxiety, and I suspect there is potential for a similar reaction in others who have a history of breathing and sleep problems.

I've recently been using a chin strap to keep my mouth closed at night, and I'm finding it works very well for me, and causes me no anxiety. This may be a good option for anyone else that wants to keep the mouth shut but finds that taping doesn't work. Besides preventing the anxiety of a taped mouth, I also like that I don't smell the glue from the tape, and that I can easily take a drink or have a snack if I wake in the night, and also there is no garbage each morning.

tara

I've recently been using a chin strap to keep my mouth closed at night, and I'm finding it works very well for me, and causes me no anxiety.
Nice.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Which chin strap are you using?

OP
B

barefooter

Which chin strap are you using?

I'm using this one

I don't remember why I got that one, as there seem to be several that are cheaper and have better reviews. It seems to work well enough, but after wearing it for a while, it seems to be getting looser, and I'm wondering if it's going to stretch out to the point of no longer working.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Well it looks comfortable. :)

Birdie

My sister wears one of those. At least she did a couple of years ago. Her problem with the one she used was that it dug into her face and left ridges that took a couple of hours to disappear.

I just use the tape vertically over toward the side of my mouth sort of. Then it doesn't cause me anxiety. But everyone's different.

There is no smell from adhesive with the tape I use, by the way. It's cloth tape from Walmart.

But sounds like the strap works better for you. Avoiding anxiety is important isn't it!!

keith

I have sleep apnea. I couldn't do the CPAP (probably for the best, knowing what I know now), and had the surgery, which improved, but did not solve the problem. Off topic, I may try acetazolamide, but have been trying to use thiamine and biotin for the same purpose, with some success.

Anyway, back to the subject at hand, I use a device called a tongue stabilization device. The brand I use is AveoTSD, but there are others. It is definitely less comfortable and more expensive than a chin strap, but accomplishes the same thing (nose breathing while sleeping), with the added benefit of opening the airway (it pulls the tongue forward). Might be a good option for those who don't feel like they are getting enough air breathing through their noses while sleeping.

Just wanted to mention it in case anyone finds it helpful.

tara

Might be a good option for those who don't feel like they are getting enough air breathing through their noses while sleeping.
Good to stop the sleep apnea, and no doubt it's good to get the tongue out of the way of the nasal airway.
In the absence of sleep apnoea, I think the benefit of a chin strap o tape for most people is by reducing hyperventilation - ie helping us to breath less, not more. Hyperventilating can feel like not getting enough air through the nose. Limiting hyperventilation can help open the nasal passages, too.

keith

Good to stop the sleep apnea, and no doubt it's good to get the tongue out of the way of the nasal airway.
In the absence of sleep apnoea, I think the benefit of a chin strap o tape for most people is by reducing hyperventilation - ie helping us to breath less, not more. Hyperventilating can feel like not getting enough air through the nose. Limiting hyperventilation can help open the nasal passages, too.

I agree with everyhing you wrote, but just note that the airflow is still significantly reduced in comparison with mouth breathing, so may be of benefit to some. It is definitely not for everyone. I just wanted to mention it for anyone reading this for whom the tape or chin strap isn't working. I agree that tape or chin straps should be tried first, and will probably work better, cost less, and be more comfortable for most people.

Birdie

Further consideration: I'm not using the Walmart tape anymore. And I remember it stuck on too strongly to my lips.
I found some old cloth J&J tape leftover from sports injury taping and that's what I've been using for a few months now.
So, when I run out of this will have to find some that doesn't smell and comes off easily.

I think the chin straps should come is bright colors or splatter type prints if they don't.
Would be even cuter, barefooter.

tara

... but just note that the airflow is still significantly reduced in comparison with mouth breathing ...
Yes, this is the point and benefit of doing it - to reduce the airflow significantly.
But I take your point about some people having non-standard obstructions etc that might benefit from a different approach.

tara

InChristAlone

I use the soft athletic tape, then the glue isn't an issue but it stay on all night.

tara

What benefits do you notice from preventing mouth breathing?
Calmer.
Nose now seldom blocked.
Faster recovery from colds etc.
No dry mouth on waking.
Seldom wake in a hot sweat or with pounding heart anymore (other factors probably also helped).
Easier to get to sleep (other factors may also have helped).

FredSonoma

Calmer.
Nose now seldom blocked.
Faster recovery from colds etc.
No dry mouth on waking.
Seldom wake in a hot sweat or with pounding heart anymore (other factors probably also helped).
Easier to get to sleep (other factors may also have helped).
Holy crap!! Sounds awesome I need to try.

bohogirl

I am transitioning from mouth breathing to nose breathing.

What would you say is the best sleeping position? It seems when I lie on my back my airway is obstructed. Do I need more pillows? No pillow? Side better?

I am transitioning from mouth breathing to nose breathing.

What would you say is the best sleeping position? It seems when I lie on my back my airway is obstructed. Do I need more pillows? No pillow? Side better?

If on your back, close to sitting up. Best.

Second best is lying down on your left side.

Third best stomach or right side.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals