Big Muscles Little Fat - Lose Fat The Ray Peat Way!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
So don't have two fats in one meal? I saw some of your recipe's had 2 fats such as beef & cheese stuffed peppers, steak with garlic butter, wings with alfredo sauce. Do you not recommend that anymore?

And it's ok to have Mexican coke on it's own? I thought you should always pair sugar with protein, or bad things happen.
To your first point Steve, I don't recommend having two fats in the same meal WHEN YOU ARE WANTING TO LOSE WEIGHT. If a wonderful opportunity came yours or my way with those wings and stuffed peppers presented themselves like wonderful gifts from above, the strategy wouldn't be to pass them up, like other restrictive diets would tell you to do. Sooth your soul and switch into portion control mode. That would mean if I wanted a 1/3 pound lettuce wrapped burger WITH cheese and I am trying to LOSE weight than I would eat half of it. If i wanted a BLT, heaven forbid, I would make it open faced. Otherwise when considering only yourself and preparing something for YOUR weight loss goal, it is a good strategy to have one fat source and one sugar source when losing weight, keeping it simple for your body.

To your Coke point, being hungy and having Coke without a protein is a blood sugar crash soon after. If I am going to be on the road, like yesterday for many hours, I eat my protein meal and sip on the Coke I would normally pair it with for many hours, like an IV drip, until the next meal. I'm not having a Coke with my meal and then having second one on the road, i am just extending the first one over a long period of time. Keep in mind I don't have health issues or blood sugar problems. I don't drink sugary drinks all day to give myself diabetes. A slow steady form of sugar keeps blood sugar stable like an IV, so blood sugar levels don't crash with angriness or headache hunger. That is why Ray Peat doesn't specify a diet, our, age, our gender, our weight and our health requires different and desires strategies. For me, sometimes I am trying to lose a few pounds and sometimes i am trying to gain a few pounds. I have 100+ Ray Peat recipes I rotate that are mostly designed to feed a family of 4, many with starches, many without starches, many high in fat and many low in fat, something for everyone! They are scattered throughout this forum to fulfill a variety of needs. I am just as much a "foodie" as I am a "Peater". I think constant denial of pleasures creates more problems, so live a little and care a lot! Please feel free to keep asking questions, you come up with good ones that everyone needs answers to :)

OP
Rinse & rePeat
To put a further "Peaty" perspective on my Mexican Coke IV strategy. Think of the rat study where both groups had the same diet of 2000 calories, but the second group "drank Coke freely", 8000 calories worth, and didn't gain weight. I am sure if had they continued that they would have ended up with diabetes and eventual death even, but I am strategizing one Coke :)

julia

Two years ago I wasn't tracking my macros and I still don't. I drive myself crazy and overeat doing that. I have no problem getting in a 75 grams of protein in before dinner with a half pound of shrimp, a boiled egg, and an iced coffee with 2 cups of skim milk. I didn't do all the milk and orange juice for that experiment, I just ate as if I were living off the land. The thing about interpreting Ray Peat and his recommendations are that he isn't exact as nd prioritizes best to least, and choosing the least seems to be a lot of people's first choice. Back then for my experiment and still now sugared fruit is best. If I have beef I choose Mexican Coke instead because of the iron. If I am on the road and long away from a meal I take a Mexican coke with me to sip on forvhours (like my little IV) and I am never hungry. Nowadays a spoonful of honey at bedtime gives me good sleep and I use a couple of teaspoons of sugar with my hot coffee, but I don't sugar all day. His sugar recommendation is just to prevent blood sugar imbalances. He DOESN'T prefer straight white sugar for no other reason except it has no nutrition. He says sugar does not make fat, and just the opposite, but it is devoid of nutients and fruit is better. He says to use it when good fruit isn't available, well for most it isn't available. Think to eat more like the low fat low carbers except you get to have sugar sources with every meal. Keep in mind the fats, don't pair two fats in a meal, like meat plus cheese that is too fatty, use cheese as a small meal with sugared fruit or honey. I keep saying sugared fruit because imperfect fruit is hight in histamines and histamines cause stress reactions which raise cortisol, so fruit can backfire, and sugar, as well as salt are natural anti-histamines l. I will start documenting the exactness of my days to post and give you something more to go by. In the meantime Nicole keep asking questions :)
Thank you!

YourUniverse

To put a further "Peaty" perspective on my Mexican Coke IV strategy. Think of the rat study where both groups had the same diet of 2000 calories, but the second group "drank Coke freely", 8000 calories worth, and didn't gain weight. I am sure if had they continued that they would have ended up with diabetes and eventual death even, but I am strategizing one Coke :)
When I reduce fats and drink coke freely, I gain weight quickly

julia

You can check out the study Haidut posted about coke and the metabolic rate:
But the experiment was done in mice,I don't think it will have the same effect in humans.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
When I reduce fats and drink coke freely, I gain weight quickly
I wouldn't drink Coke freely either, but my niece sure does and she looks like she is barely skin and bones. Must have something to do with the rat's diet, I would bet it was very lowfat. It would have to be to prove the point.

Doc Sandoz

If you haven't already, reduce PUFA to a minimum, of course. Cut out starch as far as possible - no bread, pasta or other flour products, etc. Make sure you get 100 g low fat protein per day. Fill out the balance up to about 1200-1500 total calories with sugars - fruit is the best. Walk a mile or two most days. Get some sun.

That'll do'er.

I should add - be sure at least half of your 100 g protein is not muscle meat (which contains a lot of problematic methionine, cysteine and tryptophan) but rather gelatin or milk products.

Last edited:
OP
Rinse & rePeat
Reduce PUFA to a minimum, of course. Cut out starch as far as possible - no bread, pasta or flour products, etc. Make sure you get 100 g low fat protein per day. Fill out the balance up to about 1200-1500 calories with sugars - fruit is the best. Walk a mile or two most days.

That'll do'er.
Sounds right to me! Don't forget liver ?

Steve

If you haven't already, reduce PUFA to a minimum, of course. Cut out starch as far as possible - no bread, pasta or other flour products, etc. Make sure you get 100 g low fat protein per day. Fill out the balance up to about 1200-1500 total calories with sugars - fruit is the best. Walk a mile or two most days. Get some sun.

That'll do'er.
That sounds about right......good simplification. Sounds easy! :)

OP
Rinse & rePeat
That sounds about right......good simplification. Sounds easy! :)
This dish I call "Power Curry" is perfect for muscle building low fat goals. I cook a half pound of shrimps in a cup of whole milk and a cup of coconut water, add in your curry, onions, brown sugar, fish sauce, cilantro and Voila! It takes me 15 minutes to make! If you aren't filling up on starches you can get a lot of protein in in a day!

Attachments

• 20201204_145807.jpg
    20201204_145807.jpg
    476.7 KB · Views: 41

Doc Sandoz

This dish I call "Power Curry" is perfect for muscle building low fat goals. I cook a half pound of shrimps in a cup of whole milk and a cup of coconut water, add in your curry, onions, brown sugar, fish sauce, cilantro and Voila! It takes me 15 minutes to make! If you aren't filling up on starches you can get a lot of protein in in a day!
Sounds excellent! Should add be sure at least half of your 100 g protein is not muscle meat (which contains a lot of problematic methionine, cysteine and tryptophan) but rather gelatin or milk products.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Sounds excellent! Should add be sure at least half of your 100 g protein is not muscle meat (which contains a lot of problematic methionine, cysteine and tryptophan) but rather gelatin or milk products.
So right Doc! I only eat seafood maybe two times a week and beef and liver maybe once a week each, and corn and soy free chicken twice a month, 3 days a week is usually no meat and heavier on dairy, homemade bone broth and eggs. I have a great variety in my diet.

David90

Two years ago I wasn't tracking my macros and I still don't. I drive myself crazy and overeat doing that. I have no problem getting in a 75 grams of protein in before dinner with a half pound of shrimp, a boiled egg, and an iced coffee with 2 cups of skim milk. I didn't do all the milk and orange juice for that experiment, I just ate as if I were living off the land. The thing about interpreting Ray Peat and his recommendations are that he isn't exact as nd prioritizes best to least, and choosing the least seems to be a lot of people's first choice. Back then for my experiment and still now sugared fruit is best. If I have beef I choose Mexican Coke instead because of the iron. If I am on the road and long away from a meal I take a Mexican coke with me to sip on forvhours (like my little IV) and I am never hungry. Nowadays a spoonful of honey at bedtime gives me good sleep and I use a couple of teaspoons of sugar with my hot coffee, but I don't sugar all day. His sugar recommendation is just to prevent blood sugar imbalances. He DOESN'T prefer straight white sugar for no other reason except it has no nutrition. He says sugar does not make fat, and just the opposite, but it is devoid of nutients and fruit is better. He says to use it when good fruit isn't available, well for most it isn't available. Think to eat more like the low fat low carbers except you get to have sugar sources with every meal. Keep in mind the fats, don't pair two fats in a meal, like meat plus cheese that is too fatty, use cheese as a small meal with sugared fruit or honey. I keep saying sugared fruit because imperfect fruit is hight in histamines and histamines cause stress reactions which raise cortisol, so fruit can backfire, and sugar, as well as salt are natural anti-histamines l. I will start documenting the exactness of my days to post and give you something more to go by. In the meantime Nicole keep asking questions :)
Fruit is mostly better then plain White Sugar. I Still use 2-3 Teaspoons for my Morning Coffee. But i mostly switched from Plain Sugar to Fruit's too. I also Think that Maple Syrup, Honey and / or Agave Syrup which has at least a tiny Amount of Nutrients in it. But the Idea with the Mexican Coke sounds nice. Except, in our Country it is not available. But sure, if good Fruit is not Available for some Reason (Food Shortages ect.) then White Sugar can be a good Choice. Although i would keep some Frozen Fruits in the Fridge as a back-up. But i'm on the same Page as Georgi Dinkov. Rather keeping Blood Sugar Stable is more Important then having Sub-Optimal Choices. So if i would get in a Food Shortages myself, i would also use White Sugar as a Back-Up, despite being Sub-Optimal. Besides that, i also have 5kg of Honey in the Kitchen Cupboard, so hopefully i'm not running out of it soon....:D

I wish I had a pic of my body composition for everytime I tried something new Dave90. I would look different in everyone. Grains leave me looking less defined in my face and all over. I don't know which of them I think is safer because they all have their different downsides, but I think a red potato makes the most logical choice for a starch splurge. It has a lot more to give then the grains.
True. I do Progress Pics every 3 Months or so to keep Body Composition in Check. Interesting part is, in the newer once's, Certain Bodyparts (like abs, shoulders, Upper Chest) are looking great. Also my Face looks (in side pictures) more chiseled and less bloated (if i compare to the ones from 2019 or further back). So going Lower in Fat , Low Starch, High Sugar ceratinly has done Something, i think. Might be a Mix of Improved Androgens, Less Stress Hormones and so forth. I also do smarter & shorter Workouts then before (Shoutout to @Hans for the Idea). Before i was Running 60 Minute Weightlifting Workouts (For a Total of Three Times per Week). I do nowadays mostly 30-45 Minute Workouts (Mostly 30 Minutes, with 2 of the 3 Workouts). I still do a 60 Minute Workout on Sunday (where i have the least Stress, my Third Workout in the Week) but i think i'm about to abandon it soon an put it down to 45 Minutes.

Sounds interesting with the Red Potato. When i get my Hands on them, i will give them a try. Over here, we have also the Purple Potatoes but i have yet to find the Red Potatoes.

Resistent starch Is the key

Galactose appears to be preferred for feeding OXPHOS. Personally I got the best results with fruit / honey / dairy for fat loss ... I didn't exactly count the calories so I don't know if I was in deficit and I could get the same with starch for the same calories ... I believe there is something unique about the fructose / glucose / milk sugar combination. Unfortunately it is not sustainable for everyone based on work, lifestyle, family ... it is very complicated unless you have nothing to do all day :) also after a week the craving for starch was skyrocketing ....

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Fruit is mostly better then plain White Sugar. I Still use 2-3 Teaspoons for my Morning Coffee. But i mostly switched from Plain Sugar to Fruit's too. I also Think that Maple Syrup, Honey and / or Agave Syrup which has at least a tiny Amount of Nutrients in it. But the Idea with the Mexican Coke sounds nice. Except, in our Country it is not available. But sure, if good Fruit is not Available for some Reason (Food Shortages ect.) then White Sugar can be a good Choice. Although i would keep some Frozen Fruits in the Fridge as a back-up. But i'm on the same Page as Georgi Dinkov. Rather keeping Blood Sugar Stable is more Important then having Sub-Optimal Choices. So if i would get in a Food Shortages myself, i would also use White Sugar as a Back-Up, despite being Sub-Optimal. Besides that, i also have 5kg of Honey in the Kitchen Cupboard, so hopefully i'm not running out of it soon....:D

True. I do Progress Pics every 3 Months or so to keep Body Composition in Check. Interesting part is, in the newer once's, Certain Bodyparts (like abs, shoulders, Upper Chest) are looking great. Also my Face looks (in side pictures) more chiseled and less bloated (if i compare to the ones from 2019 or further back). So going Lower in Fat , Low Starch, High Sugar ceratinly has done Something, i think. Might be a Mix of Improved Androgens, Less Stress Hormones and so forth. I also do smarter & shorter Workouts then before (Shoutout to @Hans for the Idea). Before i was Running 60 Minute Weightlifting Workouts (For a Total of Three Times per Week). I do nowadays mostly 30-45 Minute Workouts (Mostly 30 Minutes, with 2 of the 3 Workouts). I still do a 60 Minute Workout on Sunday (where i have the least Stress, my Third Workout in the Week) but i think i'm about to abandon it soon an put it down to 45 Minutes.

Sounds interesting with the Red Potato. When i get my Hands on them, i will give them a try. Over here, we have also the Purple Potatoes but i have yet to find the Red Potatoes.

Fruit is much more nutritious than white sugar. I stock pile lots of sugar, as well pasta and beans in my emergency supplies. I will be happy eating it all up too if fruit, sugar and honey becomes unavailable. I think all food is life giving, as in it will keep you alive, but the type of food determines how long :D

That is great that you do body a pics too! It keeps us in check. What we see in the mirror or how we feel isn't always what it looks like in a pic. I have gotten rid of a lot of clothes wondering what I was ever thinking buying some after seeing myself in it in a pic. It is a great reality check, and encouraging to see slow progress from one pic to another. It sounds like you are getting this Ray Peat stuff down. I do think some people are more strict than others, but getting the PUFA's out of our diet is the main takeaway to better health, so nobody should beat themselves up for not doing the rest.

Red potatoes or Yukon Golds are sugary good! Where do you live that they are hard to get David?

CuriousKay

fats you eat in the evening are more likely to get stored than used , it s better to eat most of your fats in the morning and eat carbs during lunch and dinner , this is more efficient to burn fat and maintain a healthy circadian rhythm .
I always feel better eating fat in the morning. But I struggle to decide what works for me, because I hear low fat, but I get more neurotic when I eat low fat (less than 50g a day).

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I always feel better eating fat in the morning. But I struggle to decide what works for me, because I hear low fat, but I get more neurotic when I eat low fat (less than 50g a day).
I think "lowish" fat is healthier. Skin would would look awful without fats.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals