Anyone Here Stopped Their Hairloss?

ivy

That makes no sense, Lysine competes with Arginine and depletes it. The main benefit of Lysine is to decrease nitric oxide levels, which Arginine produce.

BTW, @sladerunner69 and others, I'd be cautious with supplementing Lysine because it converts to carnitine, a known anti-thyroid and also the cause of cardiovascular disease from red meat consumption. Haidut mentions that lysine is also positively correlated with cardiovascular diseases in a study, which makes sense because of the carnitine connection. In general lowering nitric oxide will do your hair a lot of good, but like I wrote zinc and magnesium also do that. Those two would be safer, I don't think you'd get additional benefits from lysine except if you have taken arginine supps in the past.

@Elephanto, thanks. I'm definitely into the "first do no harm" principle, which is why I keep debating whether or not to supplement at all. What do you reckon is a safe amount of zinc? I've been using magnesium oil topically, but I dislike the oily feeling and it's hard to remove with ACV and baking soda.

OP
H

helpmyhair

@Elephanto

I read somewhere that taking Zinc internally can produce more testosterone and DHT, speeding up hairloss. Thoughts on this?

As mentioned, my main concern with Zinc/copper is getting more grey hair than I currently have. I'm already at 25% grey hair, and for someone who is 30, it makes me look super old. So naturally I am very hesitant about taking anything that will add more grey hair.. because I'm almost as self-conscious about the greys as I am about the thinning. How important is Zinc in your regimen? Could the regimen be done without?

Currently on Mag Citrate, ACV rince, sodium bicarbonate, and vitamin K. Planning to add Vitamin A and Taurine next. Hair is still shedding like crazy (40 hairs in the sink when I rub my hair).

Gadsie

@Elephanto

I read somewhere that taking Zinc internally can produce more testosterone and DHT, speeding up hairloss. Thoughts on this?

As mentioned, my main concern with Zinc/copper is getting more grey hair than I currently have. I'm already at 25% grey hair, and for someone who is 30, it makes me look super old. So naturally I am very hesitant about taking anything that will add more grey hair.. because I'm almost as self-conscious about the greys as I am about the thinning. How important is Zinc in your regimen? Could the regimen be done without?

Currently on Mag Citrate, ACV rince, sodium bicarbonate, and vitamin K. Planning to add Vitamin A and Taurine next. Hair is still shedding like crazy (40 hairs in the sink when I rub my hair).

Increased serum DHT doesn't speed up hair loss. It's about the DHT in your hair follicles, which is quite unrelated. Bald men usually have less serum tetosterone and DHT than non-bald men. I wouldn't rely on supplements to save your hair, except maybe some progesterone. I'd focus on minimizing PUFA and other general peat things. I have been balding pretty aggressively for 3 years straight, as soon as I minimized my PUFA to <2g a day I havent balded any further.

OP
H

helpmyhair

Increased serum DHT doesn't speed up hair loss. It's about the DHT in your hair follicles, which is quite unrelated. Bald men usually have less serum tetosterone and DHT than non-bald men. I wouldn't rely on supplements to save your hair, except maybe some progesterone. I'd focus on minimizing PUFA and other general peat things. I have been balding pretty aggressively for 3 years straight, as soon as I minimized my PUFA to <2g a day I havent balded any further.

Less than 2 grams of PUFA per day seems pretty restrictive. Can you give an outline of what a day of eating looks like for you?

Gadsie

Less than 2 grams of PUFA per day seems pretty restrictive. Can you give an outline of what a day of eating looks like for you?
It varies quite a bit, but my staples are skim milk, skim chocolate milk, vanilla rice pudding made with skim milk (I can get it in the supermarket), rice with salsa, OJ, dates, potatoes, and thai curry.

kayumochi

Never have I been *going bald" and at 53 I still have thick dark blonde hair but there was a time when I thought I was shedding excessively. Adding aspirin, niacinamide, taurine, glycine, Vitamin A and some others to a Paleoish/Mediterraneanish diet stopped it in its tracks.

Years back, I suddenly started going gray. And by suddenly I mean within days and people commented and those who didn't would look at me then look away - I could tell what they were thinking. Then it stopped and completely reversed itself. And I don't know why. Any ideas?

EIRE24

Never have I been *going bald" and at 53 I still have thick dark blonde hair but there was a time when I thought I was shedding excessively. Adding aspirin, niacinamide, taurine, glycine, Vitamin A and some others to a Paleoish/Mediterraneanish diet stopped it in its tracks.

Years back, I suddenly started going gray. And by suddenly I mean within days and people commented and those who didn't would look at me then look away - I could tell what they were thinking. Then it stopped and completely reversed itself. And I don't know why. Any ideas?
You say paleoish/mediterranesnidh. I'm guessing this was adequate in fat then? What kind of foods did you eat?

kayumochi

You say paleoish/mediterranesnidh. I'm guessing this was adequate in fat then? What kind of foods did you eat?

Yeah, I have always eaten plenty of coconut oil but recently (beginning of summer) stopped all liquid fats (as an experiment) and that little bit of stubborn fat I had melted away and now only get my dietary fat from dairy, eggs and meat. My diet is simple: a small amount of meat (average 3 oz usually beef) and all the vegetables I care to eat. Eggs are often on the menu these days as well and low-fat cottage cheese because in addition to dropping liquid fats I wanted to up my daily protein intake (and lift weights more often - am incredibly lean and muscular right now). Also, I often take "Naked" brand casein. Beef gelatin. White rice sometimes. Aged Parmesan cheese. Fruit for dessert. What else? Popcorn with honey when I want something more than fruit as dessert. Tiger nuts.

EIRE24

Yeah, I have always eaten plenty of coconut oil but recently (beginning of summer) stopped all liquid fats (as an experiment) and that little bit of stubborn fat I had melted away and now only get my dietary fat from dairy, eggs and meat. My diet is simple: a small amount of meat (average 3 oz usually beef) and all the vegetables I care to eat. Eggs are often on the menu these days as well and low-fat cottage cheese because in addition to dropping liquid fats I wanted to up my daily protein intake (and lift weights more often - am incredibly lean and muscular right now). Also, I often take "Naked" brand casein. Beef gelatin. White rice sometimes. Aged Parmesan cheese. Fruit for dessert. What else? Popcorn with honey when I want something more than fruit as dessert. Tiger nuts.
Sounds very very tasty and congrats on feeling healthy, lean and muscular. Was it supplemental vitamin A or from liver that you obtained it?

kayumochi

Sounds very very tasty and congrats on feeling healthy, lean and muscular. Was it supplemental vitamin A or from liver that you obtained it?
I take the Idea Labs Retinil. That is something too I began at the beginning of the summer.

OP
H

helpmyhair

It varies quite a bit, but my staples are skim milk, skim chocolate milk, vanilla rice pudding made with skim milk (I can get it in the supermarket), rice with salsa, OJ, dates, potatoes, and thai curry.

So besides liquids, the only solid food you are eating is potatoes, rice and dates? Is this all you eat? Do you eat meat?

chimdp

Topical magnesium oil, T3, and vitamin A, along with scalp massages, and sufficient sun exposure have worked well.

@CoolTweetPete When you say topical magnesium oil are you using that on various parts of the body or specifically in your hair? I guess I'd ask the same question for T3? Thanks!

CoolTweetPete

@chimdp I actually do use it all over my body and scalp. It's wonderful for muscle recovery after exercise. It's easy to make a lotion with a very nice texture and smell by blending 1) melted coconut oil 2) magnesium oil 3) retinyl acetate (Retinil) 4) powdered taurine

Refrigerate it for a couple of hours and you've got a fantastic homemade lotion. I use it all over my body after showering to repel the water. Just my anecdotal observation, but I think getting water off the skin quickly after showering affects skin quality drastically.

And yes, the T3 is also applied to the scalp, shortly after the mixture above, brushed into the scalp with a boar bristle brush. I typically follow that with a short scalp massage before bed. This all seems to be working wonderfully. I'm also using several other things, but I think the topicals are certainly having an effect.

Last edited:

Nestito

@Elephanto, one last question! Regarding the MagCitrate, when you say 1000-2000mg are you referring to it as MagCitrate as a whole or the dose of elemental magnesium within it?

I began using the BulkSupplements, which suggests using up to about 3,000mg of their product a day which equals to 500mg of elemental mag. Still no laxative effect has taken place, so I'm confused on what you mean regarding that.

RedStaR

@Elephanto, one last question! Regarding the MagCitrate, when you say 1000-2000mg are you referring to it as MagCitrate as a whole or the dose of elemental magnesium within it?

I began using the BulkSupplements, which suggests using up to about 3,000mg of their product a day which equals to 500mg of elemental mag. Still no laxative effect has taken place, so I'm confused on what you mean regarding that.

Gross dose.

OP
H

helpmyhair

@Elephanto Wish you would come back to this thread. Felt you are onto something and think this may be a breakthrough for alot of us here suffering. I have been doing many of your recommendations since you posted them.

I wanted to ask, I read all of your posts on the Immortal Hair forum, and was wondering if you still subscribe to the skull expansion theory? If so, what part of your recommendations prevents and/or reverses skull growth?

RedStaR

So 2000mg of the elemental magnesium? or just 500mg of elemental magnesium which equals to 3,000mg mag citrate?

I think he meant 500-1000mg of magensium citrate, no one quotes doses in elemental form.

With that said, that is barely equal to the RDA excluding food. You might want to stick to 3,000mg for the megadose effect.

EIRE24

"Refrigerate it for a couple of hours and you've got a fantastic homemade lotion. I use it all over my body after showering to repel the water. Just my anecdotal observation, but I think getting water off the skin quickly after showering affects skin quality drastically" @CoolTweetPete

You think its good or bad to get water off the skin quickly after showering for skin quality?

CoolTweetPete

I think it is good to get the water off quickly. The coconut oil in said mixture displaces it well if used immediately after toweling off.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals