Haidut's Recent Comments On Estrogen's Role In Hairloss

rr1

Interesting comment I came across from the admin on a private forum (Perfect Hair Health). It mentions ray peat, Danny Roddy and a little about estrogen.

This is just my opinion, so I'm open to being totally wrong here. I only wanted to recommend that Toni consider doing lab tests to confirm if thyroid is an under-active, and if he's curious, to try Ray Peat's recommendations to see if they help him.

I have read a lot of Ray Peat's work, though I'm certainly not as familiar with it now than I was 6-7 years ago. For context – back in 2011/2012, I experimented with Ray Peat / Danny Roddy's recommendations for hair loss and optimizing thyroid. I tried to minimize my exposure to PUFAs, optimize my calcium:phosphate ratio, and started viewing sugar more so as a supplement. I built a diet around coffee, orange juice, eggs, cottage cheese, coca cola, whole milk, liver, ground beef, Häagen-Dazs ice cream, etc. I exposed myself to lots of sunlight, stopped working out (and replaced my efforts with more walking), and made sure that my macros were roughly aligned with what Ray Peat/Danny Roddy advocated.

I did this for ~6 months. I ended up with continued hair loss and a resurgence of acne all over my face. The acne didn't subsist after switching milk brands, moving from whole milk to 2%, switching to raw cow's milk, or switching to raw goat's milk. So I ended my experiment and moved onto other testing other interventions.

Later on, as I worked to become more scientifically literate, I began to disagree with Danny Roddy's / Ray Peat's recommendations for optimizing thyroid health. This really started to take hold after reading beyond their articles and into their source material (i.e., scholarly references).

The issues I noticed were two-fold:

1. Ray Peat / Danny Roddy seemed to group all hair loss disorders together (i.e., hair loss from hypothyroidism, nutrient deficiencies, androgenic alopecia, scarring alopecias, etc.). While there are plenty of cases of overlapping hair loss disorders, each type of hair loss is histologically different, and in general, has a unique set of causes + appropriate treatments. I found that a lot of people were interpreting Danny Roddy / Ray Peat's recommendations for hypothyroid-related hair loss as recommendations for androgenic alopecia-related hair loss. In general, it didn't seem that they were delineating the differences in most of their articles.
  2. Ray Peat / Danny Roddy seemed to make generalizations of hormones as if they were one-dimensional. For example, something I often read in the Ray Peat forums was that "DHT = pro-hair, estrogen = anti-hair". This is a bit problematic, and not necessarily accurate. For instance, DHT can cause hair loss or hair growth depending on whether the arrival of that DHT induces certain signaling proteins surrounding the mesodermal sheath and dermal papillae of a hair follicle. Moreover, estrogen's role in hair loss/hair growth is both gender-specific and location-specific. High serum estrogen levels in men are often correlated with systemic inflammation, higher insulin levels, and thereby are often associated with early-onset pattern hair loss and/or a hair shedding disorder. But estrogen activity within scalp hair follicles themselves actually helps to regulate the hair growth cycle, which is why topical estrogens sometimes elicit hair-promoting effects in some individuals.
I wanted to provide an example of that second point, so I went to Danny Roddy's site and clicked into his article on debunking the scalp expansion theory. I didn't need to go far to find an example where he makes a broad generalization about the role of one hormone, but where his citation doesn't necessarily back up this assertion. To quote from his very first reference:

Similarly, because estrogen dissolves bone,[1] it would appear that estrogen is not only a candidate for the reason why women are more protected from pattern baldness than men, but possibly as a therapy.

The paper he's referencing is, Effects of estrogen on growth plate senescence and epiphyseal fusion. The study is on rabbits who had their ovaries removed, and who then received estrogen injections once weekly to see how this would impact the fusion of a variety of bone growth plates. The authors concluded that:

(i) The growth plate undergoes programmed senescence including a decline in growth rate, proliferation rate, and the number and size of chondrocytes. This program may be due to replicative senescence of the growth plate chondrocytes. (ii) Epiphyseal fusion is a rapid process that is triggered when the senescence program reaches a critical point. Specifically, epiphyseal fusion seems to be triggered when the proliferative potential of the growth plate chondrocytes is finally exhausted. (iii) Estrogen accelerates the growth plate senescence program, thereby exhausting the proliferative potential of growth plate chondrocytes sooner, consequently triggering earlier epiphyseal fusion. This model may also apply to humans, providing an explanation for certain clinical observations: the catch-down growth in children following estrogen exposure, the prolonged and age-dependent delay between the onset of estrogen and the onset of fusion, and the acceleration of bone age by estrogen.

If the problem isn't already clear, it's that Danny Roddy is backing up the claim that estrogen dissolves bone by citation a study measuring estrogen's influence on growth plate fusion on ovariectomized rabbits. The study's findings don't support his claim; in fact, they actually argue more of the opposite: that estrogens play a crucial role in helping to fuse growth plates which may explain why some children slow in growth following consistent exogenous estrogen exposure. This is just the first reference of his article.

So, after finding a lot of these types of issues across Ray Peat/Danny Roddy's work, I eventually abandoned their principles and moved onto other things.

Now, this isn't to say that their recommendations WON'T work. They certainly have worked for some people. So, if anyone is curious, I always recommend that they experiment with their recommendations to see if they help them. But for me personally, it didn't work. And digging deeper into their work, I don't find that the sources they cite often support the claims they make about hair, hormones, and health.

If you're curious, here's a thread that echoes a lot of the sentiments above, plus some others that I haven't addressed.

In any case, the last thing I want to do is prevent someone from experimenting with something because of my personal experience / opinion. Based on my conversations with Toni, he didn't fit the profile of others with whom I'd worked who had hypothyroid-related hair shedding in addition to AGA. But I could be totally wrong! My hope is that lab work and/or temperature monitoring will help provide more insights.

As far as my own hair loss, my diagnosis suggested that I had strictly AGA, but my lab tests suggested that I also had subclinical hypothyroidism. So, in this case, it made sense for me to try and tackle both the thyroid and the AGA, which is why I likely saw benefit from a combined approach of massaging + dietary/lifestyle changes that had overlap with Ray Peat/Danny Roddy's ideas.

mrchibbs

@dylanrr1

Yeah, that admin is Rob S. English.

If I'm honest, I'm a little disappointed in his tone / arguments in this thread. I've exchanged a few emails with him over the years, and he was always a courteous guy, and he seemed much more receptive and inquisitive about certain ideas than he appears nowadays (I guess since he closed his website and created that community). His 2016 book was top notch, excellent work.

Regarding the "issues" he noticed:

1. Contrary to what he's saying, I do not think the science is pointing towards all the different types of hair loss being unique pathologies. Maybe alopecia universalis? But aside from that all hair loss seems to progress from the same initial stress causing hypothyroidism (whether its nutritional deficiencies, psychological trauma, environmental influences etc.). This stress episode is often either overcome by the person who suffers from recent hairloss, whence upon the hair regrows, or it is maintained, and over some years, as the stress physiology takes hold, the shape of hair loss tends towards the classical MPB shape. There isn't anything "male" about that shape. Women with PCOS or post-menopausal develop it too. It merely has to do with the structure of the scalp, and the fact that under long term hypothyroidism and serotonin dominance, the occipito-frontalis becomes chronically tense, and along with other inflammatory factors present in the scalp, pathological changes set in such that the vertex of the head starts to suffer from microvascular deficiency. It can happen "quickly" too, as the top of the head is simply structurally disadvantaged in terms of vascularization, which is why babies sometimes have that very MPB shape as well.

2. With respect to generalization of hormones, not once does Rob consider prolactin, serotonin, progesterone, or aldosterone, or even cortisol in his arguments. His anecdote that the Ray Peat forums equate DHT with scalp hair growth is a bit ludicrous, as even today in 2020, it's hard to convince many people on here that it is not the cause of hair loss. And I don't think I've ever made the argument that it is "pro-hair", but at the very least, it is not anti-hair, and that is the position which sets apart this forum from much of the rest of the internet and academic world. Regarding estrogen, yes it does play a role in hair growth, but certainly not by directly increasing hair growth (as was written by haidut recently). Estrogen arrests hair growth (probably via prolactin, the "molting" hormone), to "reset" the hair cycle so to speak. Progesterone (or the synthetic progestins) need to be involved to canalize this process into actual hair regrowth. The reason why women are able to withstand the stresses of life and keep a relatively full head of hair during their reproductive years is precisely because of their menstrual cycles, and this dual elevation of estrogen and progesterone (at the same time, contrary to common thought) which stops the stress degenerative processes in their track, something which men can't benefit from. The idea that people have regrown bald scalps on estrogen is not real. It's always E2 + P4 + spironolactone or cyproterone acetate. Finally, associating Ray Peat himself with the tendency to paint a one-dimensional view of hormones is laughable. Who paints a more holistic/non-mechanistic picture of the organism than Ray Peat?

Sadly I think Rob is now too invested in academia, and has tried to tie in his (positive) experience with massages to the underlying DHT/androgen theory. His argument about one of Danny's 2015 articles is telling. He picks apart one reference, and yet as someone who has read both of his articles (English, 2018, 2019) with great interest, I can easily point out massive lapses in interpretation and overall theory. Danny has written many more fascinating papers since 2015, and (this makes me chuckle), I am pretty sure he could extract literally hundreds of references from his legendary Evernote archive highlighting estrogen's effects on bone. He's not being fair to Danny here, at all. Regarding hypothyroidism and hair loss, this is clearly the hill I'm willing to die on, but I've accumulated so much evidence tying thyroid function to hair metabolism that I just can't see how anyone would argue that they're not related. I do not believe there is such a thing as AGA or MPB (it's not "male", "genetic" or driven by "androgens"). It should just be simply referred to as alopecia or scalp hair loss.

I've discussed this many times, even in personal emails with Danny, and I've wanted Danny to invite Rob to his podcast for a long time. I think I'm slowly changing my mind and am a little disheartened by Rob's comments. The original guys who regrew their hair with his massage technique also fixed their metabolic/thyroid issues, and one guy in particular (Jared), who fully regrew his receded hairline, was following Danny's ideas (he was consulting with Danny) at the same time as he was implementing Rob's massages in 2014-2015. Rob himself never saw regrowth until his temperature went back to 98.6 from the low 96s. At least he acknowledges that part at the end there, but this leaves a sour taste in my mouth. I don't want to judge Rob too harshly though, because in the past he's shown himself to be a great guy.

Last edited:

DhtAssassin

And how does that prove anything? First of all, in the study they are using high concentations of minoxidil and for very long times compared to real usage. Also, in the body minoxidil gets converted to minoxidil sulfate and that seems to be the main reason it works. I dont see study mentioning it, or am I blind?
Second, If PFS is from 5ari, how can can androgen receptor suppresers cause PFS lol? Completely different mechanism.

outcast1979

And how does that prove anything? First of all, in the study they are using high concentations of minoxidil and for very long times compared to real usage. Also, in the body minoxidil gets converted to minoxidil sulfate and that seems to be the main reason it works. I dont see study mentioning it, or am I blind?
Second, If PFS is from 5ari, how can can androgen receptor suppresers cause PFS lol? Completely different mechanism.
I just mention this site as the reason some people tend to believe that minox had anti androgen properties,my personal experience with minox was very good the first years without androgen related problem,only slight headaches nothing else.Pfs is a mystery,but its real,i hope people to find a way to cure this nightmare.

DhtAssassin

He got initial regrowth - lost some of it then suffered big side effects. Which is what many of us have said would happen in regards to dosing yourself with estrogen.
At least it kinda beats OP who claims that estrogen causes hair loss.

Ableton

At least it kinda beats OP who claims that estrogen causes hair loss.
I think it’s pretty clear just from an observational standpoint, that if estrogen indeed causes hair loss, which it might imo or might not, then it’s because of the androgenic response of a body to the elevated e. So e would be the cause of the cascade, but not the hormon that sends you to norwood cemetry in vitro.
Hence why you see 300lbs tanks at mcdonalds with gyno and nw0. Also why I do not believe hair is the ultimate health indicator: many men are high e (from observation), barely identifiable as a man, and have great hair. They lack the androgenic response to it
I will bet that these guys are the first to get cancer, and they are obviously unfit

Pablo Cruise

I know ,I know and I've thought about it as well . But it doesnt apply here ,I also took pregnenolone at the same time which is arguably at least as anti inflammatory as ginger in more than one way and it still didn't help ,also tried vitamin e ,anti biotics, magnesium ,androsterone all of which should be anti inflammatory and at least indirectly anti serotonin ... the best guess besides estrogen might be the 5ht3 antagonism but im still not sure .

I mostly agree with you on the rest. I think calcification in the scalp is a big problem that doesnt get enough attention. So a good approach is to tackle the calcification with scalp massages/ exercises and of course vitamin k and stuff . But I can really recommend the scalp exercises by tom hagerty it's a lot of work but if you really want to keep and grow back your hair you'll be happy to do it imo ! Safed and is still saving my hair ...
Let me add this to the massage theory. I did vigorous scalp massage for 15 months religiously not missing a day. The result was no result.

I think someone did a study comparing a MtF sex change but were before and after hormone systemic and tissue concentrations done? That would be curious to me.

Orally Finasteride 10mg daily gave me more hair than my wife though no balls.... It just seems to me we are not headed (no pun intended) in the right direction though your intellectual arguments have meaning but not cause. Why does Fin work so well? I mean higher doses.

BTW I would suggest that low level laser red light (LLL), ie, the helmets do help to some degree besides perhaps Finasteride, Dutastide, Minoxidil concurrently. This is entirely and completely undocumented, lol, but I take Doxycline for recurrent prostatitis and when I do my hair stops falling out. When I quit it, it begins again. I have no digestive or bowel issues with chronic Doxy but Doxy is a very interestiong drug with more properties than being an bacteriostatic antibiotic. Antiflammatory I believe which is why we use in certain life threatening sepsis infections. A new finding too from a very old antibiotic.

Mauritio

Let me add this to the massage theory. I did vigorous scalp massage for 15 months religiously not missing a day. The result was no result.

I think someone did a study comparing a MtF sex change but were before and after hormone systemic and tissue concentrations done? That would be curious to me.

Orally Finasteride 10mg daily gave me more hair than my wife though no balls.... It just seems to me we are not headed (no pun intended) in the right direction though your intellectual arguments have meaning but not cause. Why does Fin work so well? I mean higher doses.

BTW I would suggest that low level laser red light (LLL), ie, the helmets do help to some degree besides perhaps Finasteride, Dutastide, Minoxidil concurrently. This is entirely and completely undocumented, lol, but I take Doxycline for recurrent prostatitis and when I do my hair stops falling out. When I quit it, it begins again. I have no digestive or bowel issues with chronic Doxy but Doxy is a very interestiong drug with more properties than being an bacteriostatic antibiotic. Antiflammatory I believe which is why we use in certain life threatening sepsis infections. A new finding too from a very old antibiotic.
I said scalp exercises not scalp massage .

meatbag

If you guys would try progest-e and actually rub it in, you start seeing hairs popping up. slow process though. You need to try thyroid to get the TSH down as low as possible and vitamin d in a good range or you just won't get the circulation

1615849187212.png

Ismail

If you guys would try progest-e and actually rub it in, you start seeing hairs popping up. slow process though. You need to try thyroid to get the TSH down as low as possible and vitamin d in a good range or you just won't get the circulation

View attachment 22118
Have you tried this? If so, for how long? And what results have you seen? Thanks

meatbag

Have you tried this? If so, for how long? And what results have you seen? Thanks
Yeah I recently tried and I'm getting some effect but based on what I'm seeing so far it'll take awhile to produce very noticeable results. If it is significant I will try to post pictures and a description of what I did.

Ismail

Yeah I recently tried and I'm getting some effect but based on what I'm seeing so far it'll take awhile to produce very noticeable results. If it is significant I will try to post pictures and a description of what I did.
Amazing, that’ll be very interesting! Thank you ?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals