Amazing "Croissant Diet" Experiment Results (Stearic Acid/Saturated Fat)

Mauritio

So I tried this yesterday bought 4 butter croissants and ate probably around 100-150g of fat mostly consisting of butter ,cocoa butter and hydrogenated coconut oil . I felt okay but I think the whole fat is just too much for me or my body. My nipples got puffy ,my face bloated. The liver is clearly overloaded with something and cant do its job --> getting rid of estrogen. Thats at least my theory. I didnt really digest the cocoa butter well , it irritated my stomach but topcially was fine. I dont think i will continue ,since i really dont crave fat anymore (much more sugar) . I ordered stearic acid , and will try to replicate the amount of the study ,which was 20g per day.

OP
Julian

Julian

Where did you get this idea from, that somehow they are selling 50% Palmitic Acid without disclosing it?

Regardless, the original post was likely using consumer level USP/Food Grade Steric Acid. He made no mention of ordering it directly from Sigma Aldrich.

Got it from this thread on Reddit:
PSA: The stearic acid you buy online will likely be 50/50 stearic acid/palmitic acid : SaturatedFat

He links to another thread where a guy reports this:

I have some disturbing news. According to the CoA sent to me by the seller (alt link), the product is more palmitic acid (C16) than it is stearic acid (C18). I have independently notified the seller, Amazon, USP, and the FDA. 5016 NF-FG and 5016 NF-EXT are apparently both about half palmitic. You may wish to consider adding an appropriate review for the product.

yerrag

I thought that Its because increased mitochondrial function leading to higher fatty acid uptake like with pregnenolone And insulin, study was posted earlier.....
I'm open to a good explanation but saying sat fats lead to more ROS over PUFAs doesn't sound like a good start to a good story. How the article is written leaves a lot of blanks. It goes over the reader's head on key points. The reader has to blindly accept cause and effect relationships without a good explanation.

Last edited:

ExCarniv

I wouldn't do a croissant diet, but he's right about white flour/potatoes/rice and butter being staples of evolved civilizations.

It's not needed to jump from diet to diet, just find a balance and keep your body with constant energy/nutrients, don't fall for binge/fast cycles, move and you'll naturally find your set point weight designed for your body.

tankasnowgod

Got it from this thread on Reddit:
PSA: The stearic acid you buy online will likely be 50/50 stearic acid/palmitic acid : SaturatedFat

He links to another thread where a guy reports this:

If that concerned, why not ask a few companies for a COA? The claim in that Reddit thread is that he got a COA direct from the seller, and then he is generalizing to all available sellers. It may or may not apply, and its always possible that the redditor is lying or mistaken.

pauljacob

I have 20 years experience in Adobe Photoshop, and I can easily detect photoshopped (modified) pictures. Both before and after pictures on the Croissant Diet are manipulated. The fish is added to the before (there's sunlight on the fish, but none on the two men). The after pictures are two of the most amateurish photoshop work I've ever seen. A couple of posters (GorillaHead and Tarmander) raised the red flag on the pictures, but the majority seemed to be in a frenzy to get stearic acid, and didn't care about the shadiness of the website. From my experience 99% of before and after photos are fake, and I usually quickly leave any weight-loss site with before and after deception.

S-VV

Wut. His hypothesis is based on Peter of hyperlipid, and it has quite a lot of science (and speculation) behind it. I don’t see the motivation in photoshopping just to sell a few bags of stearic acid. Then again, people have done more for less, so who knows.

I’m not so sure it’s fake.

So I have some responses.

1. It’s easy to test. The speed in which it can work is very fast so a test should not take long.

2. You can test it the way I am. I’m just eating white chocolate through the day. For now that should see how something like this works. Yes I’m getting soy lecithin but other than that (and it’s a small amount) should be a decent test.

3. I don’t believe “most” stearic acid is 50% palmitic. But so what if it is? It should still work very well. As long as it isn’t Oleic acid or such.

4. The mechanism should be mitochondrial fusion. Stearic is by far the best way to increase mitochondrial fusion and this is linked to higher metabolic rate, more decoupling and fat loss.

I test things. I don’t see the harm in something like this because it is fast, low downside for me. If it increases my insulin resistance, that is only temporary. If I gain fat, I stop. Very little risk to it.

I have 20 years experience in Adobe Photoshop, and I can easily detect photoshopped (modified) pictures. Both before and after pictures on the Croissant Diet are manipulated. The fish is added to the before (there's sunlight on the fish, but none on the two men). The after pictures are two of the most amateurish photoshop work I've ever seen. A couple of posters (GorillaHead and Tarmander) raised the red flag on the pictures, but the majority seemed to be in a frenzy to get stearic acid, and didn't care about the shadiness of the website. From my experience 99% of before and after photos are fake, and I usually quickly leave any weight-loss site with before and after deception.

i doubt it.

LUH 3417

Maybe fish scales reflect differently out of water or under water.

Andman

My thoughts is hes after shot is by far one of the worst things i have ever seen as an example as document to show lost weight.

yeah i dont see what the fuss is about either?

i mean stearic acid, cocoa butter etc is great but thats hardly news right ‍♂️

Nemo

I had similar weight loss results just switching to coconut oil instead of butter in the granola I make at home. The recipe is 5 tablespoons coconut oil, 2 1/2 cups sprouted organic rolled oats, 1/2 cup sugar (you can cut the sugar a bit and add maple syrup for extra flavor), a little vanilla and salt to taste.

I nibble it if I get hungry between meals and have some at bedtime with whole milk and blueberries. It keeps me asleep through the night.

So I wonder if it's really the stearic acid that's doing the trick (assuming the weight loss is real) or just the higher sfa to ufa ratio.

I eventually changed to 3 tablespoons coconut oil with 2 tablespoons butter because I didn't need to lose more weight and the butter tastes so good. If I gain a pound or two, I switch back to only coconut oil for a while.

tankasnowgod

I had similar weight loss results just switching to coconut oil instead of butter in the granola I make at home. The recipe is 5 tablespoons coconut oil, 2 1/2 cups sprouted organic rolled oats, 1/2 cup sugar (you can cut the sugar a bit and add maple syrup for extra flavor), a little vanilla and salt to taste.

I nibble it if I get hungry between meals and have some at bedtime with whole milk and blueberries. It keeps me asleep through the night.

So I wonder if it's really the stearic acid that's doing the trick (assuming the weight loss is real) or just the higher sfa to ufa ratio.

I eventually changed to 3 tablespoons coconut oil with 2 tablespoons butter because I didn't need to lose more weight and the butter tastes so good. If I gain a pound or two, I switch back to only coconut oil for a while.

Brad (author of "Fire in a Bottle") suggested the ratio probably the most important, but the experiment with mice suggests that stearic acid seems to have some special properties over other SFAs. Haidut suggested something similar when he posted Stearic Acid studies. I don't doubt both are contributing. Since stearic is a longer chain, 18 carbons, it might be better at displacing PUFA like linoleic acid (also 18 carbons) than other SFAs. Other PUFAs have even longer carbon chains.

Brad even made the point somewhere that if you ate a more traditional diet, or a lower PUFA diet like the French did in the 1970s, that the additional Stearic Acid likely wouldn't be necessary. But it might be helpful (or even needed) for those of us that were raised with a high PUFA diet.

Last edited:

gabys225

2 days of high stearic acid butter oil (of my own making, Brad's isn't available yet) with eggs scrambled in pan. Last night I had an episode - the first in my life and I am 30 years old - that was pretty frightening. I had a late breakfast at around noon, went to a friends house for burgers and shortly after I finished them my blood pressure and heart rate went up significantly. I began to sweat and worry about what was going on. I calmed myself down by focusing on my breath but I also noticed I had a pleasant euphoria in my head. It was very strange and unsettling, the only addition to what I eat being the stearic acid.

This is in line with what Haidut reported in the older stearic acid thread where he said "...heart rate and temps are unreal."

All in all - Go slow folks! I thought I was having a panic attack, I didn't expect it to come on like that.

Broken man

I'm open to a good explanation but saying sat fats lead to more ROS over PUFAs doesn't sound like a good start to a good story. How the article is written leaves a lot of blanks. It goes over the reader's head on key points. The reader has to blindly accept cause and effect relationships without a good explanation.
I thought, go on page 2 and there Is a study about stearic acid and mitochondria

tankasnowgod

2 days of high stearic acid butter oil (of my own making, Brad's isn't available yet) with eggs scrambled in pan. Last night I had an episode - the first in my life and I am 30 years old - that was pretty frightening. I had a late breakfast at around noon, went to a friends house for burgers and shortly after I finished them my blood pressure and heart rate went up significantly. I began to sweat and worry about what was going on. I calmed myself down by focusing on my breath but I also noticed I had a pleasant euphoria in my head. It was very strange and unsettling, the only addition to what I eat being the stearic acid.

This is in line with what Haidut reported in the older stearic acid thread where he said "...heart rate and temps are unreal."

All in all - Go slow folks! I thought I was having a panic attack, I didn't expect it to come on like that.

I once took 50 mcg of T3 in a short period of time, and had a reaction similar to what you describe (not sure about BP, but pulse, breathing were elevated, and yes, I did get the sweating and heat). I'd often get similar reactions to eating potatoes cooked in coconut oil, but that was less intense. Usually, that was pretty pleasant, although sometimes it did feel like my pulse was going a bit too high. But it only lasted a couple minutes, max.

Vinny

I believe you.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals