Amazing "Croissant Diet" Experiment Results (Stearic Acid/Saturated Fat)

Mauritio

clarify the butter

melt both the clarified butter and stearic acid together

that's about it, at least that's what I'm going to do.
What ratio though?

DJ123

He could've just waterfasted a whole month instead of eating junk.

OP
Julian

Julian

This may be a reason why this works:
Dietary stearic acid regulates mitochondria in vivo in humans

Since modern foods are unnaturally enriched in single metabolites, it is important to understand which metabolites are sensed by the human body and which are not.

We previously showed that the fatty acid stearic acid (C18:0) signals via a dedicated pathway to regulate mitofusin activity and thereby mitochondrial morphology and function in cell culture. Whether this pathway is poised to sense changes in dietary intake of C18:0 in humans is not known. We show here that C18:0 ingestion rapidly and robustly causes mitochondrial fusion in people within 3 h after ingestion. C18:0 intake also causes a drop in circulating long-chain acylcarnitines, suggesting increased fatty acid beta-oxidation in vivo. This work thereby identifies C18:0 as a dietary metabolite that is sensed by our bodies to control our mitochondria. This could explain part of the epidemiological differences between C16:0 and C18:0, whereby C16:0 increases cardiovascular and cancer risk whereas C18:0 decreases both

And this:
Insulin Stimulates Mitochondrial Fusion and Function in Cardiomyocytes via the Akt-mTOR-NFκB-Opa-1 Signaling Pathway

Insulin regulates heart metabolism through the regulation of insulin-stimulated glucose uptake. Studies have indicated that insulin can also regulate mitochondrial function.

Relevant to this idea, mitochondrial function is impaired in diabetic individuals.

Furthermore, the expression of Opa-1 and mitofusins, proteins of the mitochondrial fusion machinery, is dramatically altered in obese and insulin-resistant patients.

Given the role of insulin in the control of cardiac energetics, the goal of this study was to investigate whether insulin affects mitochondrial dynamics in cardiomyocytes.

Confocal microscopy and the mitochondrial dye MitoTracker Green were used to obtain three-dimensional images of the mitochondrial network in cardiomyocytes and L6 skeletal muscle cells in culture.

Three hours of insulin treatment increased Opa-1 protein levels, promoted mitochondrial fusion, increased mitochondrial membrane potential, and elevated both intracellular ATP levels and oxygen consumption in cardiomyocytes in vitro and in vivo.

Consequently, the silencing of Opa-1 or Mfn2 prevented all the metabolic effects triggered by insulin. We also provide evidence indicating that insulin increases mitochondrial function in cardiomyocytes through the Akt-mTOR-NFκB signaling pathway. These data demonstrate for the first time in our knowledge that insulin acutely regulates mitochondrial metabolism in cardiomyocytes through a mechanism that depends on increased mitochondrial fusion, Opa-1, and the Akt-mTOR-NFκB pathway.

Thanks for this!

Metabolites produced from fiber includes some important fatty acids including stearic acid. With gut issues the microbiome will become imbalanced and metabolites production will be affected.

Multi-omics Analysis of Gut Microbiota and Metabolites in Rats With Irritable Bowel Syndrome
One of the few metabolites that is lower in rats with IBS is stearic acid.

So for people with gut issues, adding stearic acid might compensate the metabolites that are produced by the gut and signals the body that everything is okay so you start losing abdominal fat.

Interesting hypothesis!

Keep it coming guys :) Let's get to the bottom of this!

Scenes

How would this be different to adding a few drops of DeFibron to your meals? It has methyl stearate and is literally designed to stack the sfa ratio in your favour.

Also, reading his site on that link it seems like a fairly obvious scam. He’s already making the butter oil product for sale and his before/after pics are blatantly poorly done.

Vinny

According the the croissant diet guy, that’s a feature, not a bug. Saturated fat induces mitochondrial ROS in the adipocytes, making them transiently (physiologically) insulin resistant, so that they do not uptake more fatty acids, and instead burn their own. Of course, since fat stays on the bloodstream, by the Randle Cycle, it will decrease glucose oxidation, which will translate to a higher BS reading.
Do you think eating st. acid long term (providing it worked well initially for fat loss) would have some downsides?
Thanks

Vinny

yerrag

I have been looking for unenriched flour, its illegal to sell and import it in Canada. Anyone have a lead?
Well, you can buy wheat grain, and mill it with a grain mill. That is, if you have one. Sometimes, a coffee bean burr grinder can be used for that purpose as well.

yerrag

just quicker, easier to think, more aware

I think the LCSFAs, in chylomicrons and in vldls, bind to endotoxins from the brain, and the brain cells become more responsive.

My brain hasn't turned foggy, but I can't retrieve words as easily from my vocabulary store in the brain. Often, common, recently used words are at the tip of my tongue. It started when I had an endotoxin storm from bacterial die-off from taking a daily dose of 200 mg doxy. I was taking ZymEssence proteolytic enzymes concurrently. It was lysing plaque, but releasing previously dormant bacteria into the bloodstream.

I'm taking more LCSFAs to lower endotoxin stores in my vascular system. I don't know if the endotoxins being cleared from your brain are overwhelming your liver, and causing you to have blood sugar problems, as you stated earlier.

yerrag

Metabolites produced from fiber includes some important fatty acids including stearic acid. With gut issues the microbiome will become imbalanced and metabolites production will be affected.

Multi-omics Analysis of Gut Microbiota and Metabolites in Rats With Irritable Bowel Syndrome
One of the few metabolites that is lower in rats with IBS is stearic acid.

So for people with gut issues, adding stearic acid might compensate the metabolites that are produced by the gut and signals the body that everything is okay so you start losing abdominal fat.

that's an interesting hypothesis, thank you!

I'm a little slow here. How does taking stearic acid cause one to lose abdominal fat? Sorry, TLDR on that link.

Last edited:

nikotrope

I'm a little slow here. Dow does taking stearic acid cause one to lose abdominal fat? Sorry, TLDR on that link.

Nutritional Signaling via Free Fatty Acid Receptors
The gut has receptors detecting various fatty acids to regulate metabolism and inflammation.

My hypothesis is that ingesting stearic acid will signal the body to upregulating metabolism and reduce inflammation with effects like blood glucose reduction talked about here Dietary Stearic Acid Reduces Visceral Fat By 70% And Increases Lean Mass.

yerrag

I tried to read this. The ROS Theory of Obesity as explained here The ROS Theory of Obesity - Fire In A Bottle goes against what I believe to be our understanding of saturated fats vs PUFAs, if we are to believe in Ray Peat's ideas on the subject.

According to the author, as he explains the ROS Theory of Obesity, saturated fats generate ROS and PUFAs don't. I just had to stop reading this.

I think that dietary stearic acid would be able to help with combating obesity, but not for the reasons being discussed in this thread. I think that dietary stearic acid is helpful with obesity for a different reason: that it transports endotoxins out of our system, and in so doing restores our ability to metabolize sugar well. In addition, saturated fats have an antibiotic effect, and it would be able to kill bacteria as well. This reduces the need of our innate immune system, to phagocytize bacteria, which requires the production of ROS to kill bacteria. The ROS spillover to adjacent tissues is an oxidative stress, and it requires the use of endogenous anti-oxidants such as glutathione, uric acid, and albumin, to neutralize the stress.

Because the use of stearic acid leads to lower production of ROS and lower usage of endogenous anti-oxidants, this would conserve anti-oxidants for use in quelling the natural production of ROS during mitochondrial respiration. This would allow a higher rate of mitochondrial respiration, and the increased metabolic rate leads to higher energy usage, and the burning of calories would be facilitated. This would lead to weight reduction.

Not only that, lowering the state of inflammation from reduced endotoxin levels allows the whole body tissues to be absorb and metabolize sugar freely. This leads to the salutary effect of good sugar regulation throughout the body, avoiding the peaks and valleys of blood sugar, and keeps the stress response to a minimum. It would lead to less fat production by the liver which results from high blood sugar condition being relieved by the liver through de novo lipogenesis, as signalled by an insulin response. It would lead to eliminating hunger, the result of insulin causing blood sugar to become too low, and cause another meal to be eaten, in the process increasing caloric intake. Speaking of hunger, this would not happen as well as good blood sugar regulation prevents fatty tissue buildup in the liver, and this allows more room in the liver to store glycogen. Glycogen comes into use when it's converted to glucose by the liver when blood sugar gets low - in between meals and during a day fast.

I don't buy the ROS theory of obesity. The theory is anti-peat but the idea of using stearic acid isn't though.

Last edited:

yerrag

It causes mitochondria to fuse and increases fat burning.

steRic acid promotes mitofusin and mitochondrial fusion. The other way lies obesity.

https://www.cell.com/cell-reports/pdfExtended/S2211-1247(19)30210-4
We found that exposure of adult animals to calorie- dense foods rapidly abolished expression of mitofu- sin 2 (Mfn2), a gene promoting mitochondrial fusion and mitochondrion-endoplasmic reticulum interac- tions, in white and brown fat. Mfn2 mRN was also robustly lower in obese human subjects compared with lean controls. Adipocyte-specific knockdown of Mfn2 in adult mice led to increased food intake, adiposity, and impaired glucose metabolism on stan- dard chow as well as on a diet with high calorie content. The body weight and adiposity of mature adipocyte-specific Mfn2 knockout mice on a stan- dard diet were similar to those of control mice on a high-fat diet. The transcriptional profile of the adi- pose tissue in adipocyte-specific Mfn2 knockout mice was consistent with adipocyte proliferation, increased lipogenesis at the tissue level, and decreased glucose utilization at the systemic level. These observations suggest a possible crucial role for mitochondrial dynamics in adipocyt

Last edited:

rebuke

Well, you can buy wheat grain, and mill it with a grain mill. That is, if you have one. Sometimes, a coffee bean burr grinder can be used for that purpose as well.
I am actually looking to buy a Bartaza Encore. If a burr grinder can double up as a grain mill I would consider buying a more expensive one. If you have anymore insight please share.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals