Why Isn't There More Enthousiasm About MCT Oil?

Gadsie

There's a bunch of threads about people looking for verified fully hydrogenated coconut oil, because obviously we want to eliminate PUFA as much as possible (has anyone found one yet by the way?).

Why aren't we all taking large amounts of MCT oil as a proper calorie source? This is 100% saturated, there's less pufa in it than in even orange juice.

"If the basic foods were chosen for minimal unsaturated fats, then coconut oil wouldn't add much of value."-RP

"Just about everything that goes wrong involves FFA increase. If they are totally saturated fatty acids, such as from coconut oil and butter, those are less harmful, but they still tend to shift the mitochondrial cellular metabolism away from using glucose and fructose and turning on various stress related things; By lowering the carbon dioxide production I think is the main mechanism."-RP

I think it should be used more for cooking protein like eggs or meat than a direct calorie source, or used as skin moisturizer or lube.

OP
Gadsie

Gadsie

Just about everything that goes wrong involves FFA increase. If they are totally saturated fatty acids, such as from coconut oil and butter, those are less harmful, but they still tend to shift the mitochondrial cellular metabolism away from usingglucose and fructose and turning on various stress related things; By lowering the carbon dioxide production I think is the mainmechanism."-RP

So you're saying sugar is better than fat, ok, but isn't all sugar that isn't immediately used converted to saturated fat?
By that logic mct oil would be a better food source in terms of macronutrients than for example fruit, because fruit has some pufa, mct oil doesn't. So a sugar source such as fruit would end up as saturated fat+pufa whereas MCT oil would end up as just saturated fat.

tara

By that logic mct oil would be a better food source in terms of macronutrients than for example fruit, because fruit has some pufa, mct oil doesn't. So a sugar source such as fruit would end up as saturated fat+pufa whereas MCT oil would end up as just saturated fat.
Fruit contains a bunch of other useful nutrients - eg several essential minerals - that a refined MCT oil can't provide.

OP
Gadsie

Gadsie

Fruit contains a bunch of other useful nutrients - eg several essential minerals - that a refined MCT oil can't provide.

Fair enough, but I was just talking about the macronutrients. Mainly I'm just surprised why there isn't more discussion about it on the forum, especially given that there are multiple threads with people looking for fully hydrogenated coconut oil, because they want a 100% saturated fat.

Personally I want a 0% pufa food source, because I need about 3500 calories a day, and it's difficult sticking under 4g PUFA with those calories, because even things like orange juice, coconut oil and low fat milk can push you over.

schultz

I understand what you're saying! It's a zero PUFA fat source so you'd think people here would utilize it somewhat. The reasons I don't use it are...

Coconut oil is cheaper.

MCT oil has the lauric acid removed.

I am under the impression that it is inadvisable to cook with MCT oil.

800mRepeats

I confess; I use it. Occasionally as a calorie source. Mostly when I need a fat at room temperature or colder that's not solid (say, dressing for carrot salad). :eek:

Peata

I use it sometimes. I like that's it's liquidy all the time instead of hard as a rock. I've baked and cooked with it. Didn't realize we weren't supposed to. I've also used it in carrot salad.

belcanto

I use MCT oil to make mayo or salad dressing, but use regular expeller-pressed coconut oil for all other cooking. I didn't know the lauric acid was removed; thanks for telling us, Schultz!

I was actually looking at my mct bottle ingredients the other day .... besides coconut oil it also has palm oil in it. I personally didnt like that

Mito

I was actually looking at my mct bottle ingredients the other day .... besides coconut oil it also has palm oil in it. I personally didnt like that
It depends on the brand. Some are extracted only from coconut oil.

Gl;itch.e

MCT Oil ***** up my guts and gives me the shits. Coconut oil. No problem. That's why I don't use it! :):

Wagner83

I'm also interested in this oil. As Peat said the muscles burn fat when at rest. Brain fat is renewed overnight too. Wouldn't providing the body with mct oil be better metabolically than trying to convert sugar in fats within the body? That sounds like eating low carb and converting proteins or fat in glucose. Of course there's the randle cycle, so maybe a fourth meal with mostly fats/mct oil, away from the carbs meal, would be nice.

SolidSteele

MCT doesn't get digested like longer fats. My understanding is it gets absorbed more like carbohydrates from the gut so it goes straight to the liver via the portal vein. Then it is able to diffuse into the cell and mitochondria where it get metabolized. MCT is a great way to increase acetyl-CoA to the point of ketosis even in the presence of carbohydrates.

I don't think it effects plasma FFAs enough to effect the balance of saturated vs unsaturated.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals