why do we use coconut oil in carrot salad?

yoshiesque

why do we use coconut oil in carrot salad?

does it have to be coconut oil? can it be another fat like olive oil or macadamia oil?

if its just any fat that we need to put in (besides PUFA obviously), then why do we put fats in there?

thanks!

HDD

Coconut oil has additional anti microbial benefits. Olive oil for taste is ok.

L

Lord Cola

Bumping this thread because I don't want to make a new one.

Wouldn't it be better to eat carrots without added coconut or olive oil to maximize the binding effect of carrot fiber? Or very small amounts... teaspoons of oil like I see in some recipes I think would not work as well

vetbusd

"coconut oil lowers the requirement for vitamin E, and reduces the toxicity of the unsaturated fats (see Cleland, et al.), favoring effective respiration and improving thyroid and progesterone production. Endotoxin formed in the bowel can block respiration and cause hormone imbalances contributing to instability of the nerves, so it is helpful to optimize bowel flora, for example with a carrot salad; a dressing of vinegar, coconut oil and olive oil, carried into the intestine by the carrot fiber, suppresses bacterial growth while stimulating healing of the wall of the intestine. The carrot salad improves the ratio of progesterone to estrogen and cortisol, and so is as appropriate for epilepsy as for premenstrual syndrome, insomnia, or arthritis."
- Dr Ray peat

L

Lord Cola

"coconut oil lowers the requirement for vitamin E, and reduces the toxicity of the unsaturated fats (see Cleland, et al.), favoring effective respiration and improving thyroid and progesterone production. Endotoxin formed in the bowel can block respiration and cause hormone imbalances contributing to instability of the nerves, so it is helpful to optimize bowel flora, for example with a carrot salad; a dressing of vinegar, coconut oil and olive oil, carried into the intestine by the carrot fiber, suppresses bacterial growth while stimulating healing of the wall of the intestine. The carrot salad improves the ratio of progesterone to estrogen and cortisol, and so is as appropriate for epilepsy as for premenstrual syndrome, insomnia, or arthritis."
- Dr Ray peat
I think he also says (I don't remember where) the binding effect of carrot fiber is one of the main reasons to eat raw carrots. My guess is adding more than a small amount of fat, maybe up to about a teaspoon per cup of grated carrots, would reduce the binding effect of carrot fiber. Another thing is if one rinses the grated carrots to get rid of the carotene and doesn't dry them very well, the remaining moisture would also reduce the binding effect of the fiber.

I wonder how much value coconut or olive oil really add to the salad if only small amounts are added. Peat recently mentioned that he adds about half a teaspoon of olive oil to his salad.

In my experience just eating a raw carrot has the strongest gut sweeping effect, compared to when vinegar and/or fat are added.

Last edited by a moderator:

GelatinGoblin

For a few reasons. The carrot salad itself is a snack meant to reduce Endotoxin.
This comes from the Insoluble Fiber in carrots physically, Saturated Fat in Coconut Oil (most Saturated oil commonly used in-terms of composition, 91% of it is Saturated Fatty Acids, and it has the lowest amount of Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids, ~1%); Saturated Fat lowers Endotoxin.
Coconut Oil also has some pretty significant anti-microbal properties outside of the Saturated Fat, the same goes for the carrot; it has a bit of anti-microbal properties aswell, and is a good vegetable to eat for its certain Phytochemicals (reduces certain Cancer significantly) and the fact it is grown underground, thus the toxins and defense mechanisms are meant for smaller life-forms, the same goes for most vegetables grown underground; probably the reason behind its slight anti-microbal properties.

Another reason for eating it with Fat is so the Beta-carotene does not accumulate (it's bad if it accumulates and bad in-general), as it will simply be turned into Vitamin A, the process is dependent on Fat, if it is not present it will not be turned into Vitamin A and it will accumulate. What better fat then Coconut Oil??

The full recipe is also a bit of Olive oil and a bit of some kind of vinegar.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals