Why Isn't There More Enthousiasm About MCT Oil?

T

tca300

Interesting how something is defined as good or bad. The authors of this study think MCT oils are bad because they reduce omega-3 fats:
Medium Chain Triglyceride Oil: An Intended Placebo with Unexpected Adverse Effects | Insight Medical Publishing
I think most foods have pros and cons, its probably best for the individual to weigh the good and bad of said food while also considering what effects they personally experience with that food, then see which way the scale tips.

achillea

From the above study
MCT oil was not neutral in its effect on blood lipid biomarkers. The results were surprising and unexpected and have ramifications for the claims made about the positive benefits of MCT oils, and the extrapolations currently being used by some marketers to promote coconut oil and its’ derivatives.

Dave Clark

From the above study
MCT oil was not neutral in its effect on blood lipid biomarkers. The results were surprising and unexpected and have ramifications for the claims made about the positive benefits of MCT oils, and the extrapolations currently being used by some marketers to promote coconut oil and its’ derivatives.
It wasn't neutral, it lowered omega-3 fats, which is what you would think most Peatarians would want. The authors opinion of negative is a positive the way I see it, unless you want higher PUFA in your blood. Clearly, the ramifications are what they think is bad, and if lower omega-3 fats in the blood are considered bad by them, then they do not subscribe to peat's theories.

Last edited:

Luann

Anecdotal but I feel that MCT worsened my histamine headaches in response to eating chocolate and maybe cheese

Zoiros

Before I found Peat, I was carb cycling and used MCT’s when I would go into ketosis. Never really noticed anything positive or negative from it, as opposed to regular refined coconut oil or butter/lard.

I did smell like a dead animal when I was in ketosis though, no matter how many times I bathed! Lol

golder

Does anyone know if Peat would approve MCT oil as a facial moisturiser? Thanks!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals