*Why* Does Gelatin And Collagen Give Me A Headache And Insomnia?

OP
ReneeAnn

ReneeAnn

Thank you, @ecstatichamster ! I've never seen that site before. Looking for sites to help me understand Peat. He is above my head most of the time. Would you say that gelatinous beef, the first time it's cooked would be high histamine? I don't react to lean beef, only to gelatinous cuts.

whit

Thank you, @ecstatichamster ! I've never seen that site before. Looking for sites to help me understand Peat. He is above my head most of the time. Would you say that gelatinous beef, the first time it's cooked would be high histamine? I don't react to lean beef, only to gelatinous cuts.

Some of the old ways of preparing broth they would wait an hour and strain off the top and throw it out
And keep the rest. Some of the issues are what has been stored in the fat depending on the health and source of the animal.
Also a great antihistamine is raw honey. If that infact is what's causing the issue.

OP
ReneeAnn

ReneeAnn

@whit , for some reason, I don't tolerate honey at the moment. I do always put my broth in the refrigerator and remove the fat and I still get a headache. I guess it could be histamine, glutamate or arginine or a combo of them. I'll first experiment with the lysine.

EIRE24

@whit , for some reason, I don't tolerate honey at the moment. I do always put my broth in the refrigerator and remove the fat and I still get a headache. I guess it could be histamine, glutamate or arginine or a combo of them. I'll first experiment with the lysine.
I'm not being smart but just give it up if it gives you a headache. It obviously isn't for you if it's giving you a problem. Listen to your body, it isn't stupid

OP
ReneeAnn

ReneeAnn

@EIRE24, yes, I have given up broth for years, but I love soup!! And, it's annoying when I want to eat some fatty meat like ribs occasionally. I'm going to try to compensate using lysine. If that doesn't work, I will just have to continue to live without it. If I didn't love it so much... But, I do. I'm thankful for the lysine tip and maybe that will work.

Diokine

Gelatin is a very good growth medium for many bacteria and can cause large spikes in endotoxin load, especially with a compromised bowel. I've had trouble with it before, if I either don't dissolve it properly or if I take it mostly by itself (in coffee or something similar.) These issues are very much reduced if I take it with a meal or if I'm not experiencing a lot of intestinal inflammation. This is only with powdered gelatin though, I've almost never had any issues with broth. I'd suspect the mechanism is the same (increased endotoxin load/vasoconstriction and serotonin activity,) but the large amount of arginine can certainly factor into the vascular toning. This indicates you may be having a lot of undigested/unprocessed material mucking about where there are lots of bacteria present.

OP
ReneeAnn

ReneeAnn

Interesting, @Diokine . I had not thought of that. If the lysine doesn't work, maybe as I heal, I'll be able to have it again someday.

some people use plain glycine for awhile instead of gelatin. The glycine is the biggest amino in gelatin and it serves some of the same purpose of balancing out too much muscle meat and helping the gut.

EIRE24

Gelatin is a very good growth medium for many bacteria and can cause large spikes in endotoxin load, especially with a compromised bowel. I've had trouble with it before, if I either don't dissolve it properly or if I take it mostly by itself (in coffee or something similar.) These issues are very much reduced if I take it with a meal or if I'm not experiencing a lot of intestinal inflammation. This is only with powdered gelatin though, I've almost never had any issues with broth. I'd suspect the mechanism is the same (increased endotoxin load/vasoconstriction and serotonin activity,) but the large amount of arginine can certainly factor into the vascular toning. This indicates you may be having a lot of undigested/unprocessed material mucking about where there are lots of bacteria present.
You say you've had problems when gelatin wasn't properly prepared? I had the same problem. Vomiting and headaches, is that what happened you?

Diokine

No vomiting but it brings about something similar to a migraine along with a very spacey feeling, also some wicked heartburn sometimes.

Luann

Even marshmallows, fluoride content is high and whatever else with the glutamates, make you feel weird. Like you said, spacey, and wavy and unsure of yourself and nasty headaches. "Vibration" feelings when trying to sleep. Gelatin comes from near the bone so whatever nasty electronegative stuff adheres to bone, winds up in Jello.

EIRE24

No vomiting but it brings about something similar to a migraine along with a very spacey feeling, also some wicked heartburn sometimes.
Do you think some of the affects of this could be long lasting. I'm certain my gut micro biome has never been the same since I got that voniting and migraine encounter. I was thinking of doing an anti biotic to clear the lot?

OP
ReneeAnn

ReneeAnn

some people use plain glycine for awhile instead of gelatin. The glycine is the biggest amino in gelatin and it serves some of the same purpose of balancing out too much muscle meat and helping the gut.
@ecstatichamster , I took some glycine yesterday, but ended up having pork chops for dinner, so had a little headache. And, today roast pork, so am going to try the glycine tomorrow when I'm having only lean beef. I just want to be very careful to make sure that I'm fine with glycine, although I'm pretty sure that I am. So, I'm glad to know I can get the gelatin benefit from glycine. I do miss soup, though. lol

Sucrates

Interesting and makes sense. From the processing? From the quality of the animals and what they are fed?

Processing or storage I think. I remember reading a paper discussing building gelatin or collagen from amino acids for medical specifically for this issue.

I have heard that Aspartame can trigger migraine it seems. But according to the studies conducted by the American Headache Society , aspartame triggers some migraineurs. There are some other ille effects too llike,I have heard that gelatin often leads to constipation, bloating and lack of appetite because of the excess level of amno acid glycine. So choose the appropirate glatin that fits your digestive system.

tara

I have heard that Aspartame can trigger migraine it seems.
I've heard that too. I don't have much cause to go near it.

There are some other ille effects too llike,I have heard that gelatin often leads to constipation, bloating and lack of appetite because of the excess level of amno acid glycine. So choose the appropirate glatin that fits your digestive system.
Choosing a form that suits your digestion makes sense - some peopel do better with hydrolysed, some with whole. I thought it was more an issue of having trouble breaking it down, or of it feeding some kinds of bacteria in the gut. I don't think there's such a thing as low-glycine gelatine - the glycine is a key part of the reason for eating it.

Antonello

I took 10g of hydrolyzed collagen dissolved in a cup of home made yogurt...long story short it gives me a very bad reaction, muscles spasm, anxiety, insomnia and headache.
Anyone with advisea on how to stops the endotoxin reaction in time? I need to sleep and I'm feeling under amphetamine right now -.-

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals