Recurring ulcer with headache, dizziness and vomiting

Henriette93

Hi. I need some advice for my boyfriends health issues that doesn't seem to go away.
He is 30 years old and skinny with high metabolism. He eats 3-4 times more than me daily and he keeps loosing weight. His current weight is 67kg, and he's 182cm tall.

He's been struggeling with nausea, dizziness, headaches, bad breath and vomiting for the past 5-6 years.
He's has had a really bad diet until about 1 year ago, when I convinced him to start eating more Peaty. Before that, he drank beer daily, he used extremely strong snus (tobacco under the lip) daily - arround 25 snus each day with really high amounts of nicotine, lots of PUFA, one bread daily, no vegetables, almost no fruit, no juice, very little milk etc. A diet mostly consisting of grains, beer and cheap meat.

He used to have trouble with nausea, headaches, dizziness and vomiting periodically very often. Now it is much more rare, but it's still quite often, every 2-3 months now.
The same things are happening each time; He starts to feel off, less energy, bad mood, terrible breath (exact same breath each time!), headaches, dizziness, very bad nausea and excess vomiting. Reflux is also a problem, especially during this time. It usually lasts for weeks..

I convinced him to go to his doctor 3-4 months ago when it got worse again. He had gastroscopy, along with blood tests that I guess was OK since he didn't get any feedback from the doctor regarding them, just that everything looked normal. The gastroscopy detected a small ulcer, and they blamed everything on this small ulcer, gave him somac and end of story..
His symptoms did not improve, as expected. But I did not manage to get him to contact his doctor again.. He is never taken seriously and he never gets any actual help, and he doesn't see the point of going back. The ulcer seemed to go away, as the symptoms disappeared for a while (2-3 months), but they returned this week.

I have convinced him to almost quit snus, and he's using a milder one now. Beers only a couple of times a month - just a few, he eats lots of fruits, veggies, mainly organic foods, good quality meats, almost entirely quit PUFAS, drinking milk every day, lots of cheese, gelatin/collagen often, broth/oxtail soup at least once a week, eating less bread and gluten, seafood once a week, etc. He also supplements tocovit, retinil, progesterone, vit K2, vit D, energin/niacinamide, but not often enough I guess, he's very forgetful.
He's not taken any covid vaccines.

The improved diet is helping, but not enough. We are pregnant and this is a huge problem, and we really need to find a solution before the little one arrives.
He just got a new doctor and I will try to convince him to see her, but the Norwegian healthcare system really sucks, so I doubt she will check him properly.

Any good tips? I really don't know how to help him, any tips and help is very much appreciated!

Momma

My first thought is some type of migraine; with serotonin involvement.
Congratulations on the baby, and for remaining unvaxxed. Two huge things.

ThinPicking

Ms Henriette could you tell us about his fluid habits please. For example what does he drink, when does he drink it, how much and how quickly. You can leave out the beer as it sounds quite infrequent now.

Sorry to ask but could you also tell us anything about his defecation habits. At the very least, is he regular and is it voluminous. I know it can be difficult sometimes to get some cooperation and compliance to get this kind of detail, even from a loved one. Please try if you can. If he's unsure please lobby him to pay attention and write it down.

It sounds an awful lot like there's an issue with the tone of movements/contractions somewhere in the gastrointestinal tract. Perhaps a kind of gastroparesis or paralytic ileus. That wouldn't necessarily be immediately visible in a single gastroscopy and without additional imaging. It would depend on his behaviour around the procedure and as the symptoms sound episodic, whether they were actually present at the time.

It could be a good thing that he's forgetful around these supplements. It's probably not ideal to be taking unnaturally concentrated substances while these symptoms are present. Retinil and progesterone in particular aren't trivial, they're quite powerful substances. Others are free to disagree of course.

The improved diet is helping, but not enough. We are pregnant and this is a huge problem, and we really need to find a solution before the little one arrives.
He just got a new doctor and I will try to convince him to see her, but the Norwegian healthcare system really sucks, so I doubt she will check him properly.
Don't worry and don't stress please lovely. You mustn't at this time.

Please do keep lobbying him to engage with the service. It's invaluable for the diagnostic side of this.

OP
Henriette93

Henriette93

@Henriette93 What does his breath smell like when it's bad?
It's a bit hard to explain, it is not a familiar smell. It smells alot, I can sit next to him in the car, facing away from him, and still smell it. Not a typical bad breath, not rotten. I think it smells like some strong kind of acid mixed with fart.. I often ask him if he farted, and realize that it's his breath.

OP
Henriette93

Henriette93

Ms Henriette could you tell us about his fluid habits please. For example what does he drink, when does he drink it, how much and how quickly. You can leave out the beer as it sounds quite infrequent now.

Sorry to ask but could you also tell us anything about his defecation habits. At the very least, is he regular and is it voluminous. I know it can be difficult sometimes to get some cooperation and compliance to get this kind of detail, even from a loved one. Please try if you can. If he's unsure please lobby him to pay attention and write it down.

It sounds an awful lot like there's an issue with the tone of movements/contractions somewhere in the gastrointestinal tract. Perhaps a kind of gastroparesis or paralytic ileus. That wouldn't necessarily be immediately visible in a single gastroscopy and without additional imaging. It would depend on his behaviour around the procedure and as the symptoms sound episodic, whether they were actually present at the time.

It could be a good thing that he's forgetful around these supplements. It's probably not ideal to be taking unnaturally concentrated substances while these symptoms are present. Retinil and progesterone in particular aren't trivial, they're quite powerful substances. Others are free to disagree of course.

Don't worry and don't stress please lovely. You mustn't at this time.

Please do keep lobbying him to engage with the service. It's invaluable for the diagnostic side of this.
Thank you for your reply.
He drinks enough I think. At work he drinks one glass of milk, 1 OJ, 1-2 glasses of water and one cup of coffee.
When he's home again, he drinks 1-2 glasses of milk, 0-1 OJ, 2-3 glasses of coke, 1+ water. Might be more, but I don't think that's far off.

His bowel movements are regular, 1-3 times daily. It is voluminous and rarely diahrrea.
But it is only recently that he started going when he's not at home, he's had anxiety arround using others toilets since he can remember. He didn't poop ONCE at school during his entire education! Had to force him to use my bathroom, and as his confidence got better, the problem solved itself.

Another thing that I've noticed, is that he is never sick. I've had covid 3 times, he's had it 0. We didn't try to avoid it very much and we often spent time with sick friends and family. He kissed me and didn't keep any distance while I was sick. He can't even remember the last time he was particularly sick.

Last week we had the stomach flu. My son got it on Thursday and puked all over the house. My and my second son woke up 2 days later with the same virus. I know how infectious this is, it is almost unavoidable. He's been feeling a bit off some days, but mostly fine. TODAY, one week after my first son started vomiting, he got it too. 4 days later than me and my other son. I think that's really weird and concerning. This is apparantly his first time ever having the stomach flu as he can remember. Allthough his siblings has had it numerous times.

So I guess his immune system probably has some major issues..

OP
Henriette93

Henriette93

My first thought is some type of migraine; with serotonin involvement.
Congratulations on the baby, and for remaining unvaxxed. Two huge things.
The least troublesome part is the headaches, I don't think it is migranes. He usually don't do anything about them unless he's really bothered. 500mg paracetamol fixes the headaches, but we try to avoid using that. Aspirin doesn't touch the headaches.
Weed seems to be the best cure for it..

Momma

The least troublesome part is the headaches, I don't think it is migranes. He usually don't do anything about them unless he's really bothered. 500mg paracetamol fixes the headaches, but we try to avoid using that. Aspirin doesn't touch the headaches.
Weed seems to be the best cure for it..
Migraines aren’t simply headaches. They are more in a class of a seizure disorder. And again, I believe serotonin is at play here.

OP
Henriette93

Henriette93

Migraines aren’t simply headaches. They are more in a class of a seizure disorder. And again, I believe serotonin is at play here.
Ok, thank you. Do you have any tips on how to figure out what's going on, or what we could try?

Momma

Ok, thank you. Do you have any tips on how to figure out what's going on, or what we could try?
I can tell you this- No MD is going to help you. I have a busy day ahead of me here, but if I can find some time i will link anything i find helpful from Peat et al.

Momma

These are in no particular order:

Jonk

First thing I would do is check with a dentist that he doesn't have any bacterial thing going on in the mouth.

Other than that, one thing I noticed with myself is that before I started Peating I was also very very skinny, weighing about 65 kg being 179cm tall. Also before I started Peating I didn't have a problem with going to the bathroom, which I think high serotonin can help with. It's like an emergency system where there's a lot of irritation in the gut creating serotonin to keep things moving. Maybe ask him to try and palpate around different areas of his abdomen. For me it felt like pins and needles, which might indicate that the intestines are working in this irritating stimulatory way. Something that might help is researching acetylcholine a bit. It's a controversial topic on the forum and I'm not going to pretend to understand it deeply, but for me right now, even if it's to early to tell, there seems to be a lot of benefit to increased choline (6-12 egg yolks/day) for digestion. Also benefit from betaine which might have a choline sparing effect. B5 and vitamin D are also things to look into.

OP
Henriette93

Henriette93

These are in no particular order:

Thank you, i'll read everything

OP
Henriette93

Henriette93

First thing I would do is check with a dentist that he doesn't have any bacterial thing going on in the mouth.

Other than that, one thing I noticed with myself is that before I started Peating I was also very very skinny, weighing about 65 kg being 179cm tall. Also before I started Peating I didn't have a problem with going to the bathroom, which I think high serotonin can help with. It's like an emergency system where there's a lot of irritation in the gut creating serotonin to keep things moving. Maybe ask him to try and palpate around different areas of his abdomen. For me it felt like pins and needles, which might indicate that the intestines are working in this irritating stimulatory way. Something that might help is researching acetylcholine a bit. It's a controversial topic on the forum and I'm not going to pretend to understand it deeply, but for me right now, even if it's to early to tell, there seems to be a lot of benefit to increased choline (6-12 egg yolks/day) for digestion. Also benefit from betaine which might have a choline sparing effect. B5 and vitamin D are also things to look into.
I'm pretty sure the breath cones from his stomach, and not his mouth. He never has this bad breath alone, it is always accompanied with nausea, headaches and dizziness. If he's feeling good, the bad breath isn't there.

The muscle between his stomach and throat is constantly open (don't know the english term for it), it doesn't close as it does for most people. I guess that's why the breath is so noticeable, since it's free passage from the stomach to the mouth..

I will dig deeper into serotonin. I'll also check out choline, thank you.

Momma

Maybe someone else can chime in as to why weed gives him relief. I’m not sure if that is estrogen progesterone at play or what. But this looks like a good starting point to help put more data together.

LuMonty

It's a bit hard to explain, it is not a familiar smell. It smells alot, I can sit next to him in the car, facing away from him, and still smell it. Not a typical bad breath, not rotten. I think it smells like some strong kind of acid mixed with fart.. I often ask him if he farted, and realize that it's his breath.
My wife had that issue from bad digestion. Insoluble fiber helped to clear things out; she prefers bamboo shoots with butter and salt. Salt is anti-serotonin and improves stomach acid, so it's easy and available to try; is he salting food to taste already? My wife also used thyroid to help improve her digestion but I'm not sure that's an option for you. Speaking for myself, I've used nicotine for digestion because it increases gastric secretions amongst other digestive benefits. Wouldn't be surprised if your bf intuitively knows this and is self-medicating.

Peatress

Based on his beer drinking history I wonder if it could be a fungal infection or parasites?

Congratulations and I hope all goes well with the birth.

OP
Henriette93

Henriette93

so before I started Peating I didn't have a problem with going to the bathroom, which I think high serotonin can help with. It's like an emergency system where there's a lot of irritation in the gut creating serotonin to keep things moving. Maybe ask him to try and palpate around different areas of his abdomen. For me it felt like pins and needles, which might indicate that the intestines are working in this irritating stimulatory way. Something that might help is researching acetylcholine a bit. It's a controversial topic on the forum and I'm not going to pretend to understand it deeply, but for me right now, even if it's to early to tell, there seems to be a lot of benefit to increased choline (6-12 egg yolks/day) for digestion. Also benefit from betaine which might have a choline sparing effect. B5 and vitamin D are also things to look into.
When I read the comments from him, he said that this sounded like what he is struggling with. He admitted to not have been completely honest about his struggles.. He recognized the pins and needles feeling you are talking about. He told me he didn't want to worry me, in case it was something seriously wrong. Guess who's worried now! He said that a stinging feeling also occurs every time this nausea/headache/vomiting/bad breath occurs.
Like if someone inserted a big needle into his anus and it stopped and hit his intestines, creating an intense, stinging feeling that really hurts. Almost like he is stabbed by a knife.

When I press on his left side, just below his ribs, he experience pain. Not using much pressure. He said the pain was a 7/10, but it was not the same stinging feeling, it just really hurt.

I think we have to take this more seriously than I thought.. My mom recommend a doctor with a ultrasound machine that checks the whole body. Could this be a option or is it just a waste of money?

Peatress

Conclusion: A high level of suspicion is required by physicians to recognize that fatigue, nausea, and vomiting may represent early signs of thiamine deficiency in patients at risk for nutritional deficiencies. Empirical thiamine supplementation may be reasonable in such cases.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals