Peating for kids

dd99

Hi all, I was wondering if any other parents with small children were Peating with them.

My 20-month-old son has been Peating along with me for about six months.

His diet generally consists of:
- Breakfast: 3 or 4 steamed apples in 1 tsp coconut oil with pinch salt (and a ripe banana if still hungry)
- Snacks: Un-strained yogurt with pureed fruits (1:1 ratio) or fruit and milk
- Lunch: organic chicken liver fried in coconut oil with a pinch of salt or grass-fed eggs in a frittata with grated carrot, zucchini and parmesan
- Dinner: beef, lamb, scallops, with potato or pasta and veggies (zucchini, broccoli, squash)

With every meal, he drinks a glass of full-fat goat's milk and eats fruits (grapes, papaya, oranges, melon, ripe bananas). He drinks orange juice occasionally, too, if I don't have any nice fruits to give him. I have tried cheese, but he doesn't like it.

Yesterday he had my homemade jelly for the first time (2 cups OJ, 2 tbsp Great Lakes red gelatin). He loved it. No, that's actually too weak a word to describe his reaction. He scoffed it! :-D

The only supplement I give him is vitamin D3 when he's had liver and hasn't had much sunshine, to balance the vitamin A.

Questions!

Is there anything you think I should tweak or that you think should be tweaked for children in general?

We used to eat salmon once a week when he was 6 to 12 months old, but have stopped doing that. I am slightly concerned, because parents are 'encouraged' (i.e. peer pressured) into giving their children omega-3s for brain development. Is there any evidence that children need fatty fish or omega-3s?

He drinks full-fat goat's milk. I've tried cow's milk many times, but he always gets very snotty and phlegmy (like me, incidentally). The problem I have with goat's milk is the goat's diet. I have tried milk from every major producer of goat's milk in the UK - none of whom are organic, because 'that isn't possible with goats, as they eat anything' - and they all proudly say that they feed their goats wheat and soya. :roll: Great, thanks. Is that something that could affect my son's health?

He sometimes gets cold hands and bluish lips after a meal. This happens most often after liver (he has it fried in coconut oil with a pinch of salt, a glass of milk and then fruit, like a whole papaya) or cold snacks like yogurt (non-strained with the same amount of pureed fruits) or fruit and milk (he doesn't like warm milk, so it's always cold from the fridge). Is that a sign of hypothyroidism? Or is it simply insufficient sugar to balance the meal? He's very warm apart from that - usually above 37.0C at all times - especially after his steamed apples with coconut oil that he has for breakfast.

He goes to nursery twice a week. When I signed him up, I tried to explain that he doesn't eat grains or bread. So they gave him 'pitta pizzas', because it didn't have the word 'bread' in it. :shock: After I explained where pittas come from, they tried to go grain-free for him, but he just ended up half starved: they would give him a teaspoon of hummus, a piece of carrot, or a mandarin. Which is okay for the vegan babies they have there (I am not kidding), but not for my little carnivore. So, I gave in and have let them give him gluten-free bread. I am certain they use vegetable oils in everything, as that is what people think is healthy around here. (And before anyone suggests I change nurseries, the care he receives is excellent, it's just that the food they provide has to follow government guidelines - and, in any case, there are 1 to 3 year waiting lists for every other half-decent nursery around here.) So, to offset the crap food he gets at nursery two days a week, is it enough to feed him well the rest of the week? Or should he be getting vitamin E to offset the PUFAs and grains, which is pretty much the only vitamin he's low in, as is customary when Peating?

What should I do when he gets a cold or catches something from other kids? He can't do the carrot salad yet, unfortunately. Is there something else I could give him to get the endotoxins passing through. I forgot to mention that he has very good BMs - two before midday and then another in the late afternoon (and - TMI! - unlike other kids, they don't smell bad, unless he's been at nursery the day before :holysheep).

Sorry for the huge number of questions! I would greatly appreciate any advice! He's a lovely, healthy, happy little guy - I just want to make sure what I'm doing is optimal!

LucyL

He's a kid. My advice is don't stress about it, or try to micromanage his diet too much. Just follow the simplest peat guidelines - coconut oil for cooking, PUFA's low, grains lowish, vegetables (mostly) cooked. Fruit good, jello good. Let him have a wide variety of foods. I posted this study in the "Babies" thread
Self Selection of Diet by Newly Weaned Infants, it's a really good read that shows children offered a wide variety of foods can nourish themselves quite well. And there is really very little unPeaty about it.

OP
dd99

dd99

Thanks, Lucy. Yes, that's what we're doing. Giving him the good foods you list, plus dairy, not forcing him to eat anything he doesn't want. The Clara Davis study you linked was the basis of the weaning book we used from his sixth month (although he breastfed until a year).

I may have come across as stressed, but I'm not. He's flourished eating this way.

pboy

looks pretty good man, I think the goats milk is crucial, or rather any milk...and it does have a decent amount omega3(if it is necessary for growing child)...so I wouldn't trip about that...and its balanced by sat fat so you win on both ends. Definitely I wouldn't do fatty fish cause the fat is usually not fresh, its anti thyroid, its overkill on very long chain fatty acids, and seafood have potential allergens and toxins. As for the nursery, if the care there outweights the food, id leave him especially if he likes it, cause creative and other development in a nurturing environment is crucial at that stage. I guess just keep working them and try to get a decent option. If he doesn't complain, its probably not too bad, but the foul smelling BM's are an indication of indigestion or fermentation usually...so if you can, try to limit it. Ive never had to feed children, so I think others might be able to help you more. I think its legit though man that you are getting him on a good intelligent start and care about details, awesome

OP
dd99

dd99

Thanks for the tips on goat's milk and fish, pboy. I completely agree on the nursery. They're lovely people and he enjoys it there. They are feeding those kids the best way they know how - it isn't through malice or neglect, just ignorance.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals