15 month old has RSV. 5 days of fever and very high temps....how to help him?

ddjd

Hi all,

unfortunately after 5 days of fever and temperatures of around 39-40 degrees (102-104) its confirmed my 15 month old son has RSV.

my partner has vaxx'd him with everything possible, despite me pleading with her not to, so it really doesnt surprise me how often he is sick, but this is definitely the worse he's been.

i begged her not to get the covid vaccination during pregnancy and luckily she waited until he was 1 year old and then she got the NOVAVAX vaccine and there was about a week where she breast fed him- nightmare i know when you think about potential shedding through breast milk.

anyway, she's currently giving him 125mg paracetamol (acetaminophen) every 6 hours, and has given him nurofen (Advil) kids version once when he was really bad. After 5 days of that amount of paracetamol, god knows what damage its done to his liver and entire system.

can anyone give me any advice or tips on how to help him recover from this - its so difficult when they are so little to know what to do.

thanks in advance

TradClare

If you have fresh garlic you can mince or crush it into a little olive oil. Smear it on his feet and cover with socks and it will absorb into the system. It is also great swabbed into the ears (just the oil, you don't want to leave garlic chunks in there). You could do this every few hours. I'm not sure what very high temps are to you, but I wouldn't be giving tylenol ever, but would consider something else only if the fever hit 105. You can also do lukewarm baths. We used a type of vaporub that was meant for children and a humidifier for comfort. Luckily only one of our five kids was ever that sick and only for 2 days. I'm really sorry you're going through this, it's so scary.

Perry Staltic

anyway, she's currently giving him 125mg paracetamol (acetaminophen) every 6 hours, and has given him nurofen (Advil) kids version once when he was really bad. After 5 days of that amount of paracetamol, god knows what damage its done to his liver and entire system.

can anyone give me any advice or tips on how to help him recover from this - its so difficult when they are so little to know what to do.

NAC to rebuild glutathione. That's what they use for paracetamol overdoses

joaquin

Giving Tylenol (acetaminophen) to a young child during fever is a recipe for sure disaster! It's hard to believe that in 2022 this stupid kind of thing still happens. The fever is trying to clear out toxins.
InCrEdUlOuS

angelina

I like Elderberry for sick children. It is safe for babies and might be something your partner would be amenable to using. I agree with the comment above about the humidifier and baths.

ThinPicking

Hope your son's doing well @ddjd.

If you're able to share back anything you did that helped another parent may happen upon it.

OP
ddjd

ddjd

Hi guys he's back to seemingly full health now. It was the sickest he's been and quite scary at the time, just glad we're through it. The cough persisted for several weeks and the fever itself lasted 5-6 days in total. Horrible time.

Really appreciate all your support.

Osukhan

happy he is doing better! did you do anything additional? or just let his immune sys take care of it?
I have four young children and would like to be prepared.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals